- Division 2's max Gear Score will remain at 500 despite the Operation Dark Hours raid release.
- Massive is updating some endgame content to be more consistent for max Gear Score players.
- Title Update 3 is coming later this month.
The last update to The Division 2 increased the maximum World Tier up to World Tier 5. With that came new weapons and items at 500 Gear Score. This has been the new cap for a good while now. Massive Entertainment had plans to increase the cap to 515 with the upcoming Title Update 3, but it has backed down from that in a development blog today.
“Gear Score 500 items would have been outdated immediately, and all the effort you put into min/maxing and farming your builds would have been wasted just as the Raid goes live,” the post reads. “We don’t want to invalidate your progression and we heard that feedback loud and clear from our community. Your gear and your builds are important to you and to us.”
More Like This:
- The Division 2 Nemesis Exotic Guide – Quest Steps, Perks
- The Division 2 Builds Guide: Best Tank, DPS, Skills Loadouts
- The Division 2 Weapon Guide – Exotics, Mods, Talents
This isn’t necessarily surprising given the community’s reaction to the previous patches. Thanks to Gear Score increases and bi-weekly balance updates, players have to frequently change their builds and gear. Never being able to stay at the power level cap only exacerbates that problem.
Later on in the post, the developer acknowledges this. “We don’t want the focus to be on constantly chasing a higher Gear Score, when it should be about finding a playstyle and build that you enjoy”
What is more surprising, however, is Massive’s decision to not increase the Gear Score of the Operation Dark Hours raid drops. This is the first raid ever in a Division game, and the expectation was that it would contain the best gear available. That might still be the case thanks to perks, damage output, and passive boosts, but it won’t be because of a straight upgrade in Gear Score.
In addition, there are some really good changes for players who have already reached the Gear Score cap.
- We have increased the rewards for daily Priority Hard and Challenging missions. Once you’ve reached Gear Score 500, those activities will guarantee Gear Score 500 drops.
- Heroic Mission bosses, Stronghold bosses and Bounty bosses, as well as Control Point Alert Level 4 reward containers guarantee Gear Score 500 items if your average Gear Score is at 500.
- DZ contaminated loot does not drop below player’s average Gear Score. When you’ve reached an average Gear Score of 500, Contaminated loot will guarantee Gear Score 500 items.
- We’ve balanced loot across the board to reduce the chances of items dropping at a lower Gear Score than that of your character.
Of course none of these changes are actually live just yet. Massive keeps iterating through these patches on their public test servers and after feedback it looks like this is what will go live later on this month. We’ll make sure to keep our guides up to date with the latest information once this all does take place.
Looking for something else to do while you wait? Head on over to our Division 2 hub for guides on how to get all of the exotic weapons, hunter masks, and more!