She couldn’t land a Critical Hit if her life depended on it, but Sangonomiya Kokomi’s ability to shoot tiny Hydro fish whilst gracefully floating in the air totally makes up for it. She’s the leader of the Resistance Army against the Vision Hunt Decree (not exactly best friends with Raiden Shogun, in other words). She’s also one of the best healers in the game so far.
We found Kokomi’s skill descriptions and gameplay videos on the official Genshin Impact media, but we also relied on Honey Hunter World for some of the missing information. We’re grateful for the help! So, without further ado, let’s find a great build for our new queen of Hydro.
More Genshin Impact:
- Genshin Impact Sango Pearl Guide – Material Locations & Uses
- Genshin Impact Snowstrider Fishing Guide – Location, Time, Bait Type
- Genshin Impact Yoimiya Guide: Best Build & Team for Patch 2.0 (August 2021)
You can probably tell by one look at her skillset: Kokomi is not a specialized DPS. Although she gains a Hydro damage bonus thanks to her Ascension stat, her base attack is relatively low. However, with the right build and the correct use of her buffs, she can become a great healing Support with a pretty good Elemental damage output.
It’s best to use Kokomi’s Elemental Burst first to increase her Normal and Charged Attack damage and activate healing. Remember that she needs to land Normal and Charged attack hits (not Elemental Skill hits) to restore team HP. So, while her Skill damage is increased too, you don’t need to use it yet.
After the healing is done, you may cast her Elemental Skill. Try to time this so that you’ll be able to use Kokomi’s Burst again before the Skill ends. If you manage to cast another Burst while her Bake-Kurage is still active, the Bake-Kurage will remain on the battlefield much longer (thanks to the Tamanooya’s Casket). It’s worth noting that Kokomi’s Burst cooldown is only 18 seconds, but she needs 70 Energy. In other words, boosting her Energy Recharge won’t hurt your Kokomi build, either!
Beware that using Kokomi’s Elemental Skill will also cast the Wet condition on her (same as Barbara’s Elemental Skill), so it makes her more vulnerable to Elemental Reactions such as Frozen.
The Shape of Water (Normal Attack)
- Normal Attacks: Performs up to three Hydro attacks with her Catalyst.
- Charged Attack: Consumes Stamina to deal AOE Hydro damage.
- Plunging Attack: Deals AOE Hydro damage on impact.
Kurage’s Oath (Elemental Skill)
- Kokomi summons a ‘Bake-Kurage’ Hydro form (which is a jellyfish, apparently).
- The Bake-Kurage deals Hydro damage to surrounding enemies and heals nearby active characters at fixed intervals. The amount of healing scales with Kokomi’s maximum HP.
- Using this Elemental Skill will apply the Wet status to Kokomi.
Nereid’s Ascension (Elemental Burst)
- Kokomi deals Hydro damage to surrounding enemies, then activates the Ceremonial Garment state.
- Kokomi’s Normal Attack, Charged Attack, and Bake-Kurage damage are increased based on her max HP.
- Kokomi restores HP for all nearby allies whenever her Normal and Charged Attacks hit opponents. The amount restored is based on her max HP.
- Kokomi gains increased resistance to interruption and is able to walk over water.
- These effects only last while Kokomi remains active. Swapping places with an ally will end the Elemental Burst.
Song of Pearls (Passive 1) – Ascension 1
- When Kokomi wears the Ceremonial Garment created by her Elemental Burst, her Normal and Charged Attack damage bonuses (based on her max HP) will receive an additional increase based on 15% of her healing bonus.
Princess of Watatsumi (Passive 2) – Ascension 4
- Decreases Stamina consumption while swimming by 20% for your own teammates. Doesn’t stack with Passive Talents providing the same effect.
Tamanooya’s Casket (Passive 3) – Unlocked
- If Kokomi uses her Elemental Burst while the Bake-Kurage is active, its duration will refresh.
Flawless Strategy (Special Passive) – Unlocked
- Kokomi has a negative Critical Rate of -100%, but she gains a 25% healing bonus.
Best Kokomi Build
One thing is clear: our new Hydro healer needs a secondary HP stat. Besides that, she needs a higher Energy Recharge. Luckily, miHoYo will release the perfect 5-Star Catalyst along with the Kokomi Wish Banner. Besides granting her HP, a healing bonus, and a way to restore Energy that’s totally in sync with her Elemental Burst effects, the Everlasting Moonglow Catalyst increases Kokomi’s Normal Attack damage based on her HP.
However, some of us mere mortals won’t be able to get both a 5-Star character and a 5-Star Catalyst from the Wish Banner. That’s not really an issue, though. The Prototype Amber is a great substitute with a more modest but still useful HP and Energy boost.
The Prototype Amber can be crafted at a blacksmith station, so it’s far from impossible to get. If you currently lack the materials, try a Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers 3-Star Catalyst instead. Its Support ability is always useful, and it will provide the much needed health boost.
Everlasting Moonglow (5-Star) – Grants a large HP increase. Furthermore, increases healing bonus by 10%, and Normal Attack damage by 1% of Kokomi’s max HP. After using an Elemental Burst, Normal Attack hits shall restore 0.6 Energy.
Prototype Amber (4-Star) – This Catalyst also grants an HP increase. Furthermore, using an Elemental Burst will generate four to six Energy every two seconds (for a total of six seconds). All teammates generate up to 6% HP every two seconds for the duration of this effect.
Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers (3-Star) – Increases HP with its secondary stat. Furthermore, swapping to another character will increase that character’s attack by 24 to 48% for 10 seconds (can occur once every 20 seconds).
Best Kokomi Artifacts
At first glance, the Maiden Beloved Artifact set seems the most obvious choice for a healer like Kokomi. However, remember that both Kokomi’s healing and her attack damage scale with her max HP, which means that it’s quite easy to get her healing to a high enough level without the need to use Maiden Beloved.
