Noelle is the free character of Genshin Impact. You’re guaranteed to summon her in one of your first 20 pulls from the Beginner’s Banner. She’s also one of the few tanky heroes on the game which causes many players to overlook her. With the focus on DPS, sub-DPS, and healers, a lot of folks justify leaving her to rot in their character roster while putting their effort into more splashy characters. That doesn’t have to be the case, however. In this guide, we take a look at Noelle and how to truly make her shine with the best team comp, best weapons, and best artifacts.
More Genshin Impact:
- Genshin Impact Ganyu Guide: Best Build, Artifacts, Team, & More
- Genshin Impact Qingxin Guide – Qingxin Flower Location & Uses
- Genshin Impact Xingqiu Guide: Best Build, Artifacts, & Team (January 2021)
There’s a lot to understand about Noelle if you want to build her successfully. For one, she scales incredibly well off of defense. You’ll want that to be your main focus going forward. Whenever her shield is up, she can regenerate health for the entire party by dealing damage. Her ultimate makes those basic attack swings hit a larger area and deal 40 percent of her defense as damage!
Noelle’s usefulness doesn’t end there, however. Get a single ascension into her and she can give one of your other squad members a 400 percent shield that lasts 20 seconds. The kicker? She can do this every minute! Talk about the ultimate support.
- Favonius Bladework (Basic Attack)
- Normal Attack: Perform up to four consecutive strikes.
- Charged Attack: Drains stamina over time to perform continuous swirling attacks against all nearby enemies. At the end of the sequence, perform a more powerful slash.
- Plunging Attack: Plunges from mid-air to strike the ground below, damaging enemies along the path and dealing AOE DMG upon impact.
- Breastplate (Basic Ability)
- Summons a protective stone armor, dealing Geo damage to surrounding enemies and creating a shield. The shield’s strength is scaled based on Noelle’s defense.
- The shield has the following properties:
- When Noelle’s normal and charged attacks hit a target, they have a certain chance to regenerate HP for all characters, both on and off the field.
- Applies the Geo element to the character.
- Has 250 percent absorption efficiency against Geo damage.
- Sweeping Time (Ultimate)
- Gathering the strength of stone around her weapon, Noelle strikes the enemies surrounding her within a large AOE, dealing Geo damage.
- Afterwards, Noelle gains the following effects:
- Larger attack AOE.
- Converts attack damage to Geo damage.
- Increased attack that scaled based on her defense.
- Devotion (Passive 1) – Ascension 1
- When Noelle is in the party but not on the field, this ability automatically triggers when the active character’s HP falls below 30 percent: Creates a shield that lasts for 20 seconds and absorbs damage equal to 400 percent of Noelle’s defense. This effect can only occur once every minute.
- Nice and Clean (Passive 2) – Ascension 4
- Every four normal or charged attack hits will decrease the cooldown of Breastplate by one second. Hitting multiple enemies with a single attack is only counted as one hit.
- Maid’s Knighthood (Passive 3) – Unlocked
- When a Perfect Cooking is achieved on a defense boosting dish, Noelle has a 12 percent chance to obtain double the product.
Now you may be wondering what the best way to actually build Noelle is. The answer: focus on defense and critical rate. A high defense will not only strengthen her shield, but allow her to deal more damage while she’s on the field with her ultimate activated.
Whiteblind (4-Star) – On hit, normal or charged attacks increase attack and defense by 6/7.5/9/10.5/12% for six seconds. Maximum of four stacks. Can only occur once every 0.5 seconds.
The Unforged (5-Star) – Increases shield strength by 20/25/30/35/40%. Scoring hits on opponents increases attack by 4/5/6/7/8% for eight seconds. Maximum of five stacks. Can only occur once every 0.3 seconds. While protected by a shield, this attack increase effect is doubled.
When it comes to artifacts you’ll really need to focus on percent defense, critical rate, and critical damage. Elemental reactions aren’t your primary focus here. The best set for Noelle, by far, is Retracing Bolide which betters her shields and more importantly gives her a damage boost whenever shielded. The other two sets are fine, but Retracing Bolide is basically built for Noelle.
Retracing Bolide (4-Star) – (2) Increases shield strength by 35 percent. (4) While protected by a shield, gain an additional 40 percent normal and charged attack damage.
Gladiator’s Finale (4-Star) – (2) +18 percent attack. (4) If the wielder of this artifact set uses a sword, claymore, or polearm, increase their normal attack damage by 35 percent.
Resolution of Sojourner (4-star) – (2) +18 percent attack. (4) Increases charged attack critical rate by 30 percent.
Noelle works really well with characters who can set her up to deal lots of unchallenged damage, especially through freezing opponents. The best part? She’s technically the healer in these team compositions so there’s no need to sacrifice your two favorite DPS characters.
- Top Tier Team
- Main DPS: Diluc
- Secondary DPS: Mona
- Healer: Noelle
- Support: Venti
- Budget Team
- Main DPS: Razor
- Secondary DPS: Chongyun
- Healer: Noelle
- Support: Xingqiu
- Talent Level-Up Material: Teachings/Guide/Philosophies of Resistance
- Common Ascension Material: Damaged/Stained/Ominous Mask
- Weekly Material: Dvalin’s Claw
We’re putting the constellation information here at the bottom because it’s incredibly difficult to rank these up in any meaningful way outside of sheer luck. The first constellation upgrade helps make Noelle better in your team comp, but it’s the final one which really makes her shine as another DPS.
- Level 1 – I Got Your Back: While Sweeping Time and Breastplate are both in effect, the chance of Breastplate’s healing effects activating is increased to 100 percent.
- Level 2 – Combat Maid: Decreases the stamina consumption of Noelle’s charged attacks by 20 percent and increases her charged attack damage by 15 percent.
- Level 3 – Invulnerable Maid: Increases the level of Breastplate by three. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 4 – To Be Cleaned: When Breastplate’s duration expires or the shield is destroyed by damage, it will deal 400 percent of Noelle’s attack in Geo damage to surrounding enemies
- Level 5 – Favonius Sweeper Master: Increases the level of Sweeping Time by three. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 6 – Must Be Spotless: Sweeping Time increases Noelle’s attack by an additional 50 percent of her defense. Additionally, every enemy defeated during the skill’s duration adds one second to the duration, up to ten seconds.
Here’s what you’ll need to maximize Noelle’s level cap.
- 1st Ascension (Max Level 20) – 1 Prithiva Topaz Sliver, 3 Valberry, 3 Damaged Masks
- 2nd Ascension (Max Level 40) – 3 Prithiva Topaz Fragments, 2 Basalt Pillars, 10 Valberry, 15 Damaged Masks
- 3rd Ascension (Max Level 50) – 6 Prithiva Topaz Fragments, 4 Basalt Pillars, 20 Valberry, 12 Stained Masks
- 4th Ascension (Max Level 60) – 3 Prithiva Topaz Chunks, 8 Basalt Pillars, 30 Valberry, 18 Stained Masks
- 5th Ascension (Max Level 70) – 6 Prithiva Topaz Chunks, 12 Basalt Pillars, 45 Valberry, 12 Ominous Masks
- 6th Ascension (Max Level 80) – 6 Prithiva Topaz Gemstones, 20 Basalt Pillars, 60 Valberry, 24 Ominous Masks
And that’s it! Is there anything we missed? Let us know in the comments below!