Thanks to the timing of the Destiny 2 launch, Bungie skipped the annual Halloween event, Festival of the Lost, in 2017. It did make a return last year with masks, Eververse armor, and the Horror Story auto rifle. Bungie has now detailed what we can expect for the Destiny 2 Festival of the Lost event in 2019. Suit up, Guardians!
When Does Festival of the Lost Start and End?
This year Festival of the Lost runs from October 29 to November 19 which gives you a full three weeks to get all of the rewards you’re looking for.
More Destiny 2:
- Welcome to The Vainguard, a Destiny 2 Fashion Column
- Destiny 2 Best Hunter Builds for Season of the Undying
- Destiny 2 Players Are Unrepentant Sinners Who Know Only Pain
Starting the Festival of the Lost
To start Festival of the Lost, head on over to Eva Levante in the Tower! She’ll give you a Masquerader Helmet and unlock the ability to earn Chocolate Strange Coins from bounties and activities.
You must be 770 Power to begin if you created your character after the launch of New Light, according to Bungie. Though it is interesting to note that the Haunted Forest only has a 750 minimum recommended Power. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves here.
The bounties will follow the new Shadowkeep structure with two weeklies, four dailies, and the option of picking up less rewarding random bounties.
Using Chocolate Strange Coins
What do you use these mysterious coins for? Xur is uninterested in your delectable delights, but Eva will take them in exchange for Festival of the Lost mask ornaments. Unfortunately these ornaments can only be equipped on the Masquerader’s Helmet and not just any Armor 2.0 helmet you own.
There are five masks to choose from this year: Hidden Swarm, Goblin, Mithrax, Opulent Calus, and Drifter Mask. Any masks you earned from last year’s events will be converted to ornaments for the helmet as well.
You can also purchase Festival of the Lost mods for the Masquerader’s Helmet:
- Higher Purpose: Damage resistance while airborne, increased damage to enemies, increased drop chance of Heavy ammo on kill.
- Vampiric Touch: Increased damage to challenging enemies, health regeneration triggered on precision kill, increased drop chance of Heavy ammo on kill.
- Energetic Assassin: Grenade and melee energy on precision kills, increased damage to Terrors, increased drop chance of Heavy ammo on kill.
You’ll also find yourself earning Candy throughout your escapades during the festival. Turn these in, again to Eva, and you can purchase Grab Bags and the Braytech Werewolf Legendary auto rifle. After you purchase the Masterworked 950 Power version of the weapon, you can opt to buy the weapon again (non-Masterworked) which will be random rolls. In short, this is a random roll version of the Braytech Winter Wolf from Mars. It’s a gun that fans have long wanted to have random rolls and Bungie is finally doing so.
It’ll set you back a whopping 1,000 pieces of Candy though, so get saving! Where do you get Candy? Well in the Haunted Forest of course…
The Haunted Forest
The Haunted Forest is back! It’s safe to say the experience will be similar to last year. Each match is a 15-minute race against time experience where your fireteam rushes to clear branch after branch. Killing enough enemies fills your meter. Completely doing so teleports your squad to the boss chamber where you’ll need to work together to bring it down.
You’ll then start over with another random set of branches, racing to clear as many bosses as possible in 15 minutes.
Note: The Haunted Forest is on Mercury, but the activity launches from The Tower!
There are two versions of the activity. The default version is a lower Power level and has matchmaking. The Firewalled Haunted Forest has no matchmaking. We suspect it’ll have better rewards.
There are two weekly challenges for the Forest. Defeating 25 Terrors rewards a Tier 3 Powerful engram. Clearing nine branches in one run rewards a Pinnacle drop.
It wouldn’t be a special event without themed cosmetics! Bungie has a universal ornament set for each class. They’ll set you back 1,500 Silver or 6,000 Bright Dust each. There’s also a broom sparrow, skeleton ship, ghost shells, and more.
If you missed anything from last year’s event, those are also available, but you’ll need to shell out some Silver to get them. As far as we know, those can’t be purchased with Bright Dust.
Festival of the Lost 2019 Triumphs
Speaking of milestones…these are the main way you progress through the event outside of leveling up for cosmetic engrams.
- Days of the Dead: Complete all Festival of the Lost 2019 Triumphs.
- A Frightening Power: Acquire the exclusive Festival of the Lost 2019 weapon.
- Strange Times: Collect Chocolate Strange Coins.
- Bountiful: Complete Festival of the Lost 2019 bounties.
- A Brilliant Smile: Brush your teeth (or your mastication module).
- Still Not Scared: Defeat Terrors in the Haunted Forest.
- Master of Disguise: Acquire all Festival of the Lost 2019 masks.
- Sweet Tooth: Collect candy.
- Sweet Surprise: Purchase Grab Bags from Eva Levante.
- REDACTED: REDACTED
Festival of the Lost 2019 Quests
We don’t know of any event quests just yet! Stay tuned!
And that’s it! Once the event is live we’ll be sure to update this with the latest details!