Genshin Impact’s newest Weekly Boss is none other than Raiden Shogun. In vessel/puppet-form, to be precise. After things seemingly returned to normal in Inazuma, Raiden Ei’s doppelganger, who had been ruling the nation in her absence, decided to pick a fight. Long story short; it’s up to us to end it.
The Raiden Shogun’s Trounce Domain has been introduced in Genshin Impact 2.5. Located beneath the Grand Narukami Shrine, you’ll have to meet several requirements in order to unlock it. Once you do, you’ll be up against a pretty tough opponent.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Raiden Shogun Domain including her attack patterns and the best team compositions.
How to Unlock the Raiden Shogun Weekly Boss Domain
Usually when miHoYo introduces a new boss, you get a notification in the event menu which you can just click and go to the Domain’s location. However, things are a little different this time.
The new Domain is automatically unlocked by completing the second Raiden Shogun Story Quest called Imperatrix Umbrosa Chapter: Act II – Transient Dreams. Open your Journal and click the Story Quest button to find it. Not every Genshin Impact player will be able to start the second Raiden Shogun quest right away, however. Here’s a list of the requirements:
- Spend one Story Key to unlock this quest. If you complete eight daily quests, you have enough to claim a Key in your Journal.
- Adventure Rank of at least 40.
- Complete Archon Quest Chapter II: Act III – Omnipresence Over Mortals.
- Complete the first part of Ei’s Story Quest, Imperatrix Umbrosa Chapter: Act I – Reflections of Mortality, which becomes available after finishing the main questline in Inazuma.
How to Defeat the Raiden Shogun: Strategy
Since it’s really hard to get close to Raiden Shogun without getting hit, try to maintain an active shield. You still need to dodge though, as the attacks are very strong and successful hits will charge the dreaded Baleful Shadowlord state.
The best strategy is to stun Raiden Shogun by destroying the correct illusion or Magatsu Electroculi. If Baleful Shadowlord activates, see it as another opportunity to stun the boss by defeating the Shadowlord form. After that, just throw your best Elemental Skills and Bursts at her.
Best Team to Defeat Raiden Shogun
Raiden Shogun is, of course, an Electro boss. However, remember that the Flower of Remembrance during the Final Calamity attack is best charged with that same Element. In other words, it’s wise to bring an Electro character with you. Ironically, the best candidate is Raiden Shogun herself as she can generate Energy for the team.
Pyro and Cryo characters are usually the most effective damage dealers. They can also take down the Electro shield pretty quickly. Due to Raiden’s high range and mobility, ranged DPS characters such as Ganyu and Yoimiya are your best options. Avoid using fixed attacks like Xiangling’s Elemental Skill, which drops a flame-throwing teddy bear on the field (good luck hitting Ei’s vessel with that). The Burst, on the other hand, works fine.
Oh, and do you know the best remedy against annoyingly high-range Electro attacks? A Zhongli shield. Thoma, Diona, or even Noelle can offer similar protection.
Top Tier Team
- Main DPS: Yoimiya, Ganyu, Hu Tao
- Sub DPS: Kazuha, Shenhe (if using more Cryo)
- Sub DPS/Support: Raiden Shogun
- Support: Zhongli
- Main DPS: Kaeya, Aloy
- Sub DPS: Xiangling
- Sub DPS/Support: Bennett
- Support: Noelle
Raiden Shogun Domain Rewards
Naturally, defeating a weekly boss rewards you with Character Level-Up Materials, Ascension Materials, Weapon Enhancement Materials, and Artifacts. Here’s the full list:
- Adventure Rank Experience, Companionship Experience, and Mora.
- Artifacts: Gladiator’s Finale and Wanderer’s Troupe.
- Dream Solvent, used to change Character Level-Up Materials.
- Weapon billets for crafting.
- Electro Ascension Materials (Vajrada Amethyst).
