Another 4-Star Anemo is finally joining Genshin Impact! Sayu will be released on August 10, when the next Wish Banner (featuring Yoimiya as its 5-Star) goes live. Unlike 4-Star Anemo colleague Sucrose, Sayu uses a Claymore. This, together with her attack buff and healing abilities, makes her a rather unique addition to the game.
There’s already a bit of official info on Sayu’s abilities out there, but we have to thank Honey Hunter World for filling in the gaps. Here’s our Sayu build guide, along with all the necessary info on her stats, Elemental Attacks, and level-up materials.
More Genshin Impact:
- Genshin Impact Dendrobium Guide – Dendrobium Locations & Uses
- Genshin Impact Ayaka Guide: Best Build & Team for Patch 2.0 (July 2021)
- Genshin Impact Sakura Bloom Guide – Sakura Locations & Uses
Sayu has a great mix of Anemo damage abilities and Support abilities. She’s also pretty quick for a Claymore user and she has a high base Attack Power compared to other 4-Stars. Early-game Genshin Impact players may therefore give her the role of main DPS. Mid- to late-game players can make her a true Elemental Reaction and Support hybrid, or focus on one of those two roles.
Sayu’s greatest damage potential stems from her Swirl reaction, powered by a high Elemental Mastery (which is also her Ascension stat). As this can trigger a very powerful Swirl attack, it’s strongly recommended that you always hold Sayu’s Elemental Skill button (as opposed to pressing). Try triggering her Elemental Skill as often as you can to continually heal your allies.
Remember that Sayu’s Burst healing scales with her Attack Power instead of Elemental Mastery. If you want your Sayu build to focus more on Support than Anemo/Swirl damage, you might want to increase her Attack instead. Finally, if you’re annoyed by the Elemental Burst’s HP restrictions, do not forget that they will disappear when Sayu reaches Ascension phase four.
Shuumatsuban Ninja Blade (Normal Attack)
- Normal Attack: Performs four strikes with the Claymore.
- Charged Attack: Drains stamina while performing a spinning attack, ending in a powerful slash.
- Plunging Attack: After initiating while Sayu is in mid-air, she will drop to the ground and deal AOE damage.
Yoohoo Art: Fuuin Dash (Elemental Skill)
- Sayu curls up into a ball (Fuufuu Windwheel) and rolls full speed into her enemies, dealing Anemo damage. She performs a AOE Anemo kick when the duration ends.
- When pressing the Elemental Skill button, Sayu only rolls a short distance before doing the kick.
- When holding the Elemental Skill button, Fuufuu Windwheel may last up to ten seconds. You can stop the attack sooner by pressing the Skill button again (this will also decrease the cooldown).
- After holding the Elemental Skill button, Sayu will also gain increased resistance to interruption and perform a stronger kick. Furthermore, she can use Elemental Absorption (together with the Hydro/Pyro/Cryo/Electro Elements) to deal extra Elemental damage of that type. Can only occur once per Elemental Skill use.
Yoohoo Art: Mujina Flurry (Elemental Burst)
- Sayu deals Anemo damage to nearby opponents while healing nearby allies. She also drops a Muji-Muji Daruma Doll on the battlefield.
- The amount of HP restoration is based on Sayu’s Attack Power.
- The Daruma Doll can either attack or heal:
- If nearby allies’ HP is above 70%, Daruma Doll deals Anemo damage to nearby opponents.
- If at least one nearby ally’s HP is less than 70%, Daruma Doll starts healing the active character with the lowest HP percentage.
- If there aren’t any opponents within Daruma Doll’s range, it will always heal characters (even if HP is above 70%).
Someone More Capable (Passive 1) – Ascension 1
- Sayu heals all characters for 300 HP whenever she triggers a Swirl reaction. This is increased by 1.2 HP for every Elemental Mastery point she has.
- This effect can be triggered once every two seconds.
No Work Today! (Passive 2) – Ascension 4
- The Daruma Doll (Sayu’s Elemental Burst) gains the following upgrades:
- While healing the lowest HP character, nearby allies are also healed for 20% the amount of HP.
- The AOE increases in size.
Yoohoo Art: Silencer’s Secret (Passive 3) – Unlocked
- If Sayu is in the party (she doesn’t have to be the active character though), Crystalflies don’t fly away when you approach them.
Sayu has a really strange Weapon type for an Anemo/Support character. That may be the reason why it’s so hard to find a fitting Claymore for her. Both the Katsuragikiri Nagamasa and the Rainslasher stand out, but keep in mind that these are 4-Star weapons. We’d recommend going for either of these, but if you’re set on a 5-Star Claymore instead, Wolf’s Gravestone is probably the best option.
Katsuragikiri Nagamasa (4-Star) – This Claymore’s secondary stat grants Sayu increased Energy Recharge (great for Support Sayu), and it’s passive increases her Elemental Skill Damage by 6 to 12% (boosting Swirl Sayu). Furthermore, hitting an opponent with an Elemental Skill results in an Energy loss of three points, but this will be regenerated by 3-5 points per two seconds for the next six seconds. The effect can occur once every ten seconds, even if the character has left the field.
Rainslasher (4-Star) – If you want to go full Elemental Mastery, making the most of Sayu’s Swirl, then this weapon is awesome. Besides increasing Elemental Mastery as a secondary stat, the Rainslasher’s passive increases damage against enemies affected by Hydro or Electro by 20-36%. As your Sayu will likely use such Elements as her set-up for Swirl anyway, this passive is very useful.
