There’s a big party in Liyue Harbor and you don’t want to miss it. With Chinese New Year fast approaching, Genshin Impact is celebrating with a massive event called Fleeting Colors in Flight. There’s a ton to do with four brand-new challenges and very big rewards including afree 4-Star character of your choice, a new outfit for Ningguang, and heaps of Primogems.
The Fleeting Colors in Flight event takes place over 17 days from January 25 to February 12. Be aware that the Event Shop only stays open for two more days after that, so make sure to log in and claim your rewards before February 14 when it closes!
If you need some help navigating the Fleeting Colors of Flight event, here’s everything you need to know about the requirements, challenges, and rewards.
Fleeting Colors in Flight Unlock Requirements
To participate in this event, you need to have an Adventure Rank of at least 28. On top of that, you need to have completed Archon Quest Chapter I: Act III – A New Star Approaches and Archon Quest Interlude Chapter: Act I – A Crane Returns on the Wind.
A Crane Returns on the Wind is the new Archon Quest added in Genshin Impact Version 2.4. It introduces the new 5-Star character Shenhe. If you’ve completed A New Star Approaches, it will automatically appear in your Journal.
A fair warning while this event is active: completing the Archon Quests and the event challenge quests takes a lot of time. It may even take longer if you have other World Quests active in your Journal, as they can keep characters “occupied.” Our advice: don’t wait too long before starting Fleeting Colors in Flight.
How to get a Free 4-Star Character
To unlock the free 4-Star character of your choice you need to do the following:
- Complete The Stars Inscribe the Year’s Wishes quest.
- Spend 1000 Affluence Talismans
- Spend 1000 Conquest Talismans
Unfortunately, we can’t do the quest yet. Leaks have suggested that it’s the introduction quest for the final combat challenge of the Fleeting Colors in Flight event: Oceanic Defender. If that’s indeed the case, it becomes available on the fifth event day.
Conquest Talismans are rewarded during the fourth challenge, Ocean Defender. You’ll likely have to complete the boss fight several times to obtain at least 1000.
The Affluence Talismans are rewarded during challenges one and three. If you create a firework of over 2100 quality in Flameplume Starflowers, you get 300 Affluence Talismans. Solving a Lantern Riddle in Wondrous Shadows, gives 200 Affluence Talismans. In other words, you only need to do two of each to have enough for the free 4-Star character.
How to Get Ningguang’s Outfit: Orchid’s Evening Gown
Ningguang’s new outfit, Orchid’s Evening Gown, is a currency collection reward. That means you need to complete three objectives, but you don’t have to spend any event currencies to obtain it. These are the requirements, as listed under the Moon’s Comely Brow challenge:
- Obtain 2400 Affluence Talismans
- Obtain 2200 Immaculate Talismans
- Obtain 1800 Conquest Talismans
As explained before, the Affluence Talismans are a reward from event challenges Flameplume Starflowers and Wondrous Shadows. The Conquest Talismans are an Oceanic Defender reward, which will become available on day five of the event. The Immaculate Talismans are obtained by doing the Great Gathering challenge.
Which 4-Star Character Should You Choose?
Let’s start with the hardest (but also best) part of the Fleeting Colors in Flight event: which of the free 4-Star characters should you pick? Ultimately, this mostly depends on your current team and what type of character (DPS, Support, or perhaps a specific Element) you’re currently missing. It’s also a good idea to check the character’s Ascension Materials before making your final choice as some may require materials from regions you haven’t unlocked yet.
That said, here’s a short overview of all eight free characters and the reasons why they may or may not be a good choice.
- Xiangling: One of the best options on this list thanks to her passive Pyro damage. Xiangling’s Elemental Skill is not that remarkable, but her Elemental Burst is very powerful. You can use her in almost any team.
- Beidou: Choose Beidou if you need an Electro DPS. Beware that her Elemental Skill requires expert timing and her Elemental Burst has a high Energy cost.
- Xingqiu: Objectively speaking, Xingqiu is the best choice. He provides damage reduction, healing, and a passive Hydro Attack that enables easy Elemental Reactions. As one of the best Supports in the game and the only 4-Star Hydro besides Barbara, Xingqiu is still used by players with plenty of 5-Star characters.
