In a new trailer for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie that debuted over in Japan there’s brief footage of the titular blue blur as an adorable baby that I will defend with my life.
But as every previous trailer for this movie has done, it has sparked a number of questions about the nature of the character as he’s shown in the film, so with the movie just under two months away I’m going to recount them here for you all today:
- Will we see Sonic’s parents in this film? Yes, he has a mom and dad in the comics, but unless I’m mistaken we’ve never seen the people who brought Sonic into this world in any of the video game canon.
- Is he as happy and healthy as he appears in the trailer? I want to be sure he’s getting all the exercise (he clearly likes to run, so not much to worry about there) and food he needs. Establishing these things early on in a child’s lifetime is key to ensuring they grow up big and strong.
- Does Mobius, the planet Sonic is from, have a good pre-school program for Baby Sonic? He needs to get a good head start before he begins public school and I just want to be sure his parents who we have not seen yet have exhausted all possible options for him.
- Baby Sonic implies the existence of Child Sonic. Will we get to see an abridged version of the hedgehog’s life leading up to him being the snarky, speedy teenager (he is canonically 15-years-old) he is in the movie?
- Who will be voicing Baby Sonic? Because unless they go the Alvin and the Chipmunks route of pitching his voice up, I would be surprised if Adolescent Sonic actor Ben Schwartz can believably pull off the voice of a child.
- Will there be Baby Sonic specific merchandise when the movie comes out, such as a plush I could sit on my shelf or desk to raise my spirits when everything else in my life seems to be going wrong?
- Will Miles “Tails” Prower or any other of Sonic’s friends or frienemies show up to fill out this apparent origin story? Because the thought of Baby Sonic growing up without any friends makes me incredibly sad.
- Is Baby Sonic similar to past baby hedgehogs depicted in the Sonic franchise, like this reveal in the animated show Sonic Underground that this other baby is actually a robot? If so, what implications does that have about the Sonic the Hedgehog movie’s universe and its pitting of robots against robots as seen in the trailers for the film? Does this mean that Sonic the Hedgehog is coming to eat Nier: Automata’s lunch?
- Are there classified internal documents over at Sega, Paramount, or any of the other companies involved in the film’s development that show what Baby Sonic would have looked like had it not been for the character’s redesign that the masses demanded earlier this year?
- If there are, how closely do they resemble this mock up by Twitter user albertaydin?
— Albert Aydin (@albertaydin) December 27, 2019
- You might also like:
- Reviewing All 9 Entries for Chili Dogs on the Sonic the Hedgehog Wiki
- Is The Sonic the Hedgehog Film Just Sonic X: The Movie?
- Every Time I Almost Closed the New Sonic the Hedgehog Trailer
All these questions will hopefully be answered when the movie comes out on February 14 of next year. Until then we can be thankful that Baby Sonic is cute thanks to the efforts of MPC Vancouver, the studio that fixed the character’s design before being promptly shut down after doing so.