Ubisoft has announced a limited event for For Honor that will bring back the long dormant Prince of Persia series, but maybe not in the way fans were expecting.
The “Blades of Persia” event will feature the titular Prince of Persia as a powerful enemy disrupting the standard competitive For Honor game. Beating him will net whichever team does it additional points, but he will respawn throughout the match. So if you missed him the first time, he’ll be back to pester you once again.
The Prince isn’t the only thing changing for Blades of Persia, as the map will be changing to look like the world of Prince of Persia and several cosmetics, including weapons, executions, and costumes referencing the series will be made available during the two-part event. Part one launches today, while part two will begin next week on March 19 and will last for two weeks.
You may also like:
- E3 2020 is Officially Cancelled Due to Coronavirus Concerns
- Division 2 Shifts to Seasonal Model With ‘Warlords of New York’ Expansion
- Ghost Recon: Breakpoint Vehicles Guide – Best Vehicles, Vehicle Locations
For For Honor fans, this is probably cool, as it’s more of the game they play, with a little bit of alterations to keep things fresh and that’s always fun. For people who play For Honor and are fans of Prince of Persia, it’s a neat way to see games you like coming together in ways that compliment both franchises. But for people in this venn diagram who only play Prince of Persia, this might be a little off-putting considering Ubisoft hasn’t made a mainline game in the series in over a decade at this point.
This is becoming a trend for Ubisoft and its live games where the company uses a dormant IP as set dressing for games it’s still supporting with no apparent plan to create a new game in that setting. The Prince of Persia is a limited-time obstacle in For Honor, but the last time he starred in his own game on consoles was in 2010’s Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands. Since then, Ubisoft has released two Prince of Persia mobile games. There was also a movie starring the very white man Jake Gyllenhaal as the Prince, which the actor has since said he regrets doing, and says it was a teaching moment for him that not every role is meant for him.
But before Prince of Persia got made into a For Honor event, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, which hasn’t seen a new game since 2013’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist, was also featured in a separate game’s event in Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands in 2018. This was in the form of “Special Operation One: Splinter Cell,” which included protagonist Sam Fisher in a mission. Since then, Ubisoft has disputed claims that it is working on any future Splinter Cell game after a rogue Twitter post seemingly confirmed something was in development.
If nothing else, maybe an uptick of interest in the series could result in Ubisoft looking into making a new Prince of Persia. But considering nothing’s come of Splinter Cell yet, I might be overly optimistic.