Hey folks! The Steam Summer Sale is well underway. We’ve already addressed a lot of the biggest, bestest Steam Summer Sale deals. But we want to give some love to the smaller games as well. !ere are some of our top picks for what Indie Games you should grab while the getting is good!
These are either fantastic deals on great games or great deals on fantastic games. Some, like Hollow Knight, speak for themselves, while others we’ve taken some time to really pitch because they’re hidden gems (or just really important to us). With introductions out of the way, here’s the big list.
Steam Summer Sale Best Indies Under $10
- Devil Daggers – $1.99 (-66%)
- Eldritch – $1.49 (-90%)
- Neon Struct – $1.79 (-90%)
- Heat Signature – $4.94 (-67%)
- Into the Breach – $7.49 (-50%)
- Darkest Dungeon – $6.24 (-75%)
- Hollow Knight – $7.49 (-50%)
- Firewatch – $4.99 (-75%)
- Rivals of Aether – $7.50 (-50%)
- Moonlighter – $6.79 (-66%)
Darkest Dungeon has a deserved reputation for being difficulty, but it’s so much game for such a low price right now. Make sure to grab its excellent DLC while you’re at it! Though there have also been plenty of free updates, like The Butcher’s Circus multiplayer mode, to chew through as well. Heat Signature is a bit more of a cult classic, but was secretly one of the best games of 2017. It’s basically a Coen Bros. movie simulator… in space. If this fantastic trailer doesn’t sell you on it, nothing will.
Steam Summer Sale Best Indies Over $10
- Outer Wilds – $16.65 (-33%)
- Black Ice – $11.24 (-25%)
- Dead Cells – $14.99 (-40%)
- Slay the Spire – $12.49 (-50%)
- Lost Ember – $17.99 (-40%)
- Noita – $12.490 (-25%)
- Wargroove – $11.99 (-40%)
- Katana Zero – $10.04 (-33%)
- Crying Suns – $17.49 (-30%)
- Tonight We Riot – $11.69 (-22%)
- Enter the Gungeon and Exit the Gungeon – $13.48 (-46%)
Outer Wilds is one of the most expensive games on this list, but it’s worth more than full price, much less a measly $16. The space-based puzzle game with a bittersweet backstory was the critical darling of 2019. Now you can get it on the cheap. Slay the Spire and Dead Cells, meanwhile, will scratch your various roguelike itches for months to come.
Our Very Special Children
- Risk of Rain – $2.49 (-75%)
- This sidescrolling roguelike from 2013 makes me feel as if I’m going to be crushed underfoot by a sleepwalking god-child in bloom. That is a good thing.
- Invisible Inc – $4.99 (-75%)
- This stealth tactics roguelike is, IMO, Klei’s best video game and that is saying something. Breaking into half a dozen well secured facilities in a 48 hour period in a desperate attempt to keep your spy network alive is really fucking fun. Also this game’s aesthetic is *mwah* chef’s kiss.
- E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy – $2.99 (-70%)
- Fuck Cyberpunk 2077. Do you want some real eurojank cyberpunk? Then play E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy, one of the weirdest and most interesting video games I have ever touched. If you’re looking for some truly wild shit then I cannot recommend it enough. If this isn’t enough to get you to buy it just… just say the name out loud. Say it with me. “E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy.” Its in your cart now isn’t it? Just like I thought.
- The Yawhg – $4.99 (-50%)
- The Yawhg!!! This game will make you, and three of your friends, feel Things. It is about a community under threat and how they rebuild when things break bad. It is a story of trauma and hope and I return to it whenever I need to feel warm.
- Transistor – $3.99 (-80%)
- Fuck it, actually, just buy all of Supergiant’s stuff if we’re being honest. If you haven’t played Bastion, Pyre, Transistor, and Hades (okay I’ll admit I’m a bit behind I haven’t touched Hades yet) then you’re doing something wrong. Transistor is the video game that started the “Best Game Of All Time” category in my Steam Library. It bleeds style and substance and I would die for Red, actually. So please buy it.
- Brigador: Up-Armored Edition – $8.99 (-55%)
- Mechs! Shooting! Mechs! Mechs! Stomping! Buildings! All of this and more at your fingertips!!!
- Blasphemous – $13.74 (-45%)
- Blasphemous is an incredibly difficult and incredibly goth video game. One of my favorite pieces here on Fanbyte is about how the game’s difficulty interplays with its portrayal of faith and I cannot recommend that enough.
- Pathologic 2 – $14.69 (-58%)
- Do you want to feel just fuckin terrible? Do you want to feel like complete dogshit for like 20 hours but the kind of dogshit that makes you a better person. Play Pathologic 2, a video game about a deadly disease ravaging an unprepared community. Feel bad, feel it for a long time, and then learn to grow from that feeling.