Billy Gunn’s tattoo choker is like a cherry on top of a sundae. In Gunn himself, you’ve got all of the elements of a good time: ice cream, nuts, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and the time and solitude required to assemble those elements as opposed to horking down a pint of Cherry Garcia in the dark of your bedroom. The cherry on the top of the sundae is taking the sundae experience to the next level and ditching the concerns of real life entirely, or like going from “Hey, Mr. Ass is wrestling in 2021” to “HEY, MR. ASS IS WRESTLING.”
I’m on team HEY, MR. ASS IS WRESTLING to begin with, but the choker, a regular accessory for Billy Gunn since his days as the himbo of D-Generation X, is his not infrequent companion on AEW television. Billy Gunn is now, for the record, 58 years old, and wrestling with his two sons as the trio of Gunn Club. Billy Gunn’s tattoo choker is, for the record, one of wrestling’s immortal looks.
Billy Gunn's Tattoo Choker
Struggling not to break around his tree trunk like neck, Billy Gunn's tattoo choker is one of the noblest accessories in wrestling.
- So much neck. So little choker.
- I love an older guy who wears an accessory that is simultaneously out of fashion by decades but still in fashion with certain subsections of culture of which he is not a part. It's so seedy.
- The sheer number of tattoo chokers in the women's division suggests either a large number of Mr. Ass fans in the locker room, or Mr. Ass showing solidarity with the division.
- His sons are completely unembarrassed by their dad's neck adornment. Love a supportive family.
- Doesn't wear it all the time. Live the gimmick, Billy Gunn.
- Nobody has tried to choke him with his tattoo choker.