[Disclaimer: Tencent, the parent company that owns Fanbyte, is also a majority holder of Grinding Gear Games, the developer of Path of Exile. That being said, there is no direct nor indirect involvement in coverage whatsoever. We do share the love for hack-n-slash games, but that’s about it, really.]
The Path of Exile identify items feature is an essential part of the experience in Grinding Gear Games’ free-to-play Diablo-like. As you explore the world and mow down foe after foe, having the right tools to identify new gear that might be beneficial for your current build is essential, especially on the go. As PoE continues to shift and evolve with each new Seasonal update, we’re diving into the not-so-obvious aspects of it so you can be prepared at all times. This guide explains how the identify feature works, as well as details about the Scroll of Wisdom.
How to Identify Items in Path of Exile
So, the action to identify items in PoE is a bit trickier than what you might be used to from your usual Diablo or Torchlight. While there is an item you can use, which is the Scroll of Wisdom, you can’t just purchase it from a vendor. Below are the ways in which you can get your hands on it:
- Using Scroll Fragments: If you happen to have at least five Scroll Fragments, you can stack them to create a Scroll of Wisdom
- Through vendor recipes: Most of the time you’re going to have to trade certain items to vendors (it can be any vendor) in exchange for Scrolls of Wisdom. Some of these include 1x Portal Scroll for 1x Scroll of Wisdom, 1x Orb of Transmutation for 4x Scrolls of Wisdom, 1x Orb of Alteration for 4x Scrolls of Wisdom, 1x Blacksmith’s Whetstone for 4x Scrolls of Wisdom, and 1x Armorer’s Scrap for 2x Scroll of Wisdom
- Taking down foes: Fairly straightforward, but yes, ground loot will sometimes include Scrolls of Wisdom, which comes in handy. That being said, due to the random nature of loot, you never know exactly when this is going to happen nor how many you’ll be able to obtain. Also, make sure to interact with chests and other containers, as well as Scribe’s Racks
That’s broadly it! In essence, it’s not too complicated, but it’s key to know exactly when you want to go ahead and identify an item as opposed to just leaving it be. For example, if your class specializes in, say, shields, I’d recommend saving scrolls for when a rare shield appears. Identifying not only showcases all the modifiers in an item, but also lets you equip it.
You May Also Like:
- Path of Exile: Sentinel Has Little Guys Tagging Along Who Empower Foes
- Path of Exile Loot Filter Guide – What They Are and How to Best Use Them
- Path of Exile Deal With the Bandits Guide – Best Choice and Rewards List
Of course, armor is a bit more tricky as you’re always on the lookout for new gear that can be beneficial, so the risk/reward factor is much more embedded there. But at the end of the day, if your plan is to sell the items, you’ll always get the best possible items in return for items that you have identified previously.