There are so many weapons in Destiny 2, Exotic or otherwise, that it can be really hard to know which are best suited for PVE, Crucible, or Gambit. You’ve got a bank full of weapons, sure! But which ones should you actually use? While it’s possible to just hop into Crucible and see what your teammates have, or what the other Guardians are killing you with, that’s not really a fun way to figure out what’s what. That’s why we’re here sharing the best Crucible weapons in the current Destiny 2 meta. That way you can work out your loadout before diving into the game mode.
Keep in mind that you may need to do some adjusting depending on which weapons you don’t have and which slot you choose to outfit with an Exotic!
More Destiny 2 Content:
- The Best PVE Weapons in Destiny 2 (August 2020 Season of Arrivals Meta)
- I’m Baby, Please Don’t Make Me Play Trials of Osiris in Destiny 2
- 9 Destiny 2 Exotic Weapons in Desperate Need of a Buff
Our picks are based on a combination of a few different sources. The largest is what the Charlemagne Discord bot, which reports the current Destiny 2 meta, thinks about the state of things. Among other things, the bot tracks weapon popularity for each game mode. This is super useful to get our baseline information. We also use general community consensus from the Destiny subreddit and our own experiences playing Crucible!
This guide was last updated on June 13, 2020, one week after Ruinous Effigy and the re-released Ikelos weapons dropped.
Best Crucible Kinetic Weapons
Revoker (Sniper Rifle)
Thanks to Revoker’s Reversal of Fortune trait, any missed shot returns the bullet to the magazine. Keep shooting until you get a hit! Superb for Trials of Osiris, Revoker remains one of the most popular Kinetic weapons in Destiny 2 PVP.
SUROS Regime / The Forward Path (Auto Rifle)
Not all that much has changed when it comes to the best PVP weapons. SUROS Regime is still far and away one of the most solid choices, especially for folks without Revoker. It’s super accurate and can melt down enemies quickly without having to worry about long reloads.
If you’d rather stick to Legendaries, Gnawing Hunger (in the energy slot) and The Forward Path are both excellent options. Shoot for Kill Clip in the final perk and make sure to reload every time you can after a kill for the short term damage buff. Bonus points if you stack it with Devour!
Dire Promise / Thorn / Spare Rations / The Last Word / Crimson (Hand Cannon)
While the story is different for console players (sorry folks), on PC, hand cannons remain one of the best and most popular options. You should honestly pick whatever you like the most. They’re currently listed in order of popularity.
Dire Promise is far and away the most popular Hand Cannon. The rest are good choices if you’d rather utilize something else.
The Mountaintop / Witherhoard (Grenade Launcher)
Witherhoard, the latest free season pass exotic, is admittedly already strong. It’s super forgiving when it comes to landing your shots. If you miss, it’ll still create a useful area-of-effect (AOE) damage zone on the ground which is a pain and keeps Guardians from going where they want. If it lands the grenade instead goes inside of enemies and slowly damages them over time (DOT). Should they fall to the DOT, they’ll melt into the aforementioned AOE damage zone.
The Mountaintop remains atop the heap, however, but the difficulty to obtain it does put this out of reach for many players. If you don’t have it now, it’s been capped at 1060 power and won’t be feasible for Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris come September.
Bastion (Fusion Rifle)
Essentially a shotgun, the Bastion is a hard-hitting weapon that can take down a Guardian in a single burst. With the meta so focused on close-quarters fighting, Bastion has proven itself to be a superb choice if you don’t want to use a Dust Rock Blues. Plus, it’s pretty easy to control, you just need to remember this weapon has a slight delay before it fires.
Astral Horizon (Shotgun)
It’s of no surprise that Trials of Osiris weapons are popular in Crucible too. This shotgun rounds out the most popular Kinetic weapons at the moment.
Best Crucible Energy Weapons
Felwinter’s Lie / Mindbender’s Ambition / Seventh Seraph CQC-12 (Shotgun)
Felwinter’s Lie is so incredibly powerful. Those of us who don’t have it can do nothing but cry and continue to succumb to those who do. The combination of Full Choke, Quickdraw, and Opening Shot make it better than any other Legendary shotgun out there. The only reason Mindbender’s continues to rank so high is due to Felwinter’s quest being time limited. If you don’t have it now, you’ll simply have to wait.
As per usual, with a random roll like Seventh Seraph CQC, shoot for Slideshot and Snapshot Sights.
The Summoner / Gnawing Hunger / Hard Light (Auto Rifle)
Surprisingly, even after getting hit with a pretty substantial nerf, Hard Light is still a favorite among PVP players. This is due to Hard Light having a large magazine, great rate of fire, and ricochet rounds, making it great for taking on multiple foes.
For the other options, take our advice from earlier on and get a drop with Kill Clip. Just make sure to reload when you can right after a kill for the buff!
Beloved is one of those weapons that has remained solid since its release. While sniper rifles haven’t always been in the meta — unless you’re Revoker — Beloved has always really been a solid option. It can also easily be obtained from The Menagerie once you’ve upgraded your Chalice of Opulence.
Luna’s Howl / Not Forgotten (Hand Cannon)
There’s really nothing new to say about Luna’s Howl and Not Forgotten. These legendary hand cannons are some of the best competitive weapons in all of Destiny. If you don’t have them yet, it’s not too late to earn one! Just like Recluse, hit up the solo competitive playlist.
Jotunn (Fusion Rifle)
The biggest problem with Fusion Rifles is their accuracy. So it should be of no surprise that Jotunn, a weapon with tracking projectiles, is both powerful and popular.
Best Crucible Weapons – Power
The Wardcliff Coil / Truth (Rocket Launcher)
Wardcliff Coil is the rocket launcher of choice due to the wide spray of projectiles. This lets you be a little less picky about aiming and helps you actually hit a target. Plus it’s capable of wiping out a slew of enemies which are bunched up.
If Wardcliff Coils is the spray and pray option, Truth is the sniper rifle equivalent. Lock onto an enemy at range and let the missile fly. Chances are it’ll track down its prey.
Hammerhead / Xenophage (Machine Gun)
Hammerhead has been atop the Crucible power rankings since its release, at least on PC. There it will likely remain until the power limit starts to fall behind in September. Even then, Hammerhead will remain a viable option in everything but Trials of Osiris and Iron Banner.
Xenophage has been popularized by folks trying to get Gambit eliminations. Its range is much higher than expected and it can kill most Guardians in just a few shots.
Black Talon / Falling Guillotine (Sword)
Swords are less popular in Crucible, but if you like to get up close and personal, these are the two we recommend. Falling Guillotine can be amazing if enough enemies are grouped up while Black Talon will let you launch projectiles from a distance.
Interference VI / The Colony (Grenade Launcher)
Play of the Game performs better than others thanks to good base stats which include a high velocity and one of the highest explosion radii. Much like Truth and Jotunn, The Colony has tracking rounds which makes a Guardian’s life much easier.
Guide Update History
- Kinetic – Added Crimson.
- Energy – No changes.
- Heavy – Added Falling Guillotine, Xenophage. Removed Play