Chongyun isn’t the best cryo character in Genshin Impact, he’s not the best DPS, and he’s not the best claymore user either. What is he, however, is a solid workhorse that effectively enables other characters on your team. Today we’re going to run down Chongyun’s abilities and recommend what we think is the best build, best artifacts, best team composition, and more!
More Genshin Impact:
- Genshin Impact Battle Pass Guide – Rewards, Unlock, Quests, Bounties
- How to Get More Wishes in Genshin Impact
- Genshin Impact Code Guide – Redeem for Free Wishes, Primogems, & More
Chongyun is your typical claymore user. His basic attacks are slow but powerful and his charged attack causes him to spin his blade around until he becomes exhausted. In this particular case, I think Chongyun’s ultimate, Cloud-parting Star is relatively straightforward. It summons three spirit blades which plunge into the ground and explode, dealing AOE damage.
His basic ability is what’s truly useful for detonations. It’s a short AOE explosion which leaves behind a frost field, converting all damage from regular attacks by swords, claymores, and polearms into cryo damage. This means you can set off your own melts, superconducts, and frozen + shatter combos on a single character during this time.
- Demonblade (Basic Attack)
- Normal Attack: Perform up to four consecutive strikes.
- Charged Attack: Drains Stamina over time to perform continuous swirling attacks against all nearby enemies. At the end of the sequence, perform a more powerful slash.
- Plunging Attack: Plunges from mid-air to strike the ground below, damaging enemies along the path and dealing AOE DMG upon impact.
- Spirit Blade – Chonghua’s Layered Frost (Basic Ability)
- Chongyun strikes the ground with his greatsword, causing a Cryo explosion in a circular AOE in front of him that deals Cryo DMG. After a short delay, the cold air created by the Cryo explosion will coalesce into a Chonghua Frost Field, within which all DMG done through Normal and Charged Attacks by Sword, Claymore and Polearm-wielding characters will be converted to Cryo DMG.
- Spirit Blade – Cloud-parting Star (Ultimate)
- Performing the secret hand seals, Chongyun summons three giant spirit blades in mid-air that fall to the earth one by one after a short delay, exploding as they hit the ground. When the spirit blades explode, they will deal AOE Cryo DMG and launch enemies.
- Steady Breathing (Passive 1) – Ascension 1
- Sword, Claymore, or Polearm-wielding characters within the field created by Spirit Blade – Chonghua’s Layered Frost have their Normal ATK SPD increased by eight percent.
- Rimechaser Blade (Passive 2) – Ascension 4
- When the field created by Spirit Blade – Chonghua’s Layered Frost disappears, another spirit will be summoned to strike nearby enemies, dealing 100 percent of Chonghua’s Layered Frost’s Skill DMG as AOE Cryo DMG. Enemies hit by this blade will have their Cryo RES decreased by ten percent for eight seconds.
- Gallant Journey (Passive 3) – Unlocked
- When dispatched on an expedition in Liyue, time consumed is reduced by 25 percent.
Chongyun is your typical secondary DPS character who’s great at preparing enemies for elemental detonations. As a result, many of our recommendations reflect that. We do, however, think there’s a more fun way to build claymore users like him so we’ve included that as well.
When it comes to choosing a weapon we have a few recommendations. Prototype Animus is the typical weapon you’d go for as it deals small AOE damage, scaling off of your attack, up to once every 15 seconds. If you just like spinning charged attacks, Ferrous Shadow isn’t an awful weapon, especially if you’ve levelled it up.
Prototype Animus – On hit, Normal or Charged Attacks have a 50% chance to deal an additional 240/300/360/420/480% ATK DMG to enemies within a small radius. Can only occur once every 15s.
Ferrous Shadow – When HP falls below 70/75/80/85/90 percent increases Charged Attack DMG by 30/35/40/45/50 percent and Charged Attacks become much harder to interrupt.
Debate Club (Budget) – After using an Elemental Skill, Normal or Charged Attacks, on hit, deal an additional 60/75/90/105/120% ATK DMG in a small area. Effect lasts 15s. DMG can only occur once every 3s.
Gladiator’s Finale is the obvious choice here, as it is with many DPS characters, but we think Bloodstained Chivalry adds a cool flavor to Chongyun. If you’re the type of person who just spins away, defeating enemy after enemy, it might not be a bad idea to not have to pay any stamina costs for doing so for a full ten seconds. Keep spinning on!
Bloodstained Chivalry – (2) Physical DMG +25%. (4) After defeating an opponent, increases Charged Attack DMG by 50 percent, and reduces its Stamina cost to zero for ten seconds.
Gladiator’s Finale – (2) ATK +18%. (4) If the wielder of this artifact set uses a sword, claymore, or polearm, increases their normal attack damage by 35 percent.
Chongyun is primarily used as a secondary DPS character, capable of doling out some damage, but still primarily used for getting those cryo effects and elemental combinations. That said, you can also build him as a primary DPS.
- Chongyun Main DPS
- Main DPS: Chongyun
- Secondary DPS: Fischl
- Healer: Qiqi
- Support: Venti
- Chongyun Secondary DPS
- Main DPS: Diluc
- Secondary DPS: Chongyun
- Healer: Jean
- Support: Mona
- Talent Level-Up Material: Teachings/Guide/Philosophies of Diligence
- Common Ascension Material: Damaged/Stained/Ominous Mask
We’re putting the constellation information here at the bottom because it’s incredibly hard to get. You unlock one additional level for each subsequent time you summon Chongyun.
- Level 1 – Ice Unleashed: The last attack of Chongyun’s Normal Attack combo releases 3 ice blades. Each blade deals 50% of Chongyun’s ATK as Cryo DMG to all enemies in its path.
- Level 2 – Atmospheric Revolution: Elemental Skills and Elemental Bursts cast within the Frost Field created by Spirit Blade – Chonghua’s Layered Frost have their CD time decreased by 15%.
- Level 3 – Cloudburst: Increases Spirit Blade – Cloud-parting Star skill level by 3. Max level is 15.
- Level 4 – Frozen Skies: Chongyun regenerates 1 Energy every time he hits an enemy affected by Cold or Frozen status effects. This effect can only occur once every 2s.
- Level 5 – The True Path: Increases Spirit Blade – Layered Frost skill level by 3. Max level is 15.
- Level 6 – Rally of Four Blades: Spirit Blade – Cloud-parting Star deals 15% more DMG to enemies with a lower percentage of their Max HP remaining than Chongyun. This skill will also summon 1 additional spirit blade.
Here’s what you’ll need to maximize Chongyun’s level cap.
- 1st Ascension (Max Level 20) – 1 Shivada Jade Sliver, 3 Cor Lapis, 3 Damaged Mask
- 2nd Ascension (Max Level 40) – 3 Shivada Jade Fragments, 2 Hoarfrost Cores, 10 Cor Lapis, 15 Damaged Mask
- 3rd Ascension (Max Level 50) – 6 Shivada Jade Fragments, 4 Hoarfrost Cores, 20 Cor Lapis, 12 Stained Mask
- 4th Ascension (Max Level 60) – 3 Shivada Jade Chunks, 8 Hoarfrost Cores, 30 Cor Lapis, 18 Stained Mask
- 5th Ascension (Max Level 70) – 6 Shivada Jade Chunks, 12 Hoarfrost Cores, 45 Cor Lapis, 12 Ominous Mask
- 6th Ascension (Max Level 80) – 6 Shivada Jade Gemstone, 20 Hoarfrost Cores, 60 Cor Lapis, 24 Ominous Mask
And that’s it! Is there anything we missed? Let us know in the comments below!