The latest No Man’s Sky expedition is here about two weeks earlier than we thought possible! That’s great news if you already completed the previous Cartographer’s Expedition. This time around, Hello Games is back with a mini-update to sandworms and they’ve decided to launch Expedition 4: Emergence at the same time. That means diving back in to complete a bunch of milestones so you can unlock the time-limited, event exclusive cosmetics!
The Emergence Expedition is available for five weeks and should expire around November 24. Remember to go claim your previous rewards from the Anomaly if you completed them!
Emergence Expedition Phases and Steps
There are five main phases in the Emergence Expedition, each with five to seven different milestones inside of them. Keep in mind that each milestone comes with significant rewards which will help speed up your progress. This includes resources, warp drives, and supreme mods! Make sure to claim them before proceeding!
One thing we recommend with this expedition is looking over all five phases before leaving the solar system you’re in. Phase Two has milestones which require extreme heat storms, something the starting planet has. You might as well get these done before you leave. Meanwhile, one of the milestones in Phase Three asks you to collect Whispering Eggs from a desolate planet, something you’ll find in the system of the first rendezvous point.
This expedition starts off like most of the other ones. Get your ship repaired! There’s good news and bad news, however. The bad news? This planet is particularly inhospitable with both freezing temperatures at night and extreme heat storms. The good news? There are storm crystals! On the short trip to my starship I managed to gather 500,000 units worth of materials.
To find a worm burrow, simply take out your scanner and look for a red diamond. Be prepared for a fight when you get there. You’ll need to kill the Hungering Tentacles defending it to progress. These are the same enemies you need to kill for Phase Four. The Fleshy Ropes they drop are even more valuable than Storm Crystals so by now you should already have a million credits or so in goods to sell.
Remember that you already have the Hyperdrive technology to leave the system, but you first need to install it by pressing “E” on an empty slot. Then gather the Chromatic Metal and Microprocessors so you can get on your way.
- The Beast Awakens – Reach a worm burrow on the first cursed world.
- Your Only Sanctuary – Reached your starship.
- From Barren Shores – Launch into space for the first time.
- Into the Black – Leave the initial system for the first time.
- Rendezvous 1 – Reach the first rendezvous point.
Complete phase one and you’ll get the Flesh Launcher Pack (Fireworks) customization.
Our recommendation for Resist the Flames and Embrace the Flames are to get this done before leaving the starting solar system. Go back to Wasan and walk around in the storms until they’re complete. While you’re at it, get your Terrain Manipulator installed if you didn’t start with one and dig away at those Cursed Dust deposits. Our starting planet has them, so why not get it taken care of now? Remember to make your mining laser as small as possible. It may be quicker to use that giant orb which carves through the ground in seconds, but you get just a small fraction of the material you would otherwise.
If you want to avoid wasting time, Embrace the Flames requires you to take real damage. Don’t panic and accidentally restore hazard protection before you’ve actually lost one of those squares of health.
- Rendezvous 2 – Reach the second rendezvous point.
- The Fleshy Core – Reach a worm burrow on the second cursed world.
- Resist the Flames – Survive while walking through 3,000 units of extreme heat.
- Embrace the Flames – Take damage from extreme heat.
- In Indelible Strain – Excavate 512 Cursed Dust.
Complete phase two and you’ll get the Ghastly Trail customization.
Like we mentioned, there are Whispering Eggs around the first rendezvous point. At that location alone we were able to gather most of what we needed. Be prepared to die as the horrors are great at running into you even if you’re flying across a giant gap. Our recommendation is to grab the eggs, hop onto the nearby building, kill a few horrors, and then hop into your starship to wait out the rest of the swarm. Keep in mind you need to actually pick up the Larval Core for it to count towards the milestone.
Derelict Freighters aren’t super easy to find, but you can purchase a chart to one from any space station for around 5,000,000 credits. Normally that’s no small sum, but you can farm cash pretty quickly on the starting planet.
- Rendezvous 3 – Reach the third rendezvous point.
- It Towers Above Us – Reach a worm burrow on the third cursed world.
- The Scent Remains – Steal 16 Whispering Eggs.
- They Pushed Too Far – Retrieve an Archive Override Implant from the wreck of a derelict freighter.
- That Creeping Foam – Earn 4,000 Nanites.
Complete phase three and you’ll get the Titanic Trophy plans. It’s a base decoration.
By this point you may have already completed Bad Vibrations. That leaves Their Lost Children as the hardest task here. If you encounter a world with fossils, take your time to excavate them.
- Rendezvous 4 – Reach the fourth rendezvous point.
- Lungs of Sand – Reach a worm burrow on the fourth cursed world.
- Forbidden Worlds – Read the Writing Manuscript at a planetary archive.
- Their Lost Children – Excavate 16 fossils.
- Bad Vibrations – Eliminate 36 Hungering Tentacles.
Finish all of this and earn Feasting Casque head customization.
We’ll provide you with more context once we get to this quest step. Everything here is pretty unique to this expedition and until we experience it for ourselves we aren’t sure how complicated these milestones are.
- Rendezvous 5 – Reach the final rendezvous point.
- The Vermiarch – Reach a worm burrow on the fifth cursed world.
- Into the Red – Commune with the Atlas.
- The Titan Will Submit – Install a Visceral Synthesiser.
- Spawn Beneath Your Skin – Gather three Vile Spawn.
Finish all of this and earn the Worm Lord title, Emergence Expedition Decal plans, and the Emergence Expedition banner customization.
Completing the entire expedition rewards you with a Hungering Worm Companion Egg which can only be earned through this Expedition.