There’s no way Mortal Kombat 11 would leave us hanging without Liu Kang. The series’ mascot character is back for this celebration of the entire Mortal Kombat timeline. And he’s brought his bicycle kicks, fireballs, and kung fu yells with him. That’s good news for straightforward players; Liu Kang still seems like one of the easiest fighters to wrap one’s head around — as has long been the case. Not that playing him to the fullest is going to be easy. Mortal Kombat 11 introduces a whole host of changes that even veterans will have to grow accustomed to. And that’s exactly why we’ve put together this guide to Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat 11.
- The Evo 2019 Line-Up: Every Game and What to Expect
- Equipped: Scorpion’s Big Valentine’s Day
Liu Kang Strengths & Weaknesses – Mortal Kombat 11
Every character in Mortal Kombat 11 sports multiple loadouts. With a mixture of loot, augments, skins, and more, you can tailor the look and feel of your fighter however you like. And there are some truly nasty combinations — though the game limits how many abilities you can bring into battle. Some characters are more flexible than others, too, but every fighter generally has a basic set of strengths and weaknesses. So let’s take a look at basic pros and cons of playing Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat 11.
Netherrealm Studios itself describes Liu Kang as “simple to play with a lot of payoff.” That’s been pretty much true since the beginning of the Mortal Kombat series, and it doesn’t show any signs of stopping in Mortal Kombat 11. He has a strong, quick projectile in the form of a fireball. Meanwhile, his iconic flying kick lets him close the distance in an instant.
Once Liu Kang does get in close (particularly after he pushes an opponent into the corner) the fun begins. His fast, furious strikes let him punish players that allow themselves to be pushed back. That means Liu Kang is a character that seriously benefits from gaining the upper hand early — only to become more powerful the longer he goes. Mortal Kombat 11 even rewards this momentum further by automatically enhancing his infamous bicycle kick after you perform it with a meter burn three times in a match.
The downside to playing the most recognizable character in Mortal Kombat history is that… everyone knows your moves. Mortal Kombat 11 mitigates that somewhat with its heavy customization options. Liu Kang can even teleport now, if you want! But he’s still much more predictable overall compared to other fighters.
Liu Kang Tips – Mortal Kombat 11
- Liu Kang is pretty simple to learn, which makes him a good starter character for anyone new to the series.
- Liu Kang is fast, fast, fast! Even his combos are so fast that you may not notice the damage difference between him and slower, more powerful characters.
- While Liu Kang has a number of customization options, he’s mainly a close-range character, and opponents will know that. As a result, you need to know how to close the distance and get some hits in.
- Remember that most stages offer players with their backs against their wall to get an easy out. If they use it, be prepared to close the distance immediately and keep combo-ing before they recover!
- Liu Kang’s Bicycle Kick may be iconic, but it’s still very effective in getting hits in during combos. It’s easy to block at the start of a combo, but if your opponent is already reeling it’s time to bust out the kicks!
Liu Kang Fatalities – Mortal Kombat 11
Fatalities are a big part of Mortal Kombat 11! That’s why we decided to give every character on the roster their own, separate list. Check out our list and guide to all the Liu Kang Fatalities in Mortal Kombat 11 here!
That’s all for now! Thanks for taking the time to read our latest Mortal Kombat 11 guide, folks. We’ll be sure to come back with even more Liu Kang tips and tricks after we’ve had the game in our hands for a while. Until then, though, please enjoy the rest of our fantastic guides and features all across the site. And take care!