The train that is Grand Theft Auto V and GTA Online simply does not stop rolling. While we know Rockstar Games is officially hard at work developing Grand Theft Auto VI, that doesn’t mean the features coming to the former title, now released nearly a decade ago, are stopping any time soon. Today, the developer announced the launch of a new subscription for those that frequent the online servers of Los Santos. Called GTA+, this is an exclusive membership service for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S and costs $5.99 per month starting March 29. But is it worth the money? In this guide, we examine every month’s offerings and help you figure out if it’s worth it.
More Grand Theft Auto:
- What It’s Like to Be Impossibly, Disgustingly Rich in GTA Online
- The Strange Tale of Rockstar Loft, Rockstar Games’ Short-Lived Club Night
- The Photographers Capturing Red Dead Redemption’s Virtual Vistas
GTA+ Subscription Offerings for GTA Online (April 2022)
From the sound of it, each month you can expect to receive $500,000 in GTA Online cash, a couple of freebies, discounts, some free upgrades, cosmetics, and extra GTA cash, RP, or reputation when running certain events.
Here is everything you get for being a subscriber at any point between March 29 to April 27, straight from Rockstar’s announcement blog post.
- GTA$500,000 delivered automatically to your Maze Bank Account.
- The Principe Deveste Eight — along with a complimentary Hao’s Special Works upgrade for it before it is made available to purchase by the general public — plus the HSW Orange Trip and HSW CMYK Glitch Liveries.
- The Auto Shop located in La Mesa, introduces an assortment of gameplay updates from Los Santos Tuners. Current Auto Shop owners can relocate to La Mesa at no additional cost.
- Waived LS Car Meet Membership fees. Current LS Car Meet members with GTA+ will be reimbursed GTA$50,000 during this event period.
- Yacht owners can upgrade to the Aquarius Super Yacht at no additional cost.
- The Gusset Frog Tee and Broker Prolaps Basketball Top and Shorts automatically added to your wardrobe.
- The Conveyor Livery for the Mammoth Avenger, HVY APC, and TM-02 Khanjali.
- A selection of free paints and emblems for the Auto Shop.
- 3X GTA$ and RP on Hao’s Special Works Race Series.
- 2X Car Meet Rep on the Street Race Series.
Is GTA+ Worth It This Month?
Okay, but how much is all of that worth really? The money is a nice benefit, but isn’t going to suddenly make you rich. A single Deluxo, the flying car, will set you back at least $4,700,000. Doing the math, that’s a full ten months of GTA+ subscription. Even a basic sports care like the Adder costs two full months of GTA+ money. We’ll take it into account when making calculations, but ultimately the subscription is more about the things you get entirely free.
If you have little money in GTA Online, there are three main bonuses this month:
- $500,000 in cash.
- The Principe Deveste Eight car, worth $1,795,000.
- A free Auto Shop in La Mesa, worth $1,920,000.
There are some small bonuses too like waivers for the $50,000 car meet fees if you’re playing those, some paints and emblems, liveries, etc. They’re ultimately negligible unless you’re grinding a ton of car meets.
The only other big bonus applies if you’re already rich and settled in. As the notes say, yacht owners can upgrade to the Aquarius Super Yacht at no additional cost. What’s the difference? The base yacht costs $6,000,000 (which you already have to own) and comes with one helipad, two NPC crew members, and the ability to summon a helicopter and Dinghy. The Aquarius Super Yacht has two helipads, a hot tub, upgrades the helicopter to the SuperVolito Carbon, adds the Lampadati Toro speedboat, and gives you a small fleet of four Speedophile Seasharks. Normally this would run you $8,000,000, so if you’re looking to upgrade, GTA+ will save you a full two million.
If you do not own a yacht or have the money to take advantage of the upgrade, you’re still getting rewards equaling $4,215,000 in GTA cash for free. If you were buying Shark Cash Cards this would cost you about $60 which honestly says more about the cost of Shark Cards than it does the value of this membership.
All in all, April 2022 is a decent offering. If you already own an Auto Shop or the Principe Deveste Eight, the value of the subscription drops immensely. You’ll always “save” money, however, considering $500,000 in GTA cash normally runs a full $9.99. GTA+ seems to want to help people catch up to the trillionaires of GTA Online. There’s significantly less value in the subscription if you’re already swimming in cash and have a full collection of every car in the game.
For those just starting out, it’s hard not to recommend GTA+. Without it you’re going to spend months and months grinding just to get a footing. Until you have a money-making scheme from all the properties and businesses you can own, it’s really hard to amass any significant amount of cash.