It’s one thing to know that big companies in the video game industry make a whole lot of money, it’s another to be reminded of it when a company makes an acquisition to the tune of more money than I’m ever going to see. Like when Microsoft casually acquired Bethesda for $7.5 billion. Well, Electronic Arts is making another pricey acquisition, only about four months after acquiring Codemasters for $1.2 billion in December. This time, the company has absorbed Glu Mobile, the developer behind mobile games like Kim Kardashian Hollywood and Disney’s Sorcerer’s Arena.
— Electronic Arts (@EA) April 29, 2021
In other news:
- Microsoft is Reducing its Cut on Windows PC Game Sales
- Resident Evil Re:Verse Multiplayer Delayed, Won’t Launch Alongside Village
- Super Mario Party Gets Its First Update in Years to Add Online Play
“We’re thrilled to welcome Glu Mobile to our Electronic Arts family,” said EA CEO Andrew Wilson. “The combination of our talented teams and powerful IP positions us as a leader in the largest gaming category in the world. We are forming a powerful growth engine that will expand our current games and deliver more amazing new experiences across sports, lifestyle, mid-core, and casual for players everywhere.”
“Today is an exciting day for Glu and our global community of players,” said Glu Mobile CEO Nick Earl. “Joining forces with EA will take growth games like Covet Fashion, Design Home, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood, and the MLB Tap Sports Baseball franchise to the next level, expanding their reach to even more global audiences. Together, we will accelerate a strategic mobile-first approach and drive innovation through creative leadership while delivering world-class interactive experiences to our players.”
The acquisition will bring more than 500 developers into EA’s mobile push, as well as another 300 employees outside of development roles. In recent years, EA has been bringing some of its franchises to mobile devices, from The Sims Mobile to some of its sports franchises like Madden and FIFA. Last week, it was confirmed a Battlefield game for phones and tablets is in the works, but the announcement was short on specifics.