With Bungie condensing Gambit and Gambit Prime into a single game mode, the meta has become one. This means there’s no more need to adjust your Destiny 2 builds and weapons if you’re playing the more difficult prime version. It also means we can just have one meta post without having to explain why weapons do better in one game mode over the other. Long story, short, we’re back! Here’s a look at the best Gambit weapons now that Beyond Light is out!
You May Also Like:
- The Best PVE Weapons in Destiny 2 (November 2020 Beyond Light Meta)
- The Best Crucible Weapons in Destiny 2 (November 2020 Beyond Light Meta)
- Destiny 2 Perdition Guide – How to Beat this Legendary Lost Sector
Our picks are based off a combination of a few different sources. Our largest source is the Charlemagne Discord bot, which reports the current meta. Among other things, the bot tracks weapon popularity for each game mode. This is super useful to get our baseline information. We also use general community consensus from the Destiny subreddit and our own experiences playing Gambit and Gambit Prime.
Guide last updated on November 20, 2020. Rankings are currently provisional. It’s only been a week since launch so things are almost assuredly skewed by people ranking up their power.
As it stands we’ve removed a lot of weapons, but over the next month or so we’ll be building out the list of viable weapons to choose from.
Best Gambit Kinetic Weapons
No Time to Explain > Stars in Shadow > Hailing Confusion (Pulse Rifle)
Pulse Rifles are just about as healthy as they’ve ever been and No Time to Explain certainly leads the way here. The extra rounds down range are incredibly helpful as long as you’re not trying to grind bounties which require precision kills. Whoops. If you’d rather not use up your exotic slot, then you’d better get grinding for Stars in Shadow. Just know that you’ll need to jump into Crucible to earn it.
Monte Carlo (Auto Rifle)
With the addition of Stasis melees, Monte Carlo has made the jump up into our rankings. Combined with new fragments and aspects, you can successfully create a build that revolves around freezing your foes and shattering them with Monte Carlo.
Escape Velocity (SMG)
Escape Velocity is likely on this list temporarily. The only reason it’s been so popular since the launch of Beyond Light is due to the lack of other obtainable (and good) SMGs. With an upcoming patch set to reintroduce Seraph and Warmind weapons, you’ll likely have more options soon.
Dire Promise > Malfeasance > True Prophecy (Hand Cannon)
There’s not a ton for me to add in regards to hand cannons. They’re just as good as they’ve ever been on PC. The main difference is the loot pool. While it has shrunk, in comparison to other weapon archetypes, it’s one of the deepest.
Night Watch (Scout Rifle)
Night Watch is easily obtainable and remains one of the best scout rifles to choose from if you’re a fan.
Best Gambit Energy Weapons
Gnawing Hunger (Auto Rifle)
There’s no denying it, especially with a significantly smaller viable weapon pool, Gnawing Hunger is one of the best available energy weapons out there. Hopefully you have one, because this can’t be obtained any longer.
IKELOS SMG > Riskrunner > Death Adderr(SMG)
As above, so below. The IKELOS SMG is one of the best SMGs available and it’s one of the few which can still utilize the Warmind Cells mechanic from the past. If you don’t have it, or Death Adder, Riskrunner is your best bet until the loot pool is updated.
Adored (Sniper Rifle)
With weapon sunsetting, Bungie made this season’s ritual weapon Adored, a sniper that both looks and feels like Beloved. With Beloved power capped, Adored is the obvious choice.
Xenoclast IV > Bonechiller (Shotgun)
Xenoclast IV is honestly one of the better shotguns in terms of gameplay feel. You’ll need to grind some strikes until it drops, but once it does, give it a shot! Otherwise, continue playing the Beyond Light quests until you get Bonechiller.
Truthteller (Grenade Launcher)
Again, the list of viable non-power grenade launchers is incredibly small right now. Truthteller was already one of the better options out there and right now it’s the only one you can get until you unlock Hunt for the Wrathborn.
Trinity Ghoul (Bow)
Trinity Ghoul is, no joke, one of the best weapons in Gambit if you’re using an arc subclass. If you don’t have the catalyst, throw a grenade at your feet (it won’t damage you) and get shooting. If you do, just get a precision kill and you’re good to wipe out an entire wave of weak enemies.
