For all the talk about weapon sunsetting in Destiny 2, Crucible players still have every single weapon in the game to choose from. Power isn’t enabled here, baby! That does mean, however, that it’s only growing increasingly more difficult to choose which weapons to actually use. Thankfully, we’ve done some research and put together a list of the best Crucible weapons now that Beyond Light is out.
More Destiny 2 Content:
- Destiny 2 Warlock Necrotic Grip Build – The Best Mods for This Exotic
- With Beyond Light, I Care More About the Story of Destiny Than Playing It
- How to Get the Leviathan’s Breath Catalyst in Destiny 2 Beyond Light
Our picks are based on a combination of a few different sources. The largest is what the Charlemagne Discord bot, which reports the current Destiny 2 meta, thinks about the state of things. Among other things, the bot tracks weapon popularity for each game mode. This is super useful to get our baseline information. We also use general community consensus from the Destiny subreddit and our own experiences playing Crucible!
Guide last updated on January 5, 2021.
Best Crucible Kinetic Weapons
Crimson > Ace of Spades > Sturm > The Steady Hand > True Prophecy > Dire Promise > The Last Word > Hawkmoon (Hand Cannon)
While the story is different for console players (sorry folks), on PC, hand cannons remain one of the best and most popular options. You should honestly pick whatever you like the most. They’re currently listed in order of popularity.
Thorn is our personal favorite when combined with Warlock’s new Necrotic Grip exotic. With it, whenever you kill one enemy with Thorn, they’ll send out a shockwave, poisoning everyone around them. Just keep in mind that the killing blow has to be from a bullet, not the damage over time.
120 RPM hand cannons also got a nice buff, pushing True Prophecy’s popularity up.
Arbalest (Linear Fusion Rifle)
If you’re on console, Arbalest is dominating left and right, getting headshots even when aimed at the body.
No Time to Explain > Vigilance Wing > Cold Denial (Pulse Rifle)
Pulse rifles, especially No Time to Explain are actually super good in Crucible right now. There’s really no beating the accuracy and rate of fire, plus you get a little friend which pretty much never misses their shots!
Revoker (Sniper Rifle)
Thanks to Revoker’s Reversal of Fortune trait, any missed shot returns the bullet to the magazine. Keep shooting until you get a hit! Revoker remains one of the most popular Kinetic weapons in Destiny 2 PVP, at least when power levels aren’t enabled.
SUROS Regime > The Forward Path (Auto Rifle)
Not all that much has changed when it comes to the best PVP weapons. SUROS Regime is still far and away one of the most solid choices, especially for folks without Revoker. It’s super accurate and can melt down enemies quickly without having to worry about long reloads.
If you’d rather stick to Legendaries, Gnawing Hunger (in the energy slot) and The Forward Path are both excellent options. Shoot for Kill Clip in the final perk and make sure to reload every time you can after a kill for the short term damage buff. Bonus points if you stack it with Devour!
Witherhoard (Grenade Launcher)
We’re still waiting to see where Witherhoard ends up on our list. It was turned off until just recently due to a bug where anyone stepping into the damage area would take damage as if they had been hit directly by the grenade.
And yes, for the time being, The Mountaintop has finally fallen off of our list.
Best Crucible Energy Weapons
Felwinter’s Lie > Mindbender’s Ambition > Seventh Seraph CQC-12 > Xenoclast IV (Shotgun)
Felwinter’s Lie is so incredibly powerful. Those of us who don’t have it can do nothing but cry and continue to succumb to those who do. The combination of Full Choke, Quickdraw, and Opening Shot make it better than any other Legendary shotgun out there. The only reason Mindbender’s continues to rank so high is due to Felwinter’s quest being time limited. If you don’t have it now, you’ll simply have to wait.
As per usual, with a random roll like Seventh Seraph CQC, shoot for Slideshot and Snapshot Sights.
Gnawing Hunger > The Summoner (Auto Rifle)
Auto rifles are in a fine place if you prefer to use them. Gnawing Hunger is easily the most popular option out there. If you’re looking for information on what’s considered a god roll, you can find that here.
Adored > Beloved > Cloudstrike (Sniper)
With weapon sunsetting, Bungie made this season’s ritual weapon Adored, a sniper that both looks and feels like Beloved. The only problem is Beloved is still around so make your pick! If you can land your headshots, Cloudstrike is a great new option, capable of killing entire fireteams huddled around a control point.
