No Man’s Sky is getting a new update that will allow you to adopt little alien creatures to join you on your intergalactic quest. The Companions update has already gone live, so you can pick up your alien pet at your leisure.
Here’s the reveal trailer that gives you a sense of how these alien friends will add to your journey. At their smallest forms they’ll follow you and frolic around the procedurally-generated world, but as they grow you’ll be able to take them for a ride or they’ll help you fight off hostile enemies.
More No Man’s Sky
- No Man’s Sky Origins Update Finally Makes Planets Feel More Alive
- Look at These Worms in the No Man’s Sky Origins Update | Fanbyte Plays
- No Man’s Sky Now Has A Music Synth For An Obscure Electronic Genre
Like most things in No Man’s Sky, the companions’ appearance won’t be fixed, and they will instead be determined by their parents’ traits, or changed through genetic modification mechanics. But every time a pet-like creature shows up in a game, it begs the question: can you pet the [domesticated animal thing]? There are no head pats to be seen in the trailer, but that doesn’t mean we can’t still imagine what it would be like to pet these new friends. So let’s rate a few of the No Man’s Sky companion babies by how much we’d like to pet them.
This little dude with horns
- Look at his lil’ hands.
- I want to boop his nose.
- I bet he likes scratches around his horns.
Verdict: 10/10, would pet.
This frightened armadillo rat looking friendo
- This little guy loves belly rubs. You can just tell.
- Who among us doesn’t like watching a pet go from scared of its new surroundings to lovingly curling up with you on the couch?
- Horn scratches.
Verdict: 10/10 would fly to a different planet to find him and give him love.
Is that a fucking dragon?
- Is definitely particular about when and where it likes to be pet, but once you find the sweet spot (behind the ears) you’re golden.
- Big head pat potential.
Verdict: 10/10, would brave the dangers of No Man’s Sky’s horror update for head pats.
If Godzilla and the Giant Condor had a baby
- Feathers and scales? Big 2-in-1 energy from this guy.
- So curious about the world he didn’t even look at the camera.
Verdict: 10/10, would get over fear of birds and reptiles to give pets.
- Get it away from me.
Verdict: 0/10, would not touch with a ten-foot pole.