Gorou, General of the Watatsumi Resistance Army and all-round Geo expert, is ready to join your Genshin Impact team! This 4-Star character will be released alongside the new 5-Star Arataki Itto, on December 14. The Geo General is blessed with some very unique Support abilities. That also means it’s not easy to find him a great weapon and Artifact set, but we’re here to help you out. The build guide below is based on miHoYo’s gameplay videos and the info on Honey Hunter World (thanks for that!). Here are the best build options for Gorou.
You May Also Like:
- Genshin Impact Itto Guide: Ascension Materials, Weapon, Release Date
- Genshin Impact Thoma Build Guide: Team & Materials for Patch 2.2 (November 2021)
- The Top 10 Game Console Names That Feel Good in My Mouth
One look at Gorou’s abilities will tell you that he’s a specialized Support character. A second look will tell you that he’s also quite unusual; his Support abilities (both Elemental Skill and Elemental Burst) get stronger if you have more Geo characters on the team. A total of three Geo’s will grant your team increased Defense, resistance to interruption, and a Geo damage bonus.
It’s important to remember that the Elemental Burst basically offers an enhanced version of the Elemental Skill’s War-Banner. If you just used the Burst, don’t use the Elemental Skill directly after, but wait for its effects to end. Characters can only benefit from one War-Banner or General’s Glory at a time.
So, in other words: Gorou’s task is to jump in, plant a War-Banner or General’s Glory field, and jump out. When the timer ends, repeat.
Ripping Fang Fletching (Normal Attack)
- Normal Attacks: Performs up to four shots with the Bow.
- Charged Attack: Performs an Aimed Shot, dealing more damage. A fully charged shot deals Geo damage.
- Plunging Attack: Deals AOE damage on impact.
Inuzaka All-Round Defense (Elemental Skill)
- Deals AOE Geo damage and leaves a General War-Banner on the field. Hold to change direction before planting the banner.
- The General War-Banner grants the following effects based on the number of Geo allies within its AOE:
- One Geo Ally: Increased Defense.
- Two Geo Allies: Grants resistance to interruption.
- Three Geo Allies: Geo damage bonus.
- Characters can only gain the effects of one General War-Banner at a time. If a character leaves the field, the effects remain for two seconds.
Juuga: Forward Unto Victory (Elemental Burst)
- Deals AOE Geo damage and creates a Geo field: General’s Glory. Standing in this field has the following effects:
- The same ally-based effects as the General War-Banner, but this field will move with your character.
- Generates one Crystal Collapse every 1.5 seconds, dealing Geo AOE damage to one enemy within the AOE.
- Elemental shards created by Crystallize Reactions are pulled towards the active character (once per 1.5 seconds).
- If a General War-Banner was already on the field (Elemental Skill), it will be destroyed.
Heedless of the Wind and Weather (Passive 1) – Ascension 1
- All nearby party members’ Defense is increased by 25% for 12 seconds after using the Elemental Burst.
A Favor Repaid (Passive 2) – Ascension 4
- Gorou receives the following bonuses based on his max Defense:
- Elemental Skill damage increases by 156% of his Defense stat.
- Elemental Burst damage (including Crystal Collapse) increases by 15.6% of Defense.
Seeker of Shinies (Passive 3) – Unlocked
- Inazuma local specialties are displayed on the mini map.
Best Gorou Build
Unfortunately, there aren’t any Bows with a Defense stat in Genshin Impact yet. So for now, we’re looking for Energy Recharge to use Gorou’s Burst as often as possible. If you’re set on a 5-Star, then Elegy for the End is the best choice. However, our new Geo General isn’t the best character to collect the Sigils of Remembrance.
The 4-Star Favonius Warbow is actually a better option. It offers by far the highest Energy Recharge, and its passive is useful to those with a high enough Critical Rate. You can also use the Sacrificial Bow, but keep in mind that Gorou’s short Elemental Skill cooldown makes the passive a bit superfluous.
Favonius Warbow (4-Star) – Increases Energy Recharge. Critical hits have a chance to generate a small number of Elemental Particles, which restores six Energy each for the character. Can occur every six seconds when fully upgraded.
Elegy for the End (5-Star) – Increases Energy Recharge. Also increases Elemental Mastery by up to 120 points. When the Elemental Skills or Elemental Bursts of the character wielding this weapon hit opponents, that character gains a Sigil of Remembrance. This effect can be triggered once every 0.2 seconds and can be triggered even if the character is not on the field. When you possess four Sigils of Remembrance, all nearby party members have their Elemental Mastery increased by 100 and Attack by 20%.
Sacrificial Bow (4-Star) – Increases Energy Recharge. After dealing damage with an Elemental Skill, the skill has a maximum chance of 80% to end its own cooldown. Can occur once every 16 seconds when fully upgraded.
Best Gorou Artifacts
The new Husk of Opulent Dreams Artifact set is a good choice. Thanks to Gorou’s short Elemental Skill cooldown and the possibility to gain Curiosity stacks while off-field, gaining the Defense and Geo bonuses shouldn’t be a problem.
However, it could be even better to combine Husk of Opulent Dreams with the Emblem of Severed Fate set, especially if you don’t have a Bow with a high Energy Recharge stat. Archaic Petra wouldn’t be bad on our new Geo Support either, but only as a substitute while farming the other sets.
As for the stats, you can’t go wrong with Defense. However, you should use a Geo bonus Artifact on the Goblet slot instead if you wish to increase Gorou’s damage potential. Furthermore, depending on weapon choice and teammates, you might need the Sands slot to increase your Energy Recharge.
Husk of Opulent Dreams – (2) Defense +30%. (4) The wearer gains one Curiosity stack every three seconds when off-field, or when hitting an opponent with a Geo attack (no more than once every 0.3 seconds). One Curiosity stack grants a 6% Defense and 6% Geo damage bonus. You can get a maximum of four stacks.
Emblem of Severed Fate – (2) +20% Energy recharge.
Archaic Petra – (2) Geo damage bonus +15%.
Best Team for Gorou
Gorou requires an oddly specific team composition. He’s a Support, but his skills only work with Geo allies. You therefore need to create an (almost) full Geo team.
The 5-Star Geo DPS characters Albedo and Itto are the perfect allies, as they can make optimal use of the Defense and Geo bonuses granted by Gorou. The best shield Support would be Zhongli. However, if you don’t have these 5-Star characters, you can still create a strong Geo team with Noelle and Ningguang as Support/Sub DPS characters. You can also use Geo Traveler, but you won’t benefit from the Defense bonus as much.
As the maximum bonuses from the Geo General’s abilities can be obtained with only three Geo characters, that leaves a spot for another Element. Raiden Shogun is perfect, as she can fuel everyone’s Burst, increase Burst damage, and perform joined Electro attacks (creating Crystallize Reactions with Geo). Alternatively, you can go for a good 4-Star passive Elemental DPS, such as Xiangling or Fischl.
Top Tier Team
- Main DPS: Arataki Itto
- Sub DPS: Albedo, Xiangling
- Sub DPS/Support: Raiden Shogun, Bennett
- Support: Gorou, Zhongli
- Main DPS: Geo Traveler, Xinyan, Kaeya
- Sub DPS: Ningguang, Xiangling
- Sub DPS/Support: Gorou
- Support: Noelle
- Talent Level-Up Material: Teachings/Guide/Philosophies of Light
- Common Ascension Material: Spectral Husk/Heart/Nucleus
- Weekly Material: Molten Moment
Given that Gorou’s abilities benefit the whole team if you go for full Geo, it’s more important to reach high Constellation levels. Level 6 seems especially powerful, as this grants a 40% Geo damage bonus to Geo DPS allies. If you need a Geo healer but don’t want to use Noelle, Constellation level 4 will help you out.
- Level 1 – Rushing Hound: Swift as the Wind: When characters (other than Gorou himself) deal Geo damage within the AOE of a General’s War Banner or General’s Glory, Gorou’s Elemental Skill cooldown is decreased by two seconds. This effect can occur once every ten seconds.
- Level 2 – Sitting Hound: Steady as a Clock: If an active character within the General’s Glory AOE obtains an Elemental Shard from a Crystallize Reaction, the General’s Glory duration is increased by one second (up to a max of three seconds).
- Level 3 – Mauling Hound: Fierce as Fire: Increases the Elemental Skill level by three. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 4 – Lapping Hound: Warm as Water: When General’s Glory grants its two- or three-Geo characters effect, it will also heal the active character within its AOE by 50% of Gorou’s Defense (every 1.5 seconds).
- Level 5 – Striking Hound: Thunderous Force: Increases the Elemental Burst level by three, to a max level of 15.
- Level 6 – Valiant Hound: Mountainous Fealty: For 12 seconds after using an Elemental Skill or Burst, Gorou increases nearby allies’ Critical Geo Damage based on the War-Banner or Genral’s Glory field level: 10% (one Geo ally), 20% (two Geo allies), or 40% (three Geo allies).
Gorou Ascension Information
These are all the materials needed to Ascend the General of the Watatsumi Army:
- 1st Ascension (Max Level 20) – 1 Prithiva Topaz Sliver, 3 Sango Pearl, 3 Spectral Husk
- 2nd Ascension (Max Level 40) – 3 Prithiva Topaz Fragments, 2 Perpetual Heart, 10 Sango Pearls, 15 Spectral Husk
- 3rd Ascension (Max Level 50) – 6 Prithiva Topaz Fragments, 4 Perpetual Heart, 20 Sango Pearls, 12 Spectral Heart
- 4th Ascension (Max Level 60) – 3 Prithiva Topaz Chunks, 8 Perpetual Heart, 30 Sango Pearls, 18 Spectral Heart
- 5th Ascension (Max Level 70) – 6 Prithiva Topaz Chunks, 12 Perpetual Heart, 45 Sango Pearls, 12 Spectral Nucleus
- 6th Ascension (Max Level 80) – 6 Prithiva Topaz Gemstones, 20 Perpetual Heart, 60 Sango Pearls, 24 Spectral Nucleus
Think you should go for the full-Geo team? Or would you rather use some other Elements? Let us know in the comments!