If you’ve played Genshin Impact enough, you’re likely aware that Barbara is given away for free at Adventure Rank 20 as long as you created your account before the launch of update 1.1 (which isn’t out yet). That’s great news because she’s a very good healer, especially if you give her a good build. Today we’re going to run down Barbara’s abilities and recommend what we think is the best build, best artifacts, best team composition, and more!
More Genshin Impact:
- Genshin Impact Battle Pass Guide – Rewards, Unlock, Quests, Bounties
- How to Get More Wishes in Genshin Impact
- Genshin Impact Code Guide – Redeem for Free Wishes, Primogems, & More
First of all, lets explain her abilities for folks who are unfamiliar. Whisper of Water, her basic attacks, are simple in that they all deal Hydro DMG, priming them for detonations on other characters. Shining Miracle, her ultimate, is a simple healing spell which gives health to all characters in your party, scaling off of her maximum HP.
The rest of her abilities revolve around her unique Melody Loop buff which is provided by casting Let the Show Begin. When cast, Barbara and any other character you switch to, gains an aura of music which makes enemies Wet and deals Hydro damage.
If you’re still on Barbara, this also causes her attacks to heal the entire party with the charge attack doing quadruple the normal amount. Regardless of who you’re playing as, that character will passively regenerate HP for the duration and make them Wet. They’ll also have their stamina consumption reduced by 12 percent due to Glorious Season, useful for charged attacks or just climbing cliffs! Though it’ll take you a while to get there, once Encore is unlocked, you’ll even be able to extend the duration of the buff for up to five more seconds.
- Whisper of Water (Basic Attack)
- Normal Attack: Perform up to 4 water splash attacks that deal Hydro DMG.
- Charged Attack: Consumes a certain amount of Stamina to deal AOE Hydro DMG after a short casting time.
- Plunging Attack: Gathering the might of Hydro, Barbara plunges towards the ground from mid-air, damaging all enemies in her path. Deals AOE Hydro DMG upon impact with the ground.
- Let the Show Begin (Basic Ability)
- Summons water droplets resembling musical notes that form a Melody Loop, dealing Hydro DMG to surrounding enemies and afflicting them with the Wet status.
- Melody Loop:
- Barbara’s Normal Attacks heal your characters in the party and nearby allied characters for a certain amount of HP, which scales with Barbara’s Max HP.
- Her Charged Attack generates 4 times the amount of healing.
- Regenerates a certain amount of HP at regular intervals for your active character.
- Applies the Wet status to the character and enemies who come in contact with them.
- Shining Miracle (Ultimate)
- Heals nearby allied characters and your characters in the party for a large amount of HP that scales with Barbara’s Max HP.
- Glorious Season (Passive 1) – Ascension 1
- The Stamina Consumption of characters within Let the Show Begin’s Melody Loop is reduced by 12%.
- Encore (Passive 2) – Ascension 4
- When your active character gains an Elemental Orb/Particle, the duration of Let the Show Begin’s Melody Loop is extended by 1s. The maximum extension is 5s.
- With My Whole Heart (Passive 3) – Unlocked
- When a Perfect Cooking is achieved on a dish with restorative effects, there is a 12% chance to obtain double the product.
Barbara is a healer through and through which means there aren’t a ton of different ways to build her. You’ll just be determining how you want to do your healing.
What weapon you choose ultimately depends on how you like to use her as a support. Do you just swap over, cast her spells, and then go right back to your DPS characters? Go for Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers. But if you’re more likely to stick around on Barbara, long enough to get off some elemental bursts, then Prototype Malice might be for you.
Thrilling Tales of Dragon Slayers – When switching characters, the new character taking the field has their ATK increased by 23/30/36/42/48 percent for ten seconds. This effect can only occur once every 20 seconds.
Prototype Malice – Using an Elemental Burst regenerates 4/4.5/5/5.5/6 Energy every two seconds for six seconds. Additionally, all party members will regenerate 4/4.5/5/5.5/6 percent HP every two seconds for the duration.
If you’re going to use Prototype Malice, we highly recommend using four artifacts from The Exile set. With it, all detonations will restore six energy for everyone in your party. That’s 24 energy in total! If not, you can split your points between The Exile and Scholar to get +40 percent energy recharge speed.
The Exile – (2) Energy Recharge +20%. (4) Using an Elemental Burst regenerates 2 Energy for other party members every two seconds for six seconds. This effect cannot stack.
The Scholar – (2) Energy Recharge +20%.
As a top tier support, Barbara fits into just about any team! Just grab two DPS characters and a support and you can get rolling!
- Top Tier Team
- Main DPS: Diluc
- Secondary DPS: Keqing
- Healer: Barbara
- Support: Venti
- Budget Team
- Main DPS: Xiangling
- Secondary DPS: Noelle
- Healer: Barbara
- Support: Kaeya
- Talent Level-Up Material: Teachings/Guide/Philosophies of Freedom
- Common Ascension Material: Divining/Sealed/Forbidden Curse Scroll
We’re putting the constellation information here at the bottom because it’s incredibly difficult to rank these up in any meaningful way outside of sheer luck. The good news is get her for free once you reach Adventure Rank 20!
There are some nice perks in here at the lower levels which help her generate elemental energy, but it’s her final perk that is extraordinarily powerful, providing an instant revive and full heal every 15 minutes! Too bad there’s no feasible way of grinding for it.
- Level 1 – Gleeful Songs: Barbara regenerates 1 Energy every 10 seconds.
- Level 2 – Vitality Burst: Decreases the CD of Let the Show Begin by 15%. During the ability’s duration, your active character gains 15% Hydro DMG Bonus.
- Level 3 – Star of Tomorrow: Increases the level of Shining Miracle by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 4 – Attentiveness be My Power: Every enemy Barbara hits with her Charged Attack regenerates 1 Energy for her. A maximum of 5 energy can be regenerated in this manner with any one Charged Attack.
- Level 5 – The Purest Companionship: Increases the level of Shining Miracle by 3. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 6 – Dedicating Everything to You: When Barbara is not on the field, and one of your characters in the party falls:
- Automatically revives this character.
- Fully regenerates this character’s HP to 100%.
- This effect can only occur once every 15 minutes.
Here’s what you’ll need to maximize Barbara’s level cap.
- 1st Ascension (Max Level 20) – 1 Varunada Lazurite Sliver, 3 Philanemo Mushrooms, 3 Divining Scrolls
- 2nd Ascension (Max Level 40) – 3 Varunada Lazurite Fragments, 2 Cleansing Hearts, 10 Philanemo Mushrooms, 15 Divining Scrolls
- 3rd Ascension (Max Level 50) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Fragments, 4 Cleansing Hearts, 20 JPhilanemo Mushrooms, 12 Sealed Scrolls
- 4th Ascension (Max Level 60) – 3 Varunada Lazurite Chunks, 8 Cleansing Hearts, 30 Philanemo Mushrooms, 18 Sealed Scrolls
- 5th Ascension (Max Level 70) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Chunks, 12 Cleansing Hearts, 45 Philanemo Mushrooms, 12 Forbidden Curse Scrolls
- 6th Ascension (Max Level 80) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Gemstones, 20 Cleansing Hearts, 60 Philanemo Mushrooms, 24 Forbidden Curse Scrolls
And that’s it! Is there anything we missed? Let us know in the comments below!