- Ningguang: A decent Geo DPS/Support hybrid. Her shield won’t move with your character (it’s literally a giant screen), but it provides a 12% Geo bonus to characters passing through. A useful ability if you have a 5-Star Geo DPS like Albedo.
- Chongyun: A great Cryo Sub DPS and Support character, Chongyun can infuse other weapons with Cryo, decrease enemies’ Cryo resistance, and increase other characters’ Normal Attack speed. He can deal great Melt damage with a character like Hu Tao, or trigger Freeze Reactions together with Xingqiu.
- Xinyan: Xinyan isn’t the best character on the list. Yu may have a hard time building Xinyan. Her Burst deals both Pyro and Physical damage and her shield scales with her Defense. Furthermore, if you want to make optimal use of her shield, you have to hit several opponents first. Other characters using Xinyan’s shield are granted a Physical Damage bonus, but the only one who can really use this is Eula.
- Yun Jin: A great choice if you need someone to spend your Defense Artifacts on. Yun Jin’s Skill and Burst damage, as well as her handy Normal Attack damage bonus, all scale with her Defense stat. The Normal Attack bonus works on her allies as well.She’s great if a character like Yoimiya is your Main DPS.
- Yanfei: If you’re looking for a good Pyro Main DPS, look no further. Yanfei needs a lot of active time though, so you may not want to use her if you’ve already got a 5-Star Pyro DPS character. If you want a passive alternative, go for Xiangling instead.
Flameplume Starflowers: Production Challenge
After finishing the Flameplume Starflowers quest, you obtain the Launch Tube Gadget. Your first step is to go to your inventory, select the Tube, and place it. You can do this anywhere. Then, choose “smelt firework” and select the first on the list.
You will see three parameters: color, size, and height. They each have a bar with a small orange marker. The challenge is to choose a smelting technique that will fill up the bar until it reaches the orange part. If you click “smelting techniques” (button on the right) you will see the different levels of smelting, measured by the amount of stamina they require.
If the orange indicator on the parameter bar is low, try a low level of stamina. If it’s placed high, go for a higher level of stamina. Now here’s the thing: these smelting techniques are cumulative. Say you need a stamina level of 20 on height, but you only have 10, 18, and 26. In that case, you need to click the stamina level of 10 twice, and you’re done. Click “complete smelting” to finish.
The Great Gathering: Curio Salvage and Interrogation by Night
The Great gathering consists of three stages, each with three types of mini-challenges. They’re all combat challenges, and most involve the Waverider. This isn’t the trickiest Fleeting Colors in Flight challenge, but keep these tips in mind:
- Interrogation by Night: A pretty straightforward combat challenge, but there’s one important thing you must do at the start of every fight: pick up the firecrackers from one of the boxes (like the one you see in the picture) and throw it at the Elite Enemy. They’re marked by a red icon, which means they’ve got a huge Defense bonus. Hit them once with the firecrackers to remove this bonus.
- Curio Salvage: Use the Waverider and sail to the marked location in Guyun Stone Forest. Simply defeat the enemies using your Waverider bombs and open the boxes. There are five locations in total.
- Midnight Interception: Another Waverider challenge. Activate the red mechanism, then follow the balloon and try to blow it up as fast as you can. Aim at the explosives in the water; this will do much more damage than your own bombs. Try to hit the bombs near the enemies as well to get bonus points.
Wondrous Shadows: Lantern Riddles
Speak to Yuan Rong in the northern part of Liyue Harbor, then activate the Wondrous Shadows mechanism next to her. This challenge may be confusing at first, but it’s actually quite simple: you have to turn the wooden figure on the right until a recognizable shape appears on the screen. You have to try this by yourself for two minutes before you receive a picture of the figure you’re trying to create (lower left corner). Here are some tips:
- You can choose between fully rotating the piece or rotating it clockwise/counterclockwise only. Best to start with the first until you see a familiar form appear.
- The bar in the lower left corner of your screen shows your progress. If you’re getting warm, it will fill up.
- It doesn’t matter if you solve the Lantern Riddle within two minutes (before getting a hint) or not. You’ll get the rewards for finding the solution regardless.
Enjoy your Lantern Rite Festival! Which Fleeting Colors in Flight challenge is your favorite? Let us know in the comments!