Those of you who haven’t yet completed the main story of The Division 2 and reached level 30 may find yourselves wondering what exactly happens afterward. At that point, the game needs to scale up so that enemies aren’t so easy to defeat. The game does this via World Tiers where all of the enemies in Washington DC get more health, do more damage, and are just harder overall. Our Division 2 World Tier Guide will walk you through the process of unlocking all five and give some basic info as to why you’d want to do so.
Note: There’s no way to go down a World Tier. Once you’re up, you’re up for good.
- Tips for Playing The Division 2: 11 Things the Game Doesn’t Tell You
- The Division 2 Masks Guide – All 12 Hunter Mask Locations
- The Division 2 Loadouts Guide: Tank, DPS, Skills Builds
What Are World Tiers?
World Tiers in The Division 2 unlock once you complete the game’s main campaign. After taking back DC, the Black Tusk will invade the city, undoing some of your work. These invasions target specific zones, and culminate in a stronghold.
There are five World Tiers in The Division 2 right now. Increasing your World Tier brings harder enemies and better, higher Gear Score loot. It also keeps the game challenging, upping the strength of your enemies so that you can’t just mow them down relentlessly.
It’s worth noting that, while the Black Tusk will also take over Control Points and other regional activities, these aren’t required completions. They can, however, help you increase your Gear Score as it is a requirement to rank up.
How to Unlock World Tier 1 – The Division 2
World Tier 1 can be unlocked as soon as you complete the game. But there are a few other things you have to do before the World Tier actually advances.
For one, you need to be level 30 and have chosen a specialization. In addition, you have to complete all three of the game’s launch strongholds.
Here’s how to unlock Gear Score in The Division 2:
- Reach level 30
- Complete the all three base strongholds – District Union Arena, Roosevelt Island, and the Capital Building
- Choose a specialization (Visit the quartermaster at the White House)
What Comes with World Tier 1
- Jared “The Snitch” Nash – A special vendor that gives out The Gun Runner’s location and info on a single high-value target.
- Cassie “The Gun Runner” Mendoza – Sells high-level loot. Can appear every day and a half, but needs to be located by The Snitch.
- The Deck of 52 – Kill all 52 bosses that correspond with each card. You’ll get loot and Commendations for these. The entire process repeats after you beat the end bosses.
- Daily & Weekly Projects – Here are your time limited missions. Complete them for consistent rewards.
How to Unlock World Tier 2 – The Division 2
Now that you’ve unlocked Gear Score, you need to keep increasing this rank to advance through the World Tiers. Your first measuring point is 275. Get there, complete two missions — as well as the District Union stronghold — and you can advance to World Tier 3 in The Division 2.
- Complete story mission: Grand Washington Hotel (Invaded)
- Complete story mission: Jefferson Trade Center (Invaded)
- Complete stronghold: District Union Arena (Invaded)
- Reach a Gear Score of at least 275
How to Unlock World Tier 3
It’s time for another region, two more missions, and a stronghold. Just increase your Gear Score by 50 and you’re in!
- Complete story mission: Air & Space Museum (Invaded)
- Complete story mission: Space Administration (Invaded)
- Complete stronghold: Capitol Building (Invaded)
- Achieve a Gear Score of at least 325
How to Unlock World Tier 4
This was the highest World Tier available in The Division 2 at launch. Get to Gear Score 375.
- Complete story mission: Potomac Event Center (Invaded)
- Complete story mission: Federal Emergency Bunker (Invaded)
- Complete stronghold: Roosevelt Island Stronghold (Invaded)
- Have a Gear Score of at least 375
What Comes with World Tier 4
- Priority Target Network – A set of seven tired bounties that scale as you beat them. A good source of loot!
- Challenging difficulty level unlocked!
- Priority Missions – Daily assignments to replay and complete story missions on hard/challenging or higher.
- Control Point Scaling – Each time you complete an activity around a Control Point, the difficulty of the Control Point will scale up. You can do this four times, at which point the Control Point becomes Heroic difficulty. Higher difficulties reward better loot.
- Tidal Basin Content Unlocked – Complete this Tidal Basin content to go to World Tier 5!
How to Unlock World Tier 5
World Tier 5 came to The Division 2 in an update called “Battle For DC on April 5, 2019. It comes along with a new stronghold called Tidal Basin, which needs to be completed in order to reach the new maximum World Tier. Do that and you’ll be on par with the rest of the endgame players.
- Earn a Gear Score of at least 425
- Complete stronghold: Tidal Basin (Invaded)
What Comes with World Tier 5
- Gear Sets added to the loot pools.
- Weekly Invasions – Black Tusk will now invaded main missions and strongholds. These rotate weekly. Complete them for rewards!
- Heroic difficulty unlocked!
And that’s all you should need to know about World Tiers in The Division 2! Thanks for taking the time to read our guide. We’ll be sure to add more later, as The Division 2 continues to roll out its free content updates. Until then, have fun and take care!