Jotunn (Fusion Rifle)
The biggest problem with Fusion Rifles is their accuracy. So it should be of no surprise that Jotunn, a weapon with tracking projectiles, is both powerful and popular.
Best Gambit Power Weapons
Falling Guillotine > Honor’s Edge > Steel Sybil Z-14 (Sword)
Even with the most recent nerf, Falling Guillotine is still a few percentage points better than the next available sword. Use it if you have it! If you don’t, try to get good rolls on Steel Sybil or Honor’s Edge.
Xenophage > Thermal Erosion (Machine Gun)
And here’s Xenopage, unique in its ability to DPS bosses. If you’ve never played Destiny before Beyond Light, Thermal Erosion is currently the only available Legendary machine gun available. Want more info on that? We have a god roll guide which also explains how to obtain it.
Anarchy > Salvation’s Grip > Crowd Pleaser > Interference VI (Grenade Launcher)
Oh, did you think there would be a ton of changes here? Nope! The Scourge of the Past raid exotic, Anarchy is a supremely unique and potent weapon. Capable of denying entire areas, this grenade launcher is the king of dealing passive damage. At the very least, the new exotic Salvation’s Grip has made the list. If you don’t have those, there are some generic grenade launchers you can chase too.
November 2020 (Beyond Light Update 1)
- Kinetic – Added No Time to Explain, Escape Velocity, Dire Promise, Hailing Confusion, Night Watch, and Stars in Shadow. Removed Mountaintop, Sweet Business, Steelfeather Repeater, Exit Strategy, Perfect Paradox, Randy’s Throwing Knife, Breachlight, Spare Rations, Breakneck, The Huckleberry, and SUROS Regime.
- Energy – Added Gnawing Hunger, IKELOS SMG, Adored, Xenoclast IV, Truthteller, Trinity Ghoul, and Bonechiller. Removed The Recluse, Sunshot, Hard Light, Seventh Seraph VY-7, Telesto, Tommy’s Matchbook, The Summoner, and Prometheus Lens.
- Heavy – Added Falling Guillotine, Crowd Pleaser, Salvation’s Grip, Anarchy, Interference VI, and Thermal Erosion. Removed Hammerhead, Heir Apparent, 21% Delirium, Truth, Wendigo GL3, and Black Talon.
- Kinetic – Added Malfeasance.
- Energy – Added Tommy’s Matchbook. Removed Loaded Question.
- Heavy – Added Heir Apparent, Honor’s Edge, Steel Sybil Z-14, and Bad Omens. Removed Night Terror, Worldline Zero, and Thunderlord.
- Kinetic – Added Breakneck, The Huckleberry, Exit Strategy, SUROS Regime.
- Energy – Added The Summoner, Seventh Seraph VY-7, Prometheus Lens, Sunshot. Removed Tommy’s Matchbook.
- Power – Added Worldline Zero, Black Talon, Interference VI, Night Terror.
- Kinetic – Added Spare Rations, Breachlight, SUROS Regime. Removed Dust Rock Blues, No Turning Back, Bygones.
- Energy – Added Tommy’s Matchbook, Hard Light, Loaded Question, Telesto. Removed Subtle Calamity, Symmetry, Lord of Wolves, IKELOS SG, Mindbender’s Ambition.
- Power – Added Wendigo GL3. Removed Pyroclastic Flow, Zenobia-D, Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Monte Carlo, The Mountaintop, Breakneck. Removed Parcel of Stardust, Cold Front.
- Energy – Removed Last Man Standing.
- Power – Removed Avalanche.
- Kinetic – Added No Turning Back, Bygones, Cold Front, Dust Rock Blues. Removed Threat Level, One Small Step, Exit Strategy, The Mountaintop.
- Energy – Added Python, Jotunn. Removed Prophet of Doom, Wishbringer.
- Power – Added Avalanche, Pyroclastic Flow, Zenobia-D. Removed Edgewise, Legend of Acrius, Wendigo GL3.
