Another mainline Pokemon installment means pretending I know all the different type strengths and weaknesses only to continually look them up mid-battle. Even when I’m facing something as simple as a Fire type Pokemon, sometimes you want to do more than just throw Water at it, you know? While there’s always a quick and easy answer, we’ve prepared a whole guide for them.
Need to know their weaknesses and counters? Strengths and advantages? Best Fire Pokemon to hunt for in Pokemon Legends: Arceus? Look no further! If you’re looking for a complete Pokemon type chart, we have that as well — just head to the link below.
- Pokemon Sword and Shield Type Chart – Pokemon Strengths and Weaknesses
- Pokemon Shining Pearl is a Small Magikarp in a Big Ocean
- Pokemon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Can Sometimes Be Too Faithful a Remake
Pokemon Fire Type Weaknesses & Counters
Everyone knows that Fire Pokemon are weak to Water moves, but you actually have a few options beyond that. Both Ground and Rock are also super effective.
When it comes to defense, Fire moves struggle against other Fire Pokemon and their natural Water counters. But they also deal less damage to Rock and Dragon Pokemon, which is something you can really take advantage of.
Your ideal Pokemon combines both of these so you deal more damage and take less damage. We recommend any Water type-only Pokemon or the likes of Garchomp, who is both a Dragon and Ground type.
- Water: This is the safest bet for a Fire type counter. Samurott, Basculegion, Golduck, Tentacruel, Gyarados, and all the other Water primary types will do great since they both have Water moves and take less damage from Fire attacks.
- Rock: At the time of writing, Growlithe is likely one of the better counters to this type thanks to its new Hisuian form. Both Rock and Fire, it’ll take less damage while using some of the Rock moves it gains access to.
- Ground: Golem, Onix, Rhydon, and the aforementioned Garchomp are also great counters.
Need a quick cheat sheet?
|Fire Is Super Effective Against||Grass, Ice, Bug, Steel|
|Fire Is Not Very Effective Against||Fire, Water, Rock, Dragon|
|Fire Takes Double Damage From||Water, Ground, Rock|
|Fire Takes Half Damage From||Fire, Grass, Ice, Bug, Steel, Fairy|
Pokemon Fire Type Advantages
On the offensive side of things, Fire Pokemon have very predictable strengths. That means they’re great against Grass and Bugs, both of which get burned by the flames, and against Ice and Steel, which melt due to the searing temperatures. They also take half damage from Fire, Grass, Ice, Bug, Steel, and Fairy moves.
It’s a great idea to bust out a Fire type against the following Pokemon:
- Grass: Decidueye, Hisuian Voltorb
- Bug: Scyther, Beautifly, Dustox, Vespiquen
- Ice: Glalie, Abomasnow
- Steel: Magneton, Lucario
Just keep in mind that secondary types matter, too. You need to be careful because a lot of these are combined with Water, Ground, and Rock — all of which aren’t great to attack against as a Fire type.
Best Fire Type Pokemon in Arceus
Until we get our hands on Pokemon Legends: Arceus, there’s no real way to know who the strongest Pokemon are since much can change. For now, however, we’re comfortable saying the best Fire Pokemon are likely those that are Legendary or of the highest evolution possible.
Those Pokemon are:
Again, this is just a list of the safest Pokemon to pursue as they’re either safe picks or have historically been good in past entries. We’ll update this list once the game has been released.
Have your own recommendations? Let your fellow trainers know in the comments below!