Kotal Kahn is a fairly new addition to the Mortal Kombat universe. He tips the balance of power in Outworld as yet another contender to the empty throne of Shao Kahn. And as far as tyrants go, he’s not the worst one that dimension has ever seen! That doesn’t mean he can’t be a brutal, effective fighter, though. Let’s take a look at why in our Kotal Kahn guide for Mortal Kombat 11.
- Jade Guide: Mortal Kombat 11 Character Strengths, Weaknesses, Tips
- Jax Guide: Mortal Kombat 11 Character Strengths, Weaknesses, Tips
- Kollector Guide: Mortal Kombat 11 Character Strengths, Weaknesses, Tips
Kotal Kahn Strengths & Weaknesses – Mortal Kombat 11
It’s tough to say exactly what makes Kotal Kahn tick in the newest Mortal Kombat. The game isn’t out, after all! But developer Netherrealm Studios did us all a favor by showcasing this character (and many more) in video demos. So we’ve got a basic idea of what to expect. Don’t think we’re resting on our laurels, though! We’ll be sure to update this guide with better strengths, weaknesses, and tips once the game is out. For now, though, let’s take a look at what we know about Kotal Kahn in Mortal Kombat 11.
Kotal Kahn is a fairly straightforward character in the moment-to-moment battle. He’s a slight jack-of-all-trades: with solid projectiles, good range, and a useful parry. He plays similar to Jade in that these make him great at winning battles of attrition. But where Kotal Kahn really shines is when you break out his buffs and healing. These allow him to outlast and out-damage opponents — even if he doesn’t have the most powerful sustained pressure. You don’t 80-hit combos when you do so much damage with a normal attack, after all.
Kotal Kahn is slow. Not necessarily when it comes to his individual moves, but his buffs — a key part of playing Kotal Kahn — take time to ramp up. Summoning totems and drinking blow both take time. Not to mention you also have to reset them if you don’t close out the match quickly. This can waste time better spent on just going for the throat, or leave you vulnerable to counterattacks.
Kotal Kahn Tips – Mortal Kombat 11
- This disc throw is a tremendously spammable projectile. It’s fast and does significant damage on its own.
- Kotal Kahn regains life while standing in his sun beams. It’s not a lot, but makes a nice bonus if you’re zoning your opponent anyway.
- Despite leaving Kotal open, summoning totems can make great bait. Kotal Kahn has a quick parry that lets him open up overeager attackers. Combined with the right totems, this is a great way to eke out extra damage or heal yourself back up.
- Kotal Kahn’s cat form is great for closing the distance. It’s fast, harder to hit, and can be used from the air. That makes it easier to get in close and take full advantage of your buffs before they wear off.
- In addition to healing, the sun beam will hurt any foe that comes into contact with it, leaving a dilemma for the fighter. Should they come into range to try and knock you out of the beam, damaging themselves, or let you heal a bit? You can also hold them in place by using a throw under the sun beam for bonus damage.
- Kotal can be slow, but sometimes a good way to trip up an opponent is going for a quick grab. It’s not always expected from slower, more powerful characters, making the opponent less likely to break out.
Kotal Kahn Fatalities – Mortal Kombat 11
Fatalities are a big part of Mortal Kombat 11! That’s why we decided to give every character on the roster their own, separate list. Check out our list and guide to all the Kotal Kahn Fatalities in Mortal Kombat 11 here!
That’s all for now! Thanks for taking the time to read our latest Mortal Kombat 11 guide, folks. We’ll be sure to come back with even more Kotal Kahn tips and tricks after we’ve had the game in our hands for a while. Until then, though, please enjoy the rest of our fantastic guides and features all across the site. And take care!