You might know him as Childe if you’ve been playing Genshin Impact’s main storyline, but this Fatui hunk is, like Diona, an incredibly lucky draw. If you’ve had the luck of pulling him in the Farewell of Snezhnaya banner, we’ll break down our best build recommendations to bring out his harbinger side.
More Genshin Impact:
- Genshin Impact Sucrose Guide: Best Build, Artifacts, Team, & More!
- Genshin Impact Diluc Guide: Best Build, Artifacts, Team, & More!
- Genshin Impact Xingqiu Guide: Best Build, Artifacts, Team, & More!
Childe is interesting in that his basic ability alters what kind of basic attacks he has. In one, he’ll use a ranged bow and in the other he has melee weapons. Each has different effects when Riptide is applied, giving you options on how to play while juggling between the two. His ultimate also has two different modes, but each will do a large amount of hydro damage. As a whole, his ranged attacks apply Riptide and his melee attacks detonate it.
- Cutting Torrent (Basic Attack) (Ranged Stance)
- Normal Attack: Shoots up to six consecutive arrows with a bow.
- Charged Attack: An aimed shot with increased damage. This can also inflict hydro damage and inflict the Riptide status effect.
- Riptide Flash: Fully-charged aimed shots that hit enemies affected by Riptide deals consecutive AOE DMG. Can occur once every 0.7 seconds.
- Riptide Burst: Defeating an enemy that has the riptide status will create a hydro burst and inflict Riptide on surrounding enemies.
- Plunging Attack: A shower of arrows rains down and deals hydro AOE damage.
- Foul Legacy: Raging Tide (Basic Ability) (Melee Stance)
- Press: Performs up to six consecutive hits with a melee weapon.
- Hold: Consumes stamina to deal hydro damage in a cross slash.
- Riptide Slash: Hitting enemies with the riptide status effect deals hydro AOE damage. Hydro damage dealt in this was is considered elemental skill damage, and can only occur once every 1.5 seconds. This ability can also only be used twice, or within a window of 30 seconds. The longer this stance is used, the longer the cooldown as well.
- Havoc: Obliteration (Ultimate)
- Ranged Stance – Flash of Havoc: Fires a hydro arrow to deal hydro AOE damage and can inflict Riptide.
- Melee Stance – Light of Obliteration: Performs a large AOE slash dealing hydro damage and can cause Riptide Burst.
- Never Ending (Passive 1) – Ascension 1
- Extends Riptide status effect by eight seconds.
- Sword of Torents (Passive 2) – Ascension 4
- While in his melee stance, Tartagalia’s normal and charged attacks to critical damage, and will apply Riptide.
- Master of Weaponry (Passive 3) – Unlocked
- Increases all party members (of your own) attack levels by one.
Tartaglia, as hotheaded as he is, is an excellent DPS character. Like Diluc, he’s nearly impossible to stop when his constellations are high, so you won’t need weapons that make up this difference, just ones that suit his abilities.
Skyward Harp – Critical damage chances are increased by 20 percent at its lowest levels and all hits have at least a 60 percent chance to inflict a small AOE, which deals 100 percent more physical attack damage. This can only happen once ever 4 seconds.
Rust – Normal attack damage is increase by at least 40 percent, but decreases aimed shot damage by eight percent at the base level. This decrease percentage increases as the weapon is ascended.
Tartaglia’s DPS is best highlighted with either a four-piece set of the Wander’s Troupe, or a two-piece by two-piece set of Gladiator’s Finale and Noblesse Oblige. All three will increase his attack, hydro damage and critical rates.
Wanderer’s Troupe – (2) Elemental Mastery increased by 80 points. (4) Charge attack Damage is increased by 35 percent if the character uses a bow or catalyst weapon.
Gladiator’s Finale – (2) Attack increased by 18 percent.
Noblesse Oblige – (2) Elemental burst damage increased by 20 percent.
Tartagila is fit to be your primary DPS thanks to his abilities.
- Top Tier Team
- Main DPS: Tartagila/Childe
- Secondary DPS: Mona
- Healer: Qiqi
- Support: Venti
- Budget Team
- Main DPS: Tartagila/Childe
- Secondary DPS: Fischl
- Healer: Barbara
- Support: Xiangling
- Talent Level-Up Material: Teachings of freedom, Guide to Freedom, Philosophies of Freedom
- Common Ascension Material: Recruit’s Insignia, Sergeant’s Insignia, Lieutnenat’s Insignia
- Weekly Material: Shard of a Foul Legacy
We’re putting the constellation information here at the bottom because it’s incredibly difficult to rank these up in any meaningful way outside of sheer luck. He’s got some powerful ones, but you’ll need to pull him a handful of times before you gain access to the really powerful stuff.
- Level 1 — Foul Legacy: Tide Withholder:
- Decreases cooldown of Foul Legacy: Raging Tide by 20 percent.
- Level 2 — Foul Legacy: Understream
- Produces four elemental energy when enemies inflicted with Riptide are defeated.
- Level 3 — Abyssal Mayhem: Vortex of Turmoil
- Raises the level of Foul Legacy: Raging Tide by three. Max level is 15.
- Level 4 — Abyssal Mayhem: Hydrosprout
- If Tartaglia is in Foul Legacy: Raging Tide’s Melee Stance, triggers Riptide Slash against opponents on the field affected by Riptide every four seconds, otherwise, triggers Riptide Flash. Riptide Slashes and Riptide Flashes triggered by this Constellation effect are not subject to the time intervals that would typically apply to these two Riptide effects, nor do they have any effects on those time intervals.
- Level 5 — Havoc: Formless Blade
- Raises level of Havoc: Obliteration by three. Max level is 15.
- Level 6 — Havoc: Annihilation
- If Havoc: Obliteration is cast in melee form, the cooldown of Foul Legacy: Raging Tide is reset. This will only take effect upon the return to ranged stance.
Here’s what you’ll need to maximize Childe’s level cap.
- 1st Ascension (Max Level 20) – Varunada Lazurite Sliver, 3 Starconch, 3 Recruit’s Insignia
- 2nd Ascension (Max Level 40) – 3 Varunada Lazurite Fragment, 2 Cleansing Heart, 10 Starconch, 15 Recruit’s Insignia
- 3rd Ascension (Max Level 50) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Fragment, 4 Cleansing Heart, 30 Starconch, 12 Sergeant’s Insignia
- 4th Ascension (Max Level 60) – 3 Varunada Lazurite Chunk, 8 Cleansing Heart, 30 Starconch, 18 Sergeant’s Insignia
- 5th Ascension (Max Level 70) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Chunk, 12 Cleansing Heart, 45 Starconch, 12 Lieutenant’s Insignia
- 6th Ascension (Max Level 80) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Gemstone, 20 Cleansing Heart, 60 Starconch, 24 Lieutenant’s Insignia