Shikanoin Heizou is about to become Genshin Impact’s second 4-Star Anemo Catalyst user. So… bye-bye, Sucrose and welcome, Inazuman, martial-artist-meets-airbending guy? As it’s never too early to start preparing Ascension materials and working on build ideas, here’s an early Heizou build guide based on information from Honeyhunter.
Heizou Release Date
The cheerful, lively, and, as the character description says, unruly detective is expected to join the roster in Genshin Impact Version 2.8. Of course, no Heizou release date has yet been confirmed, but this could be as soon as July 12 (right after the update) or otherwise in August.
Shikanoin Heizou has Anemo Vision and uses a Catalyst, which means that all of his attacks deal Anemo damage. His base Attack is relatively low, similar to Xiangling and Beidou. Luckily, though, Heizou’s Ascension stat increases his Anemo damage.
The big question is what Heizou’s combat role should be. Is he your next Anemo DPS or a Swirl Support? Based on his abilities as described below, this airbender best fits the role of a Sub DPS/Support hybrid or Main DPS. His Normal and Charged Attacks aren’t that powerful, but his Elemental Skill and Burst have great potential. On top of that, Heizou can provide Elemental Mastery to the team (the Penetrative Reasoning passive).
At a cost of only 40, the Elemental Burst doesn’t require a high Recharge stat. Both cooldowns (10 seconds for the Skill and 12 for the Burst) are short. To maximize his damage, focus your Heizou build on his Anemo damage bonus and Attack percentage.
Fudou Style Martial Arts (Normal Attack)
- Normal Attack: Performs up to five fisticuffs, dealing Anemo damage.
- Charged Attack: Uses stamina to perform an upwards kick, dealing Anemo damage.
- Plunging Attack: Deals Anemo AoE damage on impact.
Heartstopper Strike (Elemental Skill)
- Tapping the skill button performs a forward Heartstopper Strike punch that deals Anemo damage.
- Holding the skill button creates an even bigger blow.
- While charging the skill, Heizou receives the Declension effect, increasing the damage based on the hold duration.
- Declension has four stacks. After the fourth stack is obtained, the Conviction effect becomes active, creating an even bigger strike with a larger AoE.
Windmuster Kick (Elemental Burst)
- Heizou jumps up and kicks an Anemo Vacuum Slugger towards his opponent.
- The Vacuum Slugger explodes upon hit and creates an Arresting Windtunnel, drawing in nearby enemies while dealing AoE Anemo damage.
- If the Vacuum slugger hits opponents affected by Pyro, Electro, Cryo, or Hydro, they will receive the Windmuster effect.
- The Windmuster will explode after a moment, dealing extra damage of the aforementioned Elemental damage type (Pyro, Electro, Cryo, or Hydro).
- Windmuster can affect a maximum of four enemies at once. They can’t receive damage from more than one of the four Elemental types mentioned.
Paradoxical Practice (Passive 1) – Ascension 1
When Heizou creates a Swirl reaction in combat, he gains one Declension stack for his Elemental Skill. This effect can be triggered once every 0.1 seconds.
Penetrative Reasoning (Passive 2) – Ascension 4
After Heizou’s Elemental Skill hits an opponent, every ally’s Elemental Mastery is increased by 80 for a total of 10 seconds.
Pre-Existing Guilt (Passive 3) – Unlocked
Decreases sprinting stamina consumption by 20% for only your own party members. Not stackable with Passive Abilities providing the same effect.
Best Heizou Build
It’s impossible to select a single Catalyst as the best weapon for Heizou, as it depends on the stats you’re looking for. Attack percentage is great on a DPS build; Critical Rate and Critical Damage are great if you balance them well with your Artifacts; and Elemental Mastery is fine if you’re going for a Swirl Support Heizou.
If you have a high enough Critical Rate, Kagura’s Verity offers an amazing Critical Damage and Anemo damage bonus. Although you’d have to use your Normal Attacks, Skyward Atlas is another great Catalyst for a DPS role.
As for 4-Star alternatives, the Widsith is a good choice since all of its potential buffs work with Heizou’s kit. Solar Pearl has even better stats, but since it needs a lot of active time, it’s only suitable for a Main DPS build. If you’re looking for a craftable Catalyst, go for the Mappa Mare instead.
- Kagura’s Verity (5-Star) – Increases Critical Damage. When using an Elemental Skill, the Elemental Skill damage of the wearer increases by up to 24% for a duration of 16 seconds (max three stacks). If the wearer has the maximum amount of stacks, their Elemental damage increases by up to 24%.
- Skyward Atlas (5-Star) – Increases Attack Power and grants an Elemental Damage bonus of up to 24%. Normal Attacks have a 50% chance to deal up to 320% extra Attack damage through the favor of the clouds. Can occur once every 30 seconds.
- The Widsith (4-Star) – Increases Critical Damage. When a character takes the field, they will gain a random theme song for 10 seconds (can only occur once every 30 seconds). Either their Attack, Elemental Mastery, or Elemental Damage will increase.
- Solar Pearl (4-Star) – Increases Critical rate. Normal Attack hits increase Elemental Skill and Elemental Burst damage by up to 40% for six seconds. Likewise, Elemental Skill or Burst hits increase Normal Attack damage by up to 40% for six seconds.
