There are so many weapons in Destiny 2, Exotic or otherwise, that it can be really hard to know which weapons are best suited for PvE, Crucible, or Gambit. You’ve got a personal vault full of weapons, sure, but which ones should you actually be using? While it’s possible to just hop into Gambit and see what your teammates are using or what the invaders are killing you with, that’s not really a fun way to figure out what’s what. That’s why we’re here sharing the best Gambit weapons in the current meta so you can work out your loadout before diving into the game mode.
We’ll be listing at least ten options, while putting a spotlight on five of them, discussing why they’re so good to use. Keep in mind that you may need to do some adjusting depending on which weapons you don’t have and which slot you choose to outfit with an Exotic.
You May Also Like:
- The Best Crucible Weapons in Destiny 2 (November 2019 Meta)
- The Best PvE Weapons in Destiny 2 (November 2019 Meta)
- Here’s How to Power Level an Alt to 950 in Destiny 2
Our picks are based off a combination of a few different sources. Our largest source is the Charlemagne Discord bot, which reports the current meta. Among other things, the bot tracks weapon popularity for each game mode. This is super useful to get our baseline information. We also use general community consensus from the Destiny subreddit and our own experiences playing Gambit and Gambit Prime.
This list was last updated on November 5, 2019.
Best Gambit Weapons – Kinetic
Braytech Werewolf / Sweet Business / Breakneck / Monte Carlo / SUROS Regime (Auto Rifle)
Hello auto rifles! Braytech Werewolf currently tops the charts likely do to a combination of factors. For one, it’s a guarenteed 950 Power drop from the Festival of the Lost. Nearly everyone has it. In addition, it comes as a masterworked, curated drop. With all the New Light players, it’s undoubtedly popular.
If you choose to ignore that, however, Sweet Business reigns supreme. There are a handful of other auto rifles that makes this list though they’re not as good.
Breakneck is an auto rifle pinnacle weapon from Season of the Forge. Therefore it comes as no surprise that it’s the best Kinetic Auto Rifle by far in Gambit. The usual Rampage perk that provides extra damage after a kill flourishes with the exclusive Onslaught perk that increases the rate of fire with each Rampage stack.
If you still have the quest, here’s a reminder as to what the quest steps are:
- Get 500 Auto Rifle kills in Gambit
- Get 100 Auto Rifle multi-kills in Gambit
- Defeat 150 challenging enemies in Gambit
- Complete 40 Gambit matches
On the exotic front, Monte Carlo and SUROS Regime are good alternatives.
The Huckleberry / Exit Strategy (SMG)
For those of us without Recluse, who want a primary submachine gun, Huckleberry is the go-to weapon. Note that there’s also the option of Riskrunner in the energy slot if there’s another primary weapon you want to run. The reason Huckleberry is so good is its exotic perk which causes the rate of fire and recoil to increase as you hold the trigger. Any kills during that period reload some of the magazine, allowing you to rack up the kills with infrequent reloads. With the catalyst, however, the entire magazine is reloaded. That’s when this weapon truly shines.
If you’ve managed to complete this season’s Gambit Ritual Weapon quest, Exit Strategy is also a good option.
The Mountaintop (Grenade Launcher)
With the domination of The Recluse in the energy slot, the most experienced players have turned to The Mountaintop, another pinnacle weapon, in their primary slot. With Mountaintop you’ll have good boss DPS while using Recluse for close combat and a machine gun as wave clear.
Ace of Spades / Malfeasance (Hand Cannon)
If you’re looking for a primary slot Hand Cannon, Ace of Spades is where it’s at. The gun provides some additional range and the extra damage bullets can really help with yellow health bar enemies.
Malfeasance is another option if you’ve unlocked it.
Best Gambit Weapons – Energy
The Recluse / Riskrunner / Bug-Out Bag / Subjunctive (SMG)
SMGs continue to be the meta choice for the energy slot.
The Recluse is so powerful because it can rapidly eliminate adds. Kill an opponent with any weapon and the SMG will get a damage boost. Kills with The Recluse itself will increase reload speed for a short time. It is the best weapon in the game. Of course, getting it requires being very good at Crucible as it’s one of the Season of the Drifter Pinnacle weapons.
If you can’t get The Recluse, then Riskrunner is a viable alternative. It’s especially powerful if you find yourself fighting enemies that cause arc damage.
Subjunctive is the easiest to get and a great alternative though Bug-Out Bag seems preferable.
Eriana’s Vow / Sunshot (Hand Cannon)
One thing Gambit is full of? Elemental shields. Naturally, Eriana’s Vow is proving popular. Especially since all Season Pass owners get it right out of the gate.
Misfit (Auto Rifle)
I can’t say that I understand folks who like Misfit, it fires too fast and is a bit too inaccurate for my likes, but hey, it is the most popular Auto Rifle.