- Three different Weekly Boss drops:
- Mudra of the Malefic General (Currently Unused)
- Tears of the Calamitous God (Currently Unused)
- The Meaning of Aeons. This is needed for Yae Miko’s Ascension. If you get the other two, visit a crafting station and use the Dream Solvent to switch.
Collecting the rewards costs 30 Original Resin if you haven’t already defeated three Weekly Bosses. Otherwise, it’s 60 Original Resin.
Raiden Shogun Ley Line Disorder
If you want your Weekly Boss grind to be successful, it’s wise to read up on attack patterns and special abilities. Let’s start with Raiden Shogun’s Ley Line disorders:
- Ominous Destiny. The circular meter is filled over time, an effect which is increased when Raiden Shogun hits you. If the meter is full, she enters the Baleful Shadowlord form.
- While the boss is in Baleful Shadowlord form, she deals extra damage and gains greater damage resistance. Your active characters, on the other hand, lose Energy at certain intervals.
Raiden Shogun Boss Attacks
Ei’s vessel has the following attacks (outside of Baleful Shadowlord):
- Normal blade attacks. There are a few variations, but it’s mainly Electro slashes. Don’t underestimate their range.
- Dashing attacks. If you’re far away from Raiden Shogun, she might dash towards you.
- Electro blades. Hurls an Electro blade at you from a distance.
- A variation of this attack hurls not one, but four blades at you. They increase in size, but they’re also slower.
- Large AOE Electro strike. You know it’s coming when Raiden Shogun starts spinning her blade.
- Lightning strikes. If you see a purple circle on the ground, make sure to dodge before the lightning strikes hit you.
- Musou no Hitotachi. Electro orbs start falling from the sky. Another large AOE attack.
- Shield. Raiden Shogun is standing still, surrounded by Electro that blocks all incoming damage. You can still attack her to destroy the shield though.
- Electro phantoms. Summons several clones. You have a short moment before they materialize and start hurling Electro blades at you, so be ready to dodge.
- One of them is actually Raiden Shogun. If you hit that one, she’s stunned for a while.
- It seems that the phantom who does the double blade attack (shape of an “X”) is the right one. The others only throw single blades.
- Magatsu Electroculi. Arguably the most important one, as its AOE encompasses the entire battlefield. You’ll see an Electroculus orb appear on the field, with a white HP meter next to it.
- Destroy it in time to avoid a deadly explosion.
- Destroying the Electroculus stuns Raiden Shogun for a short duration.
- It can also come in the form of several smaller orbs, each with their own AOE. Don’t end up in two AOEs at the same time, or you’ll receive double the damage.
Baleful Shadowlord Attacks
When the (almost) inevitable happens and Raiden Shogun takes on her Baleful Shadowlord form, be prepared for the following attacks:
- Continuous Energy Drain. This will happen to any active character. There’s nothing you can do against this, apart from defeating the Shadowlord form.
- Once Raiden Shogun returns to her normal self, you’ll regain full Energy.
- When that happens, she’ll also be stunned.
- Normal blade attacks. Consists of both slashing with and throwing Electro blades.
- Crushing hands. You can’t miss this one; two hands will surround you and crush you if you don’t dodge in time.
- Electro torpedo. You can see it moving towards you on the ground. Keep sprinting until it explodes.
- Summoning swords. The three swords themselves aren’t the problem; it’s the Electro rings they summon at certain intervals. You can dodge through them, jump over, or use a shield.
- The Final Calamity. You’ll see two giant hands fold around the Baleful Shadowlord before disappearing. At the same time, a Flower of Remembrance appears on the battlefield. Charge it with Elemental Attacks, and a shield will form.
- Electro attacks are the quickest way to charge the Flower of Remembrance.
- This is the most important Baleful Shadowlord attack to memorize. Stay inside the shield, as it’s the only thing to protect you from the Shadowlord’s fatal attack that comes next.
Did you manage to defeat the Raiden Shogun puppet yet? Share your experience in the comments!