- Mappa Mare (4-Star) – Triggering an Elemental Reaction grants an Elemental damage bonus of up to 16% for a duration of 10 seconds (max two stacks).
Best Heizou Artifacts
Your Heizou build can’t go wrong with an Attack or Anemo damage bonus, so a 2-piece Viridescent Venerer and Gladiator’s Finale combo (or any other 2-piece Attack set) is a good option. If you don’t have Viridescent Venerer, two 2-piece Attack sets can work as well.
However, a 4-piece Viridescent Venerer is even better if you think of the team as a whole. Heizou can trigger Swirl Reactions constantly, which enables him to keep your opponent’s resistance decrease activated. This will also benefit his ally’s damage.
If you’re still short on Anemo or Attack-based Artifacts, see if you can dig up a 2-piece Wanderer’s Troupe for more Elemental Mastery. As for the individual Artifact stats, Anemo damage on the Goblet slot and Critical Rate or Critical Damage on the Circlet slot are the best options. For Sands, you can go with Attack percentage.
- Viridescent Venerer – (2) +15% Anemo damage bonus. (4) Increase Swirl damage by 60%. Decreases opponent’s resistance to the Element infused in the Swirl by 40% for 10 seconds.
Gladiator’s Finale (or other 2-piece Attack set) – (2) Increases Attack by 18%.
- Wanderer’s Troupe – (2) Increases Elemental Mastery by 80.
Best Team for Heizou
Since we need an ally to apply Elemental statuses on large groups of enemies, Yelan is an awesome companion for Heizou. She can deal high Hydro damage and apply wet status without needing a lot of active time. As a 4-Star alternative, you can use Xingqiu.
To create a strong taser team, try to find an additional Electro damage dealer like Raiden Shogun or Fischl. Of course, Bennett’s Attack bonus is always welcome and the Electro’s can be switched for Cryo characters to better suit your roster.
As for healing, using a Constellation level 6 Diona will not only heal and shield our new airbender, but also provide him with a large Elemental Mastery bonus. A healer like Kokomi is great, too, since she can heal you and apply wet status on enemies at the same time.
Top Tier Team
- Main DPS/Sub DPS: Klee, Hu Tao
- Sub DPS: Yelan, Raiden Shogun, Yae Miko
- Sub DPS/Support: Heizou, Bennett
- Support: Diona, Kokomi
- Main DPS: Heizou, Kaeya
- Sub DPS: Fischl, Xiangling
- Sub DPS/Support: Diona
- Support: Barbara
- Talent Level-Up Material: Teachings/Guide/Philosophies of Transience
- Common Ascension Material: Treasure Hoarder/Silver Raven/Golden Raven Insignia
- Weekly Material: The Meaning of Aeons (Raiden Shogun Boss drop)
Should you get Heizou’s Constellations? As with all 4-Stars, it partly depends on the other characters on his banner. Based on the passive abilities alone, the only truly strong one is Constellation level 6. The first level is mostly useful to those making Heizou their Main DPS; level 4 is only good if you’re short on Energy Recharge.
- Level 1 – Named Juvenile Casebook: Heizou’s Normal Attack Speed is increased by 15% for five seconds after he takes the field. He also gains a stack of Declension. This effect can be triggered once every 10 seconds.
- Level 2 – Investigative Collection: Enhances the pull effect of the Arresting Windtunnel created by the Elemental Burst. Its duration is increased to one second.
- Level 3 – Esoteric Puzzle Book: Increases the Elemental Skill level by three (maximum upgrade is 15).
- Level 4 – Tome of Lies: The first Windmuster Iris explosion (after using the Elemental Burst) will generate nine Elemental Energy for Heizou. Every subsequent explosion will generate an additional 1.5 Energy. The maximum amount of Energy gained this way is 13.5.
- Level 5 – Secret Archive: Increases Elemental Burst level by three (maximum upgrade is 15).
- Level 6 – Curious Casefiles: Each Declension stack increases the Critical Rate of the Elemental Skill by 4%. When the Conviction effect is active (full stack of Declension), Heartstopper Strike’s Critical Damage is increased by 32%.
Heizou Ascension Information
These are all the materials needed to Ascend Heizou:
- 1st Ascension (Max Level 20) – 1 Vayuda Turquoise Sliver, 3 Onikabuto, 3 Treasure Hoarder Insignia
- 2nd Ascension (Max Level 40) – 3 Vayuda Turquoise Fragments, 2 Runic Fang, 10 Onikabuto, 15 Treasure Hoarder Insignia
- 3rd Ascension (Max Level 50) – 6 Vayuda Turquoise Fragments, 4 Runic Fang, 20 Onikabuto, 12 Silver Raven Insignia
- 4th Ascension (Max Level 60) – 3 Vayuda Turquoise Chunks, 8 Runic Fang, 30 Onikabuto, 18 Silver Raven Insignia
- 5th Ascension (Max Level 70) – 6 Vayuda Turquoise Chunks, 12 Runic Fang, 45 Onikabuto, 12 Golden Raven Insignia
- 6th Ascension (Max Level 80) – 6 Vayuda Turquoise Gemstones, 20 Runic Fang, 60 Onikabuto, 24 Golden Raven Insignia
Do you think this kick-flipping martial artist detective is worth your Primogems? Share your own Shikanoin Heizou build ideas in the comments!