Magic: The Gathering can be an intimidating game, especially when it comes to the Limited format. Today we take a look at the MTG: Arena Sealed events. We’ll go over the entry fees, match structure, and rewards before offering some tips for each of them.
What is MTG: Arena Sealed?
Unlike in Draft, in Sealed you don’t have to choose cards one at a time. Instead, you get six packs with 15 cards each. You then take all 90 of those cards and make a 40-card deck with them.
All of the cards opened are added to your collection. It’s worth noting that standard MTG: Arena packs only have eight cards each, so you’re getting more cards in return for the gem price! Plus you can earn more through your results.
Wizards of the Coast rotates which set is available with Sealed about once every two weeks. There is usually some downtime between events where Sealed is not available, however.
- MTG: Arena Constructed Events Guide – Rewards, Entry Fee, Tips
- MTG: Arena Draft Events Guide – Rewards, Entry Fee, Tips
Sealed Format – Magic: The Gathering Arena
You can only pay Gems to start a Sealed run. Overall it’s not as stressful as a Draft for most players, since you don’t need to make 60 different comparisons as to what cards you want to pick. Instead, you’re essentially handed 90 cards and told to create the best deck possible from that selection. You aren’t stuck with one color over another just because you had already begun drafting cards of that combination.
Just build the deck to your liking and get playing! The rewards are pretty darn great, even if you can’t earn back the entrance fee. You’ll get 114 cards in total, which is way more than the approximately 80 you get from opening regular packs with those Gems.
Entry Fee: 2000 Gems
Match Structure: Best-of-one
Ends After: 7 Wins or 3 Losses
Sealed Event Rewards: In addition to any cards you open during the match, you’ll earn the following based on how many wins you get.
- 0 Wins – 200 Gems, 3 Packs
- 1 Win – 400 Gems, 3 Packs
- 2 Wins – 600 Gems, 3 Packs
- 3 Wins – 1200 Gems, 3 Packs
- 4 Wins – 1400 Gems, 3 Packs
- 5 Wins – 1600 Gems, 3 Packs
- 6 Wins – 2000 Gems, 3 Packs
- 7 Wins – 2200 Gems, 3 Packs
Tips for Sealed Format in Magic: The Gathering Arena
- Sealed is one of the best ways to grow your collection. The draft packs are larger than normal and you’re guaranteed three packs back. Plus you can earn some Gems back!
- For an average player, Sealed is the best return on investment.
- You almost certainly won’t be able to play Sealed infinitely on a single entry fee. Sorry… You’d need to win over 80 percent of your games and 90 percent of your matches!
- Stick to two main colors — unless you really know what you’re doing.
- As per usual, in most limited formats, board presence and removal are at a premium. That is to say: prioritize keeping more monsters on the board than your opponent.
- Sealed games generally take pretty long, since you can’t control what cards are at your disposal. Settle in for the long haul.
- Make sure you have enough mana in your deck! That’s a universal truth that doesn’t change just because you’re playing with a Sealed deck.
- Keep in mind that this is a best-of-one format. No need to worry about a sideboard! You can just swap out cards between games.