High-level players in particular may prefer Heart of Depth instead, as its full set works really well with Kokomi’s abilities. You can also combine any of these with the Tenacity of the Millelith or (only if you really need it) a 2-piece Emblem of Severed Fate.
As for Kokomi’s stats, you can’t go wrong with HP% on the Sands and Goblet slot, and perhaps the healing bonus on the Circlet. It’s best to avoid Hydro bonus stats since Kokomi isn’t a DPS and her Attack scales with her HP anyway. Try to find Artifacts with high Energy Recharge as a sub-stat. Naturally, as she can’t use her Critical, anything’s better than that!
Maiden Beloved – (2) +15% Healing effectiveness. (4) If you use an Elemental Skill or Elemental Burst, all teammates receive +20% healing for 10 seconds.
Heart of Depth – (2) +15% Hydro damage bonus. (4) Normal and Charged Attacks gain a 30% damage increase for 15 seconds after casting an Elemental Skill.
Tenacity of the Millelith – (2) Increases HP by 20%.
Emblem of Severed Fate – (2) Energy Recharge +20%.
Best Team for Kokomi
Once you get her a good Catalyst and Artifacts, Kokomi should be able to keep the team alive on her own. That leaves three slots for DPS characters and perhaps an attack buff Support. But what kind of Elements are we looking for?
Hydro Elemental Resonance grants a 15% healing bonus, but a good Kokomi build won’t really need it. Furthermore, the number of suitable Hydro companions is limited. Tartaglia can be a great DPS teammate, and Xingqiu may provide additional protection and Hydro damage, but that’s about it.
You’re probably going to have a lot of fun with a Freeze team using Cryo Elemental Resonance, though. Kokomi can’t use the Critical Rate buff, but a strong Cryo DPS like 5-Star Ayaka or 4-Star Chongyun can. Two Pyro characters would give a nice attack boost, as well. Consider using Bennett in particular, as he may grant an attack buff on top of Kokomi’s healing for the rest of the team.
Finally, Fischl seems like a perfect ally. She’s capable of triggering continuous Electro-Charged Reactions with a very high damage output. And, if you’re very lucky and you got Raiden Shogun on the previous banner, she can provide useful Burst buffs for Kokomi.
- Top Tier Team
- Main DPS: Tartaglia (Hydro Elemental Resonance), Ayaka.
- Sub DPS: Fischl, Ganyu (Freeze Reactions), Kazuha.
- Sub DPS/Support: Kokomi, Xingqiu (Elemental Resonance), Bennett (Attack Buffs).
- Support: Kokomi, Raiden Shogun (Elemental Burst Battery).
- Budget Team
- Main DPS: Kaeya, Traveler.
- Sub DPS: Lisa, Xiangling.
- Support: Kokomi.
- Talent Level-Up Material: Teachings/Guide/Philosophies of Transience.
- Common Ascension Material: Spectral Husk/Heart/Nucleus.
- Weekly Material: Hellfire Butterfly.
None of these Constellation upgrades seem absolutely essential. Most of them are focused on Kokomi’s damage potential, which isn’t really required to fulfill her Support role. As she will be released alongside a Weapon Wish Banner featuring her signature Catalyst, you might want to spend your extra Primogems on that banner instead of trying to increase Constellation levels.
Level 1 – At Water’s Edge: While the Ceremonial Garment state (Elemental Burst) is active, the final attack in Kokomi’s Normal Attack combo unleashes a swimming fish to deal 30% of her max HP as Hydro damage (not considered normal attack damage).
Level 2 – The Clouds Like Waves Rippling: Kokomi’s healing gains the following bonuses for characters with 50% or less HP:
- Bake-Kurage (Elemental Skill) healing bonus: 4.5% of Kokomi’s max HP.
- Normal and Charged Attack healing bonus after Elemental Burst: 0.6% of Kokomi’s max HP.
Level 3 – The Moon, A Ship O’er the Seas: Increases the max level of Kokomi’s Elemental Burst by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
Level 4 –The Moon Overlooks the Waters: When donning the Elemental Burst Ceremonial Garment, Kokomi’s Normal Attack speed is increased by 10%. Furthermore, Normal Attack hits will restore 0.8 Energy (may occur once every 0.2 seconds).
Level 5 – All Streams Flow to the Sea: Increases Kokomi’s Elemental Skill level by 3, to a max upgrade level of 15.
Level 6 – Sango Isshin: If Kokomi heals a character with 80% or more HP while wearing the Ceremonial Garment (created by the Elemental Burst), she gains a 40% Hydro damage bonus for four seconds.
Kokomi Ascension Information
These are all the materials needed to Ascend Kokomi:
- 1st Ascension (Max Level 20) – 1 Varunada Lazurite Sliver, 3 Sango Pearl, 3 Spectral Husk.
- 2nd Ascension (Max Level 40) – 3 Varunada Lazurite Fragments, 2 Dew of Repudiation, 10 Sango Pearl, 15 Spectral Husk.
- 3rd Ascension (Max Level 50) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Fragments, 4 Dew of Repudiation, 20 Sango Pearl, 12 Spectral Heart.
- 4th Ascension (Max Level 60) – 3 Varunada Lazurite Chunks, 8 Dew of Repudiation, 30 Sango Pearl, 18 Spectral Heart.
- 5th Ascension (Max Level 70) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Chunks, 12 Dew of Repudiation, 45 Sango Pearl, 12 Spectral Nucleus.
- 6th Ascension (Max Level 80) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Gemstones, 20 Dew of Repudiation, 60 Sango Pearl, 24 Spectral Nucleus.
Have you decided on a Kokomi build and team composition yet? Share your ideas with us in the comments!