Shenhe, an icy Polearm wielder and fierce Adeptus disciple, has recently been announced as a playable Genshin Impact character on the official Genshin Impact Twitter account. Let’s take a look at this 5-Star Cryo character’s release date, combat role, Wish Banner, and Ascension Materials. Can’t hurt to be prepared, right?
As the official information on Shenhe is quite limited, we’ve relied on Honey Hunter to fill us in on the details. Thanks for that!
Shenhe Release Date
As is often the case with new character announcements, miHoYo is being a bit mysterious. They announced their next 5-Star on November 22 by simply posting her picture and some basic info, but without mentioning her release date. We can be pretty sure that she’ll arrive in Genshin Impact Version 2.4 though.
Following the usual six-week pattern, Genshin Impact Version 2.3 will end around January 4. If she’s featured on the first 2.4 Wish Banner, Shenhe will be released on January 4 or 5 (depending on your time zone).
However, the new 5-Star Geo character Itto gets featured on the second Wish Banner in Version 2.3, which makes it more likely that Version 2.4 starts with a rerun. If that’s true, Shenhe will be the second Wish Banner in Version 2.4, and she’ll arrive on January 25/26.
You May Also Like:
- Genshin Impact Banners & Wish Guide – December 2021 for Patch 2.3
- Genshin Impact Beidou Hangout Guide – Quiz Answers, Unlock All Endings
- Genshin Impact Husk of Opulent Dreams Artifact Guide – Best Stats, Characters
Shenhe Stars and Wish Banner
Although it hasn’t been officially confirmed by miHoYo, Shenhe will be a 5-Star character. That means she’ll get her own Wish Banner, and you’re going to need quite a lot of Primogems to get her.
We don’t know the 4-Stars on the banner yet, but it’s very likely that the new 5-Star is joined by the new 4-Star. In this case, Geo character Yun Jin. Besides that, all the recent Banners (except Tartaglia’s) featured a 4-Star of the same Elemental type as the 5-Star, meaning that we can expect to see another Cryo.
Keep in mind that all of this is based on speculation, but the Wish Banner might look something like this: Shenhe, Yun Jin, 4-Star Cryo such as Chongyun, and a 4-Star of another Element who hasn’t been featured recently, such as Sucrose.
Shenhe’s Weapon, Elements, and Combat Role
Shenhe uses a Polearm as her weapon of choice and is blessed with Cryo Vision. Based on the Genshin Impact characters present in Version 2.3, this makes her the eighth Polearm user and 11th Cryo character in the game.
It looks like Shenhe is going to be a Cryo DPS and Cryo Support. Leaks tell us that her Elemental Skill and Burst will boost Cryo damage even after she leaves the field, meaning that she’s a potential buff provider for characters like Ayaka and Ganyu.
The Cryo bonus granted by Shenhe’s Elemental Skill scales with her Attack Power. In other words, this will be her most important stat. She also gains an Attack stat boost by Ascending, which compensates her somewhat modest Base Attack.
If this combat role sounds awfully specific to you, you’re probably right. Perhaps miHoYo is trying to introduce more specialized characters (think of upcoming Geo Support Gorou). However, it does have the fandom wondering whether this upcoming 5-Star will receive any major changes to her kit. If she’s indeed a Support for other Cryo’s, she’ll only fit in certain teams.
Shenhe’s Character Ascension Materials
Great news for Genshin Impact players who haven’t been to Inazuma yet: unlike the recent character additions, Shenhe is from Liyue. That means most of her Ascension and Talent Materials are from this region as well, so you don’t need to have a high Adventure Rank to get her upgrades.
Here’s an overview of the Ascension Materials needed to upgrade Shenhe, plus some info on how to farm them ahead of the release:
- Cryo Ascension Materials: Dropped from Cryo Bosses. The current options are the Cryo Regisvine in the eastern part of Mondstadt, and the Cryo Hypostasis in Dragonspine.
- Qingxin: A mountain flower found in the Liyue region. It’s pretty common but keep in mind that it only grows on peaks. A good way to gather it is by fast-travelling to Qingyun Peak (west part of the map) and gliding down to the lower mountains.
- Whopperflower/Shimmering/Energy Nectar: Dropped by the Whopperflower elite enemies.
- Electro Whopperflowers are only found in Inazuma, but Pyro and Cryo Whopperflowers can be found in every region.
- Some of the best places to farm Whopperflower materials are the southeastern part of Mondstadt and the middle part of Liyue (surrounding the Pyro Regisvine Boss).
- Dragonheir’s False Fin: This material is not yet found in the game. Keep an eye out for a new dragon-like (perhaps a Vishap) Genshin Impact Boss in Version 2.4.
Shenhe’s Talent Ascension Materials
Besides the Ascension Materials, you might want to start gathering Shenhe’s Talent Level-Up Materials. Besides the Hellfire Butterfly, you don’t need access to Inazuma to get them. Here’s what you need:
- Teachings/Guide/Philosophies of Prosperity: Found in the Taishan Mansion Domain, in the western part of Liyue. Prosperity materials can be farmed by completing this Domain on Monday, Thursday, and Sunday.
- Whopperflower Drops: Same as described above; defeat the Whopperflower elite enemies.
- Hellfire Butterfly: A weekly boss reward. There’s a chance to get this after defeating Signora, who can be found in the Raiden Shogun palace in Inazuma City (Tenshukaku Domain).
Who is Shenhe? Lore and Story
Shenhe’s announcement came as a surprise, so chances are you’ve absolutely no idea who this character is. After some online digging though, it appears that she’s from Liyue, and comes from a family of exorcists (a distant relation to Chongyun, perhaps?). She carries the important-sounding title of ‘Ethereal Soul Amidst the Mortal Realm.’
Due to unknown circumstances, Shenhe became a disciple of Cloud Retainer, the bird-form Adeptus living on Mt. Aocang. As miHoYo mentioned on Twitter, the Cryo maiden is a particular favorite amongst Cloud Retainer’s disciples: “One has traversed many realms and taken a great many pupils. Among them, Shenhe bears the closest resemblance to oneself.”
We also know that our upcoming 5-Star is known for her fierceness and temper. According to the announcement tweets, she looks up to Cloud Retainer and considers her a knowledgeable and chatty master.
How do you feel about Shenhe? Are you excited to meet her in the game? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments!