On May 27, 1996, Scott Hall made his WCW Monday Nitro debut, hopping the guardrail to interrupt a match between Steve Doll and The Mauler to
declare the summer of 1996 the summer of the denim tuxedo war on World Championship Wrestling.
Scott Hall's Denim Tuxedo
There is no look from the era—even The Rock's track suits—that hold up better than the denim tuxedo that Hall wore throughout the summer of 1996.
- Denim jeans.
- Denim vest.
- Despite the fact that Hall is still speaking in his Razor Ramon accent, his wearing street clothes for this promo effectively broke the cartoony facade WCW had built around Hulk Hogan to that point, lending an edginess to the early portion of this angle that wouldn't have been there had he shown up in training attire or, God forbid, wrestling gear. He was able to effectively shed his WWF character here, which was beyond stagnant at the end of his run, and establish himself as a guy who would really beat the crap out of you, as opposed to talking about how he used to beat people up in Cuba or wherever.
- Denim, guys.
- Simultaneously a look anybody can pull off and a look nobody can pull off as well as Scott Hall.
- The promo attached to the denim tuxedo is pretty good, too.
- Kinda weird that I can trace back my own fashion choices as an adult to a specific moment in wrestling history, not gonna lie.
- Scott Hall never wrestled in this outfit.
- Not wearing a shirt probably helped with the heat in the miserable arenas of the 1990s, but I imagine Scott Hall's nipples paid a price for the sake of looking good.