December 2019 (Season of Dawn Update)
- Kinetic – Added Wish-Ender, Perfect Paradox, Steelfeather Repeater, Threat Level, Parcel of Stardust, One Small Step, Randy’s Throwing Knife. Removed Braytech Werewolf, Breakneck, Monte Carlo, SUROS Regime, Huckleberry, Ace of Spades, Malfeasance.
- Energy – Added Added Lord of Wolves, Symmetry, IKELOS SG, Last Man Standing, Prophet of Doom, Mindbender’s Ambition, Wishbringer. Removed Bug-Out Bag, Subjunctive, Eriana’s Vow, Sunshot, Misfit, Arsenic Bite, Jotunn, Loaded Question.
- Power – Added Tractor Cannon, Xenophage, Legend of Acrius, Edgewise. Removed Leviathan’s Bow, Zenobia-D, Edge Transit, Through Fire and Flood.
- Kinetic – Added Braytech Werewolf, Exit Strategy, SUROS Regime, Malfeasance. Removed Pillager, Bygones, Hazard of the Cast, Cerberus+1.
- Energy – Added Subtle Calamity, Bug-Out Bag, Sunshot. Removed Arc Logic.
- Power – Added Levithan’s Breath, Wendigo GL3, Through Fire and Flood. Removed A Fine Memorial, Deathbringer.
- Kinetic – Added Go Figure, Sweet Business, Hazard of the Cast, Monte Carlo, Pillager, Cerberus+1. Removed Blast Furnace, Outbreak Perfected, Spare Rations, Malfeasance, Austringer.
- Energy – Added Eriana’s Vow, Subjunctive, Arc Logic. Removed Telesto, Le Monarque, Ikelos.
- Power – Added Deathbringer, Zenobia-D, A Fine Memorial, Edge Transit. Removed Fixed Odds, One Thousand Voices, Outrageous Fortune, Swarm of the Raven, Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Spare Rations, Malfeasance. Removed Go Figure, Bad Juju.
- Energy – Added IKELOS, Misfit. Removed CALUS Mini-Tool, Sunshot.
- Power – Added Bad Omens. Removed Bane of Sorrow.
- Kinetic – Added The Mountaintop and Go Figure. Removed Malfaesance and Lumina.
- Energy – Added Riskrunner, CALUS Mini-Tool, Sunshot, and Telesto. Removed Trinity Ghoul and IKELOS Shotgun.
- Power – Added Tractor Cannon, Outrageous Fortune, and Swarm of the Raven. Removed Bad Omens, Zenobia-D, and Wendigo GL3.
- Kinetic – Added Lumina, Bad Juju, and Malfeasance. Removed Wish-Ender, Spiteful Fang, Go Figure, The Mountaintop, Threat Level, and No Turning Back.
- Energy – Added Loaded Question, CALUS Mini-Tool, and Beloved. Removed Telesto, Riskrunner, and The Vow.
- Power – Added Fixed Odds and Wendigo GL3. Removed Outrageous Fortune, Edge Transit, and Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Wish Ender, The Spiteful Fang, The Mountaintop, and Threat Level. Removed Thorn, Malfeasance, Midnight Coup, and The Huckleberry.
- Energy – Added Le Monarque, Subtle Calamity, Arsenic Bite-4b, Trinity Ghoul, and The Vow. Removed Lord of Wolves, Misfit, Prometheus Lens, Trust, and Last Man Standing.
- Power – Added Bane of Sorrow and Edge Transit. Removed Avalanche and Play of the Game.
- Kinetic – Added Outbreak Perfected. Removed Arbalest.
- Energy – Removed The Ringing Nail, Kindled Orchid. Added Trust and Last Man Standing.
- Power – Removed The Wardcliff Coil. Added Play of the Game.
- Kinetic – Added Arbalest. Removed Threat Level.
- Energy –Added Kindled Orchid and The Recluse. Removed Badlander.
- Power – Added Outrageous Fortune.
And that’s that four our guide to the best Gambit weapons in Destiny 2! Thanks for taking the time to check it out. We wish all of you trigger happy Guardians out there the best of luck with those motes of light.