It sounds like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: Complete Edition isn’t meeting its originally projected “Holiday 2020” release window, but it doesn’t look like we’ll have to wait too much longer, as it’s been announced the re-release of the beat ’em up based on the graphic novel series/movie adaptation will launch on January 14 of next year.
The announcement came from a brief animation posted to the film’s Facebook page, confirming Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: Complete Edition will come to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Microsoft Windows, and Google Stadia next month. The re-release contains the base game, as well as adds Knives Chau and Wallace Wells in as a playable characters, both of which were downloadable content for the original back in the day. The game launched originally in 2010 as a tie-in to the movie, but was definitely drawing from imagery and the stylings of the graphic novels, all in a 16-bit style evocative of some arcade beat-em-ups. It follows much of the story of the source material, with the titular Scott Pilgrim fighting his new girlfriend Ramona Flowers’ evil exes who apparently harass anyone she ever pursues romantically. The four-player co-op lets you and three friends play as Scott Pilgrim, Stephen Stills, Kim Pine, or Ramona Flowers, each with their own ending. They’re more or less funny “what if” scenarios, but the getting there is fun enough.
But really, the only way any Scott Pilgrim product can be considered “complete” is if it ends with Stephen Stills getting to walk into the sunset with Joseph, an omission from the movie and the game that has irked me to this day.
In other news:
- Dragon Age Voice Actor Might Not Reprise His Role as Cullen After Lash-Out
- Casey Hudson and Mark Darrah Leave Bioware And I’m Supposed to Remain Calm?
- The Last of Us Part II’s Abby Trailer Raises Questions of Avoidable Controversy
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: Complete Edition is pretty much saving the original game from becoming a sad story of poor game preservation, as it’s been a pillar of conversations around the subject since Ubisoft delisted the game from digital storefronts back in 2014. Talks of re-releasing the game as part of a 10-year-anniversary celebration of the movie started happening earlier this year, with both the novel’s author and illustrator Bryan Lee O’Malley and the film’s director Edgar Wright floating the idea out there. In August, O’Malley said that Ubisoft had reached out to him, but according to a statement issued to Kotaku, it was then that he learned the re-release had been in development for some time. Wild how there can be all these moving parts in these things, to the point where the creator can be completely unaware of his IP being used in a large scale project until he tweets about it.
I guess they (Ubisoft) had been working on it for a while, and people at Universal were supposed to be telling me about it, but there was a communication breakdown,” O’Malley told Kotaku. “So months ago when Ubi tweeted that emoji at me, that was because their PR people thought I knew about it and was being a tease.”