Despite rumors that the latest entry in the Battlefield series would be announced last week, Electronic Arts hinted this week that the actual reveal would take place in June. During an investor call today, CEO Andrew Wilson confirmed that to be the case, calling the game a “true next-generation game,” which might actually mean nothing.
Geoff Keighley chimed in with some other details, which also mean nothing.
He said to expect:
– Epic scale
– All-out warfare
– Game changing destruction pic.twitter.com/aFfx6AeZXR
— Geoff Keighley (@geoffkeighley) May 11, 2021
A few months ago, EA Chief Studios Officer Laura Miele revealed that Criterion has paused working on Need for Speed to help out on the new Battlefield game, with the obvious implication that Battlefield needs to make it this year and Need for Speed does not.
While Wilson did not name any platforms for the new Battlefield, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X make obvious candidates and fit in well with the statement of being “a true next-generation game.” PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are also likely candidates and just kind of throw that statement in the trash, but you know, marketing is about what people choose to hear and not what’s actually said.
Regardless, we should find out more about Battlefield next month and then likely further again in July when EA Play airs on July 22.