Subtle Calamity / Arsenic Bite-4b (Bow)
Bows have fallen off now that the season has ended. Those of us still grinding for last season’s pinnacle weapon are primarily using Subtle Calamity and Arsenic Bite.
Jotunn / Loaded Question (Fusion Rifle)
Jotunn is a unique Fusion Rifle that you can get from Ada-1. The reason it’s so good? If you charge it long enough, its shots track opponents before exploding and applying burn damage.
If you’ve been playing long enough, you might have the Loaded Question fusion rifle. It’s a Vanguard pinnacle weapon that deals bonus damage when its magazine is full.
Best Gambit Weapons – Power
Hammerhead / Thunderlord / 21% Delirium (Machine Gun)
Destiny 2 machine guns reign supreme when it comes to basic PVE encounters. No other power weapon can deal such large amounts of damage to such a high number of enemies in such a short amount of time. Just make sure you’re not using them against bosses during DPS phases. Bungie nerfed their effectiveness against bosses a few patches ago.
Hammerhead is so dominant because it has two major purposes: add clear and invasions. On PC, the machine gun has practically zero recoil, making it excellent at getting headshots at range.
Leviathan’s Breath (Bow)
Tricked ya! With the introduction of the first ever Exotic Bow, there are a good number of players making Leviathan’s Breath work!
Truth / Bad Omens / Zenobia-D (Rocket Launcher)
The other major category of power weapons at the moment are rocket launchers. Surprisingly, outside of the Truth exotic, the Legendary duo of Bad Omens and Zenobia-D are also very popular. That’s true even at higher levels of play.
Edge Transit / Wendigo GL3 / Through Fire and Flood (Rocket Launcher)
We know some of you may be grenade launcher faithful. All three of these rank at the bottom of the top ten, but they’re solid additions to your loadout.
- Kinetic – Added Braytech Werewolf, Exit Strategy, SUROS Regime, Malfeasance. Removed Pillager, Bygones, Hazard of the Cast, Cerberus+1.
- Energy – Added Subtle Calamity, Bug-Out Bag, Sunshot. Removed Arc Logic.
- Power – Added Levithan’s Breath, Wendigo GL3, Through Fire and Flood. Removed A Fine Memorial, Deathbringer.
- Kinetic – Added Go Figure, Sweet Business, Hazard of the Cast, Monte Carlo, Pillager, Cerberus+1. Removed Blast Furnace, Outbreak Perfected, Spare Rations, Malfeasance, Austringer.
- Energy – Added Eriana’s Vow, Subjunctive, Arc Logic. Removed Telesto, Le Monarque, Ikelos.
- Power – Added Deathbringer, Zenobia-D, A Fine Memorial, Edge Transit. Removed Fixed Odds, One Thousand Voices, Outrageous Fortune, Swarm of the Raven, Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Spare Rations, Malfeasance. Removed Go Figure, Bad Juju.
- Energy – Added IKELOS, Misfit. Removed CALUS Mini-Tool, Sunshot.
- Power – Added Bad Omens. Removed Bane of Sorrow.
- Kinetic – Added The Mountaintop and Go Figure. Removed Malfaesance and Lumina.
- Energy – Added Riskrunner, CALUS Mini-Tool, Sunshot, and Telesto. Removed Trinity Ghoul and IKELOS Shotgun.
- Power – Added Tractor Cannon, Outrageous Fortune, and Swarm of the Raven. Removed Bad Omens, Zenobia-D, and Wendigo GL3.
- Kinetic – Added Lumina, Bad Juju, and Malfeasance. Removed Wish-Ender, Spiteful Fang, Go Figure, The Mountaintop, Threat Level, and No Turning Back.
- Energy – Added Loaded Question, CALUS Mini-Tool, and Beloved. Removed Telesto, Riskrunner, and The Vow.
- Power – Added Fixed Odds and Wendigo GL3. Removed Outrageous Fortune, Edge Transit, and Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Wish Ender, The Spiteful Fang, The Mountaintop, and Threat Level. Removed Thorn, Malfeasance, Midnight Coup, and The Huckleberry.
- Energy – Added Le Monarque, Subtle Calamity, Arsenic Bite-4b, Trinity Ghoul, and The Vow. Removed Lord of Wolves, Misfit, Prometheus Lens, Trust, and Last Man Standing.
- Power – Added Bane of Sorrow and Edge Transit. Removed Avalanche and Play of the Game.
- Kinetic – Added Outbreak Perfected. Removed Arbalest.
- Energy – Removed The Ringing Nail, Kindled Orchid. Added Trust and Last Man Standing.
- Power – Removed The Wardcliff Coil. Added Play of the Game.
- Kinetic – Added Arbalest. Removed Threat Level.
- Energy –Added Kindled Orchid and The Recluse. Removed Badlander.
- Power – Added Outrageous Fortune.
And that’s that four our guide to the best Gambit weapons in Destiny 2! Thanks for taking the time to check it out. We wish all of you trigger happy Guardians out there the best of luck with those motes of light.