With Bungie condensing Gambit and Gambit Prime into a single game mode, the meta has become one. This means there’s no more need to adjust your Destiny 2 builds and weapons if you’re playing the more difficult prime version. It also means we can just have one meta post without having to explain why weapons do better in one game mode over the other. Long story, short, we’re back! Here’s a look at the best Gambit weapons now that Beyond Light is out!
You May Also Like:
- Destiny 2 Palindrome Guide – How to Get It & the God Roll
- Destiny 2 Voice on the Other Side Quest Guide – Dead Man’s Tale Unlock
- Destiny 2 Bottom Dollar Guide – How to Get Bottom Dollar
Our picks are based off a combination of a few different sources. Our largest source is the Charlemagne Discord bot, which reports the current meta. Among other things, the bot tracks weapon popularity for each game mode. This is super useful to get our baseline information. We also use general community consensus from the Destiny subreddit and our own experiences playing Gambit.
Guide last updated on March 30, 2021.
Best Gambit Kinetic Weapons
Witherhoard (Grenade Launcher)
Out of all few Kinetic grenade launchers, Witherhoard will likely remain the best. Between its ability to deal direct damage and control chokepoints and such, it’s a super good tool for players to have.
Extraordinary Rendition / The Huckleberry (SMG)
Extraordinary Rendition feels like an extraordinary submachine gun to be honest. It’s one of the most popular releases in Season of the Chosen and rightly so! It’s accurate, packs a decent punch, and feels so very good to shoot. Those three things alone make it one of the best options available. Though some have complained about the Overload Submachine Gun mod being lackluster, it does help give the weapon archetype a boost.
The only Kinetic shotgun on our list, Heritage is from the Deep Stone Crypt raid and made some waves. Given the potency of slug shotguns against bosses, Heritage is a perfect choice for those who want a nice close range option. Plus it can roll with Thresh, allowing us to gain Super energy after each kill, which is always welcomed.
Dead Man’s Tale / Night Watch (Scout Rifle)
Since the last time we updated this guide, Dead Man’s Tale has come to be one of the most popular exotics out there. It’s just so satisfying to shoot and with the right random roll, it can handle every add from range.
Seventh Seraph Carbine / False Promises / Sweet Business (Auto Rifle)
When it comes to auto rifles, Seventh Seraph Carbine is likely the most popular in the Kinetic slot. Heck, all of the Seventh Seraph weapons are meta right now due to the dominance of Warmind Cell builds going around. If you’re going to use something else, Sweet Business is spiking in popularity once again too.
Thorn (Hand Cannon)
For Warlocks, we recommend pairing Thorn with Necrotic Grips for super good add clear. You’ll tear through weaker waves of enemies with just a few shots!
Best Gambit Energy Weapons
Salvager’s Salvo / Deafening Whisper / Truthteller (Grenade Launcher)
I can’t count the number of times Guides Writer Collin MacGregor has told the Destiny players at Fanbyte how badly they need to unlock Salvager’s Salvo. The perks on this thing are wild. It’s got Firefly so every enemy it kills also explodes. If you want boss DPS it has Vorpal Weapon, Demolitionist if you’re running a grenade build, and Ambitious Assassin for two shots in the chamber. The flexibility this thing offers is wild!
Either way, energy weapon grenade launchers are in right now which means Deafening Whisper and Truthteller are also super popular.
IKELOS SMG / Riskrunner (SMG)
The IKELOS SMG remains one of the best SMGs available and it’s one of the few which can still utilize the Warmind Cells mechanic from the past. Your SMG choices are basically Extraordinary Rendition/The Huckleberry in the primary slot or IKELOS/Riskrunner in the energy slot.
Ticuu’s Divination / Trinity Ghoul (Bow)
Ticuu’s Divination is in a really interesting position. Is it overpowered? Probably not. It can, however, hit targets without really aiming and that’s incredibly useful for guardians who may not be the best at keeping their sights trained at targets. Plus it can hit more than one opponent at a time. It’s super useful as a support weapon and really annoying to play against.
Trinity Ghoul is, no joke, one of the best weapons in Gambit if you’re using an arc subclass. If you don’t have the catalyst, throw a grenade at your feet (it won’t damage you) and get shooting. If you do, just get a precision kill and you’re good to wipe out an entire wave of weak enemies.
Gnawing Hunger (Auto Rifle)
There’s no denying it, especially with a significantly smaller auto rifle weapon pool, Gnawing Hunger is one of the best available energy weapons out there. It’s a devastatingly potent weapon that tears apart enemies in PVE and PVP. There are other auto rifles, but they all suffer from the problem of not being either in the 400 RPM archetype or being Gnawing Hunger.
Igneous Hammer / Bottom Dollar (Hand Cannon)
I don’t even know where to start with Igneous Hammer. This thing is basically a sniper rifle capable of three tapping folks from across the map. The wild thing is that’s true regardless of what kind of roll you get. A godroll Adept version can just destroy absolutely everyone.
Bottom Dollar drops exclusively from Gambit, but the drop rate is so incredibly low that you may not have one just yet. The rarity is particularly painful because the number of perks this hand cannon has in its pool is higher than normal. The combinations are plenty and can be particularly powerful, but getting a specific roll is nigh impossible at the moment. Hopefully the one you manage to get isn’t abysmal!
Cloudstrike (Sniper Rifle)
Cloudstrike has the benefits of calling in a lighting storm upon multiple, rapid precision hits which can do a lot of damage to bigger bosses and help you clear waves of enemies.
Jotunn (Fusion Rifle)
The biggest problem with Fusion Rifles is their accuracy. So it should be of no surprise that Jotunn, a weapon with tracking projectiles, is both powerful and popular.
Best Gambit Power Weapons
Falling Guillotine / The Lament (Sword)
Even with the most recent nerf, Falling Guillotine is still a few percentage points better than the next available sword. Use it if you have it! If you don’t, try to get good rolls on Steel Sybil or Honor’s Edge.
Eyes of Tomorrow / Code Duello / Truth (Rocket Launcher)
For the longest time, Truth was the de-facto Gambit weapon. Because it was capable of locking onto enemies from a long range, you could invade and safely shoot rockets at your foes. Eyes of Tomorrow is similar, except it can lock onto multiple enemies at once. If you invade and the enemy team is near each other at all, they’re as good as dead.
Bungie has also added new perks to Rocket Launchers and Lasting Impression finally helps them reach new heights. With it on Code Duello, your rockets no longer explode on impact, but instead stick and charge up. After a short delay they explode with a larger blast radius and for more damage. This is great for dealing with Elite foes!
Xenophage / Seventh Seraph SAW / Commemoration (Machine Gun)
And here’s Xenopage, unique in its ability to DPS bosses and eliminate opposing guardians. Seventh Seraph SAW’s slow rate of fire is crucial when it comes to at range eliminations while Commemoration is also a popular choice for those who have ran the new raid.
Anarchy (Grenade Launcher)
The Scourge of the Past raid exotic, Anarchy is a supremely unique and potent weapon. Capable of denying entire areas, this grenade launcher is also the king of dealing passive damage to a single target. With the rise of energy grenade launchers, the rest of the grenade launcher power weapons have fallen off of our list.
- Kinetic – Added Dead Man’s Tale. Removed No Time to Explain.
- Energy – Added Bottom Dollar and Igneous Hammer. Removed Fighting Lion.
- Heavy – No changes.
- Kinetic – Added Extraordinary Rendition, The Huckleberry, Sweet Business, and Thorn. Removed Hailing Confusion, Cold Denial, Monte Carlo, Dire Promise, Malfeasance, and True Prophecy.
- Energy – Added Ticuu’s Divination, Salvager’s Salvo, and Fighting Lion. Removed Death Adder, Adored, Beloved, Xenoclast IV, Bonechiller, Seventh Seraph CQC, and Stars in Shadow.
- Heavy – Added Code Duello, Eyes of Tomorrow, and Truth. Removed Honor’s Edge, Steel Sybil Z-14, Thermal Erosion, Salvation’s Grip, Crowd Pleaser, and Interference VI.
- Kinetic – Added False Promises and Sweet Business. Removed Escape Velocity.
- Energy – Added Seventh Seraph CQC.
- Heavy – No changes.
December 2020 (Beyond Light Update 2)
- Kinetic – Added Seventh Seraph Carbine, Witherhoard, Cold Denial, Heritage, and SUROS Regime.
- Energy – Added Seventh Seraph VY-7, Cloudstrike, and Beloved.
- Heavy – Added The Lament, Seventh Seraph SAW, Commemoration, and Temptation’s Hook.
November 2020 (Beyond Light Update 1)
- Kinetic – Added No Time to Explain, Escape Velocity, Dire Promise, Hailing Confusion, Night Watch, and Stars in Shadow. Removed Mountaintop, Sweet Business, Steelfeather Repeater, Exit Strategy, Perfect Paradox, Randy’s Throwing Knife, Breachlight, Spare Rations, Breakneck, The Huckleberry, and SUROS Regime.
- Energy – Added Gnawing Hunger, IKELOS SMG, Adored, Xenoclast IV, Truthteller, Trinity Ghoul, and Bonechiller. Removed The Recluse, Sunshot, Hard Light, Seventh Seraph VY-7, Telesto, Tommy’s Matchbook, The Summoner, and Prometheus Lens.
- Heavy – Added Falling Guillotine, Crowd Pleaser, Salvation’s Grip, Anarchy, Interference VI, and Thermal Erosion. Removed Hammerhead, Heir Apparent, 21% Delirium, Truth, Wendigo GL3, and Black Talon.
- Kinetic – Added Malfeasance.
- Energy – Added Tommy’s Matchbook. Removed Loaded Question.
- Heavy – Added Heir Apparent, Honor’s Edge, Steel Sybil Z-14, and Bad Omens. Removed Night Terror, Worldline Zero, and Thunderlord.
- Kinetic – Added Breakneck, The Huckleberry, Exit Strategy, SUROS Regime.
- Energy – Added The Summoner, Seventh Seraph VY-7, Prometheus Lens, Sunshot. Removed Tommy’s Matchbook.
- Power – Added Worldline Zero, Black Talon, Interference VI, Night Terror.
- Kinetic – Added Spare Rations, Breachlight, SUROS Regime. Removed Dust Rock Blues, No Turning Back, Bygones.
- Energy – Added Tommy’s Matchbook, Hard Light, Loaded Question, Telesto. Removed Subtle Calamity, Symmetry, Lord of Wolves, IKELOS SG, Mindbender’s Ambition.
- Power – Added Wendigo GL3. Removed Pyroclastic Flow, Zenobia-D, Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Monte Carlo, The Mountaintop, Breakneck. Removed Parcel of Stardust, Cold Front.
- Energy – Removed Last Man Standing.
- Power – Removed Avalanche.
- Kinetic – Added No Turning Back, Bygones, Cold Front, Dust Rock Blues. Removed Threat Level, One Small Step, Exit Strategy, The Mountaintop.
- Energy – Added Python, Jotunn. Removed Prophet of Doom, Wishbringer.
- Power – Added Avalanche, Pyroclastic Flow, Zenobia-D. Removed Edgewise, Legend of Acrius, Wendigo GL3.
December 2019 (Season of Dawn Update)
- Kinetic – Added Wish-Ender, Perfect Paradox, Steelfeather Repeater, Threat Level, Parcel of Stardust, One Small Step, Randy’s Throwing Knife. Removed Braytech Werewolf, Breakneck, Monte Carlo, SUROS Regime, Huckleberry, Ace of Spades, Malfeasance.
- Energy – Added Added Lord of Wolves, Symmetry, IKELOS SG, Last Man Standing, Prophet of Doom, Mindbender’s Ambition, Wishbringer. Removed Bug-Out Bag, Subjunctive, Eriana’s Vow, Sunshot, Misfit, Arsenic Bite, Jotunn, Loaded Question.
- Power – Added Tractor Cannon, Xenophage, Legend of Acrius, Edgewise. Removed Leviathan’s Bow, Zenobia-D, Edge Transit, Through Fire and Flood.
- Kinetic – Added Braytech Werewolf, Exit Strategy, SUROS Regime, Malfeasance. Removed Pillager, Bygones, Hazard of the Cast, Cerberus+1.
- Energy – Added Subtle Calamity, Bug-Out Bag, Sunshot. Removed Arc Logic.
- Power – Added Levithan’s Breath, Wendigo GL3, Through Fire and Flood. Removed A Fine Memorial, Deathbringer.
- Kinetic – Added Go Figure, Sweet Business, Hazard of the Cast, Monte Carlo, Pillager, Cerberus+1. Removed Blast Furnace, Outbreak Perfected, Spare Rations, Malfeasance, Austringer.
- Energy – Added Eriana’s Vow, Subjunctive, Arc Logic. Removed Telesto, Le Monarque, Ikelos.
- Power – Added Deathbringer, Zenobia-D, A Fine Memorial, Edge Transit. Removed Fixed Odds, One Thousand Voices, Outrageous Fortune, Swarm of the Raven, Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Spare Rations, Malfeasance. Removed Go Figure, Bad Juju.
- Energy – Added IKELOS, Misfit. Removed CALUS Mini-Tool, Sunshot.
- Power – Added Bad Omens. Removed Bane of Sorrow.
- Kinetic – Added The Mountaintop and Go Figure. Removed Malfaesance and Lumina.
- Energy – Added Riskrunner, CALUS Mini-Tool, Sunshot, and Telesto. Removed Trinity Ghoul and IKELOS Shotgun.
- Power – Added Tractor Cannon, Outrageous Fortune, and Swarm of the Raven. Removed Bad Omens, Zenobia-D, and Wendigo GL3.
- Kinetic – Added Lumina, Bad Juju, and Malfeasance. Removed Wish-Ender, Spiteful Fang, Go Figure, The Mountaintop, Threat Level, and No Turning Back.
- Energy – Added Loaded Question, CALUS Mini-Tool, and Beloved. Removed Telesto, Riskrunner, and The Vow.
- Power – Added Fixed Odds and Wendigo GL3. Removed Outrageous Fortune, Edge Transit, and Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Wish Ender, The Spiteful Fang, The Mountaintop, and Threat Level. Removed Thorn, Malfeasance, Midnight Coup, and The Huckleberry.
- Energy – Added Le Monarque, Subtle Calamity, Arsenic Bite-4b, Trinity Ghoul, and The Vow. Removed Lord of Wolves, Misfit, Prometheus Lens, Trust, and Last Man Standing.
- Power – Added Bane of Sorrow and Edge Transit. Removed Avalanche and Play of the Game.
- Kinetic – Added Outbreak Perfected. Removed Arbalest.
- Energy – Removed The Ringing Nail, Kindled Orchid. Added Trust and Last Man Standing.
- Power – Removed The Wardcliff Coil. Added Play of the Game.
- Kinetic – Added Arbalest. Removed Threat Level.
- Energy –Added Kindled Orchid and The Recluse. Removed Badlander.
- Power – Added Outrageous Fortune.
And that’s that four our guide to the best Gambit weapons in Destiny 2! Thanks for taking the time to check it out. We wish all of you trigger happy Guardians out there the best of luck with those motes of light.