Wolf’s Gravestone (5-Star) – Admittedly, it’s not a perfect weapon for Sayu. But of all 5-Star Claymores currently in the game, this one is the best. It will increase Sayu’s Attack Power through its secondary Attack Damage stat, and add an extra 20-40% attack increase thanks to its passive ability. It has a nice extra Support ability too: after a hit, attacks against enemies with less than 30% HP left increases all allies’ Attack power by 40-80% for twelve seconds (effect can occur once per thirty seconds).
This is a bit of a no-brainer, but Sayu is going to be great combined with the Viridescent Venerer Artifact set. Alternatively, a more common Artifact set like Wanderer’s Troupe (or even Gladiator’s Finale) is good as well. Besides Attack Power, try to get increased Elemental Mastery and Anemo Damage as sub stats.
Note that Critical Rate doesn’t work for Swirl Reactions, so avoid it unless you want a physical DPS Sayu. Those who don’t have 4 and 5-Star Artifact sets can use the Instructor set for the time being.
Viridescent Venerer – (2) Grants 15% increased Anemo damage. (4) Grants 60% extra spread damage, and reduces the Elemental resistance of enemies hit by a Swirl attack by 40% (lasts for ten seconds).
Wanderer’s Troupe – (2) Sayu gains 15% increased Anemo damage. (4) Grants 60% extra spread damage, and reduces the Elemental resistance of enemies hit by a Swirl attack by 40% (lasting ten seconds).
Gladiator’s Finale – (2) Increases Attack Power by 18%.
Instructor – (2) Increases Elemental Mastery by 80. (4) Triggering an Elemental Reaction increases every ally’s Elemental Mastery by 120% for eight seconds.
Sayu is an Anemo character who is very much focused on Swirl damage, so we definitely want to set her up with a Pyro, Electro, Hydro, or Cryo team. As Sayu should cast her attacks on enemies already affected by one of these Elements, try to find at least one passive Elemental damage dealer.
Consider using a second Anemo as well, since this will decrease Sayu’s Elemental Skill cooldown and make her even faster. Finally, as Sayu herself is not the best main DPS, you should find a better candidate to fulfill that role on her team. Although Sayu is easy to team up with most Genshin Impact characters, here are some suggestions:
Top Tier Team
- Main DPS: Ganyu, Ayaka, Xiao (Elemental Resonance)
- Sub DPS/Support: Sayu
- Sub DPS: Venti (Elemental Resonance), Klee (Pyro-infused Swirl)
- Support: Zhongli (only if shielding is needed)
- Main DPS: Kaeya, Razor
- Sub DPS/Support: Sayu
- Sub DPS: Fischl (Electro-infused Swirl), Xiangling (Pyro-infused Swirl)
- Support: Barbara (Extra Healing), Diona (Shielding)
- Talent Level-Up Material: Teachings/Guide/Philosophies of Light
- Common Ascension Material: Whopperflower/Shimmering/Energy Nectar
- Weekly Material: Gilded Scale
If you want a great Sayu but don’t have an endless supply of Primogems, consider pulling for a second Sayu only. The first Constellation upgrade is by far the best, as it makes her Element Burst support way stronger. Most of Sayu’s remaining Constellation upgrades are handy but not necessary. Constellation level six would make even better use of her Elemental Mastery, but you can do without it.
- Level 1 – Multi-Task no Jutsu: The Daruma Doll created by the Elemental Burst will ignore HP limits and heal and attack at the same time.
- Level 2 – Egress Prep: Sayu’s Elemental Skill gains the following effects: the kick damage when pressing (instead of holding) the button is increased by 3.3%, and every half second spent in FuuFuu Whindwheel mode increases the kick damage by 3.3% (max damage increase is 66%).
- Level 3 – Eh, the Bunshin Can Handle It: Sayu’s maximum Elemental Burst level is increased by three (maximum level is now 15).
- Level 4 – Skiving: New and Improved: Sayu gains 1.2 Energy when triggering a Swirl reaction (once every two seconds).
- Level 5 – Speed Comes First: The Elemental Skill maximum upgrade level is increased by three (max 15).
- Level 6 – Sleep O’Clock: For every Elemental Mastery point Sayu has, the Daruma Doll’s attack damage will increase by 0.2% (max increase of 400%), and its HP restoration by three (max healing of 6.000 additional HP).
Sayu Ascension Information
Here’s a complete list of Sayu Ascension materials:
- 1st Ascension (Max Level 20) – 1 Vayuda Turquoise Sliver, 3 Crystal Marrow, 3 Whopperflower Nectar
- 2nd Ascension (Max Level 40) – 3 Vayuda Turquoise Fragments, 2 Maguu Kishin, 10 Crystal Marrow, 15 Whopperflower Nectar
- 3rd Ascension (Max Level 50) – 6 Vayuda Turquoise Fragments, 4 Maguu Kishin, 20 Crystal Marrow, 12 Shimmering Nectar
- 4th Ascension (Max Level 60) – 3 Vayuda Turquoise Chunks, 8 Maguu Kishin, 30 Crystal Marrow, 18 Shimmering Nectar
- 5th Ascension (Max Level 70) – 6 Vayuda Turquoise Chunks, 12 Maguu Kishin, 45 Crystal Marrow, 12 Energy Nectar
- 6th Ascension (Max Level 80) – 6 Vayuda Turquoise Gemstones, 20 Maguu Kishin, 60 Crystal Marrow, 24 Energy Nectar
So, are you going for the Elemental Swirl Master Sayu? Or will she be your new passive Support? Let’s hear your ideas in the comments!