Stars in Shadow (Pulse Rifle)
A 340 RPM High-Impact Frame weapon, this pulse rifle is quickly gaining popularity thanks to its stopping power and consistency in both PVE and PVP. Additionally, the Stars in Shadow boasts a number of new perks that players can experiment with. Because of this, there are a lot of perk combinations available which makes finding a single one that could be considered the “god roll,” trickier than normal.
Looking for a god roll? Get grinding as it only drops in Crucible. At least we have a guide dedicated to the best perks for you to peruse!
Jotunn (Fusion Rifle)
The biggest problem with Fusion Rifles is their accuracy. So it should be of no surprise that Jotunn, a weapon with tracking projectiles, is both powerful and popular.
Best Crucible Weapons – Power
Seventh Seraph SAW > Commemoration > Hammerhead > Thermal Erosion (Machine Gun)
With the reintroduction of Seventh Seraph SAW to the world loot pool, it’s climbed its way to the top of our power weapon rankings for the moment. The slow rate of fire is crucial in Crucible when it comes to at range eliminations. Commemoration is also a popular choice for those who have ran the new raid. If you don’t have either of those, Hammerhead is still a solid fall back choice.
The Wardcliff Coil (Rocket Launcher)
Wardcliff Coil is the rocket launcher of choice due to the wide spray of projectiles. This lets you be a little less picky about aiming and helps you actually hit a target. Plus it’s capable of wiping out a slew of enemies which are bunched up.
Black Talon > Falling Guillotine > Temptation’s Hook (Sword)
Swords are less popular in Crucible, but if you like to get up close and personal, these are the two we recommend. Falling Guillotine can be amazing if enough enemies are grouped up while Black Talon will let you launch projectiles from a distance.
Interference VI > The Colony > Crowd Pleaser (Grenade Launcher)
Play of the Game performs better than others thanks to good base stats which include a high velocity and one of the highest explosion radii. Much like Truth and Jotunn, The Colony has tracking rounds which makes a Guardian’s life much easier.
Guide Update History
- Kinetic – Added Sturm, The Steady Hand, Hawkmoon, and Arbalest.
- Energy – No changes.
- Heavy – No changes.
December 2020 (Beyond Light Update 2)
- Kinetic – Added The Last Word, Vigilance Wing, Cold Denial, and True Prophecy. Removed Bastion.
- Energy – Added Xenoclast IV and Cloudstrike.
- Heavy – Added Seventh Seraph SAW, Commemoration, and Temptation’s Hook.
November 2020 (Beyond Light Update 1)
- Kinetic – Added No Time to Explain, Ace of Spades, and Vigilance Wing. Removed Spare Rations and The Mountaintop.
- Energy – Added Adored and Stars in Shadow. Removed Hard Light, Luna’s Howl, and Not Forgotten.
- Heavy – Added Thermal Erosion and Crowd Pleaser. Removed Truth.
- Kinetic – Added Crimson.
- Energy – No changes.
- Heavy – Added Falling Guillotine, Xenophage. Removed Play of the Game.
- Kinetic – Added The Forward Path.
- Energy – Added Seventh Seraph CQC-12.
- Heavy – No changes.
- Kinetic – Added Dire Promise, Witherhoard, and Astral Horizon. Removed Crimson, Dust Rock Blues, Monte Carlo.
- Energy – Added Felwinter’s Lie. Removed Galliard-42 XN7568.
- Heavy – Added Temptation’s Hook. Removed Bad Omens and Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added The Last Word, Bastion, and The Mountaintop. Removed Astral Horizon, Ace of Spades, and Bygones.
- Energy – Added Galliard-42 XN7568 and Gnawing Hunger. Removed Erentil FR4 and The Recluse.
- Heavy – Added Interference VI, The Colony, Heir Apparent, Tractor Cannon, and Bad Omens. Removed 21% Delerium, Tomorrow’s Answer, and Roar of the Bear.
- Kinetic – Added Astral Horizon.
- Energy – Added The Summoner.
- Power – Added Black Talon, Tomorrow’s Answer.
- Kinetic – Added SUROS Regime, Monte Carlo. Removed The Last Word, Randy’s Throwing Knife, Arbalest.
- Energy – Added Hard Light. Removed Trust.
- Power – Added 21% Delirium. Removed Pyroclastic Flow, The Colony, Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – No changes.
- Energy – Removed Symmetry.
- Power – Added Pyroclastic Flow, Bad Omens. Removed Avalanche, Crooked Fang-4FR, Black Talon.
- Kinetic – No changes.
- Energy – No changes.
- Power – Added Avalanche, Tractor Cannon. Removed 21% Delirium, Bad Omens.
December 2019 (Season of Dawn Update)
- Kinetic – Added Arbalest, Spare Rations, Thorn. Removed The Jade Rabbit, MIDA Multi-Tool, Vigilance Wing.
- Energy – Added Beloved, Symmetry, Lord of Wolves, Trust. Removed Riskrunner, Hero’s Burden, Claws of the Wolf, Wizened Rebuke.
- Power – Added Crooked Fang-4FR, Bad Omens, Black Talon. Removed Swarm of the Raven, Edge Transit, THrough Fire and Flood.
- Kinetic – Added Randy’s Throwing Knife. Removed Thorn.
- Energy – Added Claws of the Wolf, Wizened Rebuke, Hero’s Burden. Removed Trust, Eriana’s Vow, Beloved.
- Power – Added Swarm of the Raven, Roar of the Bear, 21% Delirium. Removed Thunderlord, Zenobia-D, Leviathan’s Breath.
- Kinetic – Added Vigilance Wing. Removed Spare Rations.
- Energy – Added Jotunn. Removed Loaded Question, Last Perdition.
- Power – Added Leviathan’s Breath. Removed 21% Delirium, A Fine Memorial, Wendigo GL3, Deathbringer.
- Kinetic – Added MIDA Multi-Tool, Revoker, Dust Rock Blues, The Last Word, Jade Rabbit, Thorn, Crimson. Removed Sweet Business, SUROS Regime, Cerberus+1, Austringer, Outbreak Perfected, The Mountaintop.
- Energy – Added Luna’s Howl, Beloved, Not Forgotten, Trust, Eriana’s Vow, Riskrunner, Last Perdition. Removed Subjunctive, Every Waking Moment, Retold Tale, Lord of Wolves.
- Power – Added Truth, The Wardcliff Coil, The Colony, Deathbringer, A Fine Memorial, Zenobia-D, Through Fire and Flood. Removed Swarm of the Raven, Love and Death.
- Kinetic – Added SUROS Regime, The Mountaintop, Vigilance Wing. Removed Thorn, Rose, Outbreak Perfected.
- Energy – Added Erentil FR4. Removed Twilight Oath.
- Power – Added The Colony, 21% Delirium, Swarm of the Raven. Removed Through Fire and Flood, Outrageous Fortune.
- Kinetic – Added Rose, Spare Rations, and Outbreak Perfected. Removed Lumina, Bad Juju, and Militia’s Birthright.
- Energy – Added Last Perdition. Removed Fate Cries Fowl.
- Power – Added The Wardcliff Coil, Through Fire and Flood, Thunderlord, and Outrageous Fortune. Removed Fixed Odds, Bane of Sorrow, Legend of Acrius, and The Colony.
- Kinetic – Added Militia’s Birthright, Lumina, and Bad Juju. Removed Outbreak Prime, Supremacy, The Mountaintop, and Duke Mk. 44.
- Energy – Added Jotunn. Removed Kindled Orchid.
- Power – Added Fixed Odds, Legend of Acrius, and Bane of Sorrow. Removed 21% Delirium, The Wardcliff Coil, and Through Fire and Flood.
June 2019 (Update 2)
- Kinetic – Added Duke Mk.44 and Revoker. Removed Bite of the Fox.
- Energy – Added Lord of Wolves and Kindled Orchid. Removed Tatara’s Gaze.
- Power – Added Truth and Through Fire and Flood. Removed Thunderlord and One Thousand Voices.
- Kinetic – Added The Supremacy, Bite of the Fox, The Mountaintop, Austringer. Removed Dust Rock Blues, Vigilance Wing, The Chaperone.
- Energy – Added Beloved, Twilight Oath, Fighting Lion, Fate Cries Fowl, Tatara’s Gaze. Removed Not Forgotten, Kindled Orchid, Trust, Last Perdition, Right Side of Wrong.
- Power – Added One Thousand Voices. Removed Avalanche.
- Kinetic – Added Outbreak Perfected. Removed Arbalest, Duke Mk. 44.
- Energy – No changes.
- Power – Added Outrageous Fortune, The Colony. Removed Bad Omens.
- Kinetic – Added Arbalest, Thorn. Removed Go Figure, Bite of the Fox.
- Energy – Added Kindred Orchid, Last Rendition, Right Side of Wrong. Removed Wishbringer, IKELOS Shotgun.
- Power – Added 21% Delirium. Removed One Thousand Voices.
And that’s that for our guide to the best Crucible weapons in Destiny 2! Thanks for taking the time to check it out. We wish all of you trigger happy Guardians out there the best of luck in mowing down your friends.