Uncharted Movie Loses its Sixth Director Due to Scheduling Conflicts

Spider-man. Spider-man. Messing up movies because he can.

Just under three months after he became attached to the project, director Travis Knight is no longer working on the Uncharted film adaptation.

A report from Deadline says sources close to the film’s production have confirmed shooting been pushed back to compensate for Tom Holland, who is set to play a younger version of protagonist Nathan Drake in the film, so he can work on the next Spider-man film set to take place in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There’s no word yet on who will take Knight’s place, but whoever it is will be the seventh director attached to Nathan Drake’s big screen debut. The film has been in some form of development hell for over 11 years, so much so that Mark Wahlberg, who was in talks to play Drake at an earlier point in development, is now in talks to play Victor “Sully” Sullivan, the father figure and mentor of the treasure hunter.

There’s also no official word on when Uncharted will ultimately come to theaters now, as it was originally scheduled to come out in December of this year, but with everything shifting around it’s likely we won’t see it until 2021 at the earliest.

You might also like:

While the Uncharted movie has been floundering about for years at this point, the Deadline report says that sources claim the film is still a priority for Sony and PlayStation, as it will be the first collaboration between Sony’s film branch and the recently founded PlayStation Productions, which is a division of PlayStation specifically working on adaptations of various Sony video game properties. Given the names attached to it, you would think that the movie might be slowly (and painfully) working its way out of this vicious cycle of bringing in talent just to never get off the ground, but with each subsequent director loss it seems like the project is incapable of maintaining personnel.

Seven is supposed to be a lucky number though, right?

It looks like what is Uncharted’s loss is the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s gain, as the next Spider-man film is coming to theaters on July 16, 2021. The movie had its own roadblock at the end of last year after negotiations between Disney and Sony about rights to the character fell through, seemingly plucking Peter Parker out of the MCU only a few months after Spider-man: Far From Home left him on a huge cliffhanger. But a new agreement came together about a month after the very public fallout.

As for the video game side of things, the Uncharted series is on ice at the moment (hopefully for good, but ending franchises with integrity is not the video game industry’s strong suit), and developer Naughty Dog is in the final months of development for The Last of Us: Part II, which is set to launch on May 29 after a delay out of February.

Tags

Kenneth Shepard

Kenneth is a Georgia-based writer who still periodically cries about the Mass Effect trilogy years after it concluded.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Close