It’s finally time! We’ve known Ganyu was in the works since Genshin Impact Patch 1.2 was released back in December. Since then, fans have anxiously been awaiting her banner. If you were lucky enough to pull her, in this guide, we take a look at what her abilities can do, recommend a best build including weapons, artifacts, and a team to support her.
Note: This guide is based on datamined information as Ganyu currently isn’t available. We’ll be updating this guide once Ganyu has been released and we’ve been able to actually try her out for ourselves.
More Genshin Impact:
- Genshin Impact Qingxin Guide – Qingxin Flower Location & Uses
- Genshin Impact Cor Lapis Guide – Cor Lapis Location & Uses
- Genshin Impact Violetgrass Guide – Violetgrass Location & Uses
Ganyu is a bow user, and a unique one at that. She has a full six attack combo with abilities that strongly emphasize actually using her charged up basic attacks. At full strength, one of these arrows will create a flower bloom which explodes. Ganyu’s basic ability features a similar effect, spawning a bloom which aggros nearby foes before blowing up in AOE Cryo damage. Finally, her ultimate creates a large AOE which periodically causes Cryo shards to fall from the sky, hitting opponents for large amounts of damage.
- Dance on Fire (Basic Attack)
- Normal Attack: Performs up to six consecutive strikes with a bow.
- Charged Attack: Perform a more precise Aimed Shot with increased damage. While aiming, an icy aura will accumulate on the arrowhead before the arrow is fired. Has different effects based on how long the energy has been charged:
- Charge Level 1: Fires off an icy arrow that deals Cryo damage.
- Charge Level 2: Fires off a Frostflake Arrow that deals Cryo damage. The Frostflake Arrow blooms after hitting its target, dealing AOE Cryo damage.
- Plunging Attack: Fires off a shower of arrows in mid-air before falling and striking the ground, damaging enemies along the path and dealing AOE DMG upon impact.
- Trail of the Qilin (Basic Ability)
- Leaving a single Ice Lotus behind, Ganyu dashes backward, shunning all impurity and dealing AOE Cryo damage. The Ice Lotus continuously taunts surrounding opponents, attracting them to attack it. Its endurance scales based on Ganyu’s Max HP, and it blooms profusely when destroyed or once its duration ends, dealing AOE Cryto damage.
- Celestial Shower (Ultimate)
- Coalesces atmospheric frost and snow to summon a Sacred Cryo Pearl that exorcises evil. While active, the Sacred Cryo Pearl will continuously rain down shards of ice, striking opponents within its AOE and dealing Cryo damage.
- Undivided Heart (Passive 1) – Ascension 1
- After firing a Frostflake Arrow, the critical rate of subsequent Frostflake Arrows and their resulting blooms is increased by 20 percent for five seconds.
- Harmony Between Heaven and Earth (Passive 2) – Ascension 4
- Celestial Shower grants a 20 percent Cryo damage bonus to active party members in the AOE.
- Preserved for the Hunt (Passive 3) – Unlocked
- Refunds 15 percent of the ores used when crafting Bow-type weapons.
Ganyu strikes me as a sub-DPS moreso than a primary DPS. So many of her abilities involve applying frost and can be just as effective when you’re playing another character. Not to mention Trail of the Qilin scales off of maximum HP. As such, she’s probably more along the lines of a Fischl than a Diluc or Tartaglia.
Keep in mind that some of her abilities do favor being up close and personal.
Amos’ Bow (5-Star): Increases normal attack and aimed shot damage by 12/15/18/21/24%. Increases damage from arrows shot a further 8/10/12/14/16% for every 0.1 seconds that the arrow is in flight up to 0.5 seconds. Stacks up to five times on each arrow.
The Viridescent Hunt (4-Star): Upon hit, normal and aimed shot attacks have a 50 percent chance to generate a Cyclone, which will continuously attract surrounding enemies, dealing 40 percent of attack as damage to these enemies every 0.5 seconds for four seconds. This effect can only occur once every 14 seconds.
Slingshot (3-Star): If a normal attack or aimed shot hits a target within 0.3 seconds of being fired, increases damage by 36/42/48/54/60%; otherwise, it decreases damage by ten percent.
Our artifact choices highlight her unique incentive to do charged attacks. If you want a stronger Trail of the Qilin, make sure the artifacts boost her maximum HP.
Wanderer’s Troupe (5-Star): (2) Elemental Mastery +50. (4) Increases charged attack damage by 35 percent if the character uses a catalyst or a bow.
Resolution of Sojourner (4-Star): (2) Attack +18%. (4) Increases charged attack crit rate by 30 percent.
Martial Artist (4-Star): (2) Increases normal attack and charged attack damage by 15 percent. (4) After using an elemental skill, increases normal attack and charged attack damage by 25 percent for eight seconds.
- Top Tier Team
- Budget Team
- Talent Level-Up Material: Teachings/Guide/Philosophies of Diligence
- Common Ascension Material: Whopperflower/Shimmering/Energy Nectar
- Weekly Material: Shadow of the Warrior
We’re putting the constellation information here at the bottom because it’s incredibly difficult to rank these up in any meaningful way outside of sheer luck. Needless to say, Ganyu is yet another character whos real power unlocks once you’ve leveled up her constellations. It’s a shame these are so difficult to unlock.
- Level 1 – Dew-Drinker: Taking damage from a Charge Level 2 Frostflake Arrow or Frostflake Arrow Bloom decreases opponents’ Cryo resistance by 15 percent for six seconds. A hit regenerates two Energy for Ganyu. This effect can only occur once per Charge Level 2 Frostflake Arrow, regardless if the Frostflake Arrow itself or its Bloom hits the target.
- Level 2 – The Auspicious: Trail of the Qilin gains one additional charge.
- Level 3 – Cloud-Strider: Increases the level of Celestial Arrow by three. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 4 – Westward Sojourn: Opponents standing within the AOE of Celestial Shower take increased damage. This effect strengthens over time. Increased damage begins at five percent and increases by five percent every three seconds, up to a maximum of 25 percent. The effect lingers for three seconds after the opponent leaves the AOE.
- Level 5 – The Merciful: Increases the level of Trail of the Qilin by three. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 6 – The Clement: Using Trail of the Qilin causes the next Frostflake Arrow shot within 30 seconds to not require charging.
Here’s what you’ll need to maximize Ganyu’s level cap.
- 1st Ascension (Max Level 20) – 1 Shivada Jade Sliver, 3 Qingxin, 3 Whopperflower Nectar
- 2nd Ascension (Max Level 40) – 3 Shivada Jade Fragments, 2 Hoarfrost Cores, 10 Qingxin, 15 Whopperflower Nectar
- 3rd Ascension (Max Level 50) – 6 Shivada Jade Fragments, 4 Hoarfrost Cores, 20 Qingxin, 12 Shimmering Nectar
- 4th Ascension (Max Level 60) – 3 Shivada Jade Chunks, 8 Hoarfrost Cores, 30 Qingxin, 18 Shimmering Nectar
- 5th Ascension (Max Level 70) – 6 Shivada Jade Chunks, 12 Hoarfrost Cores, 45 Qingxin, 12 Energy Nectar
- 6th Ascension (Max Level 80) – 6 Shivada Jade Gemstones, 20 Hoarfrost Cores, 60 Qingxin, 24 Energy Nectar
And that’s it! Is there anything we missed? Let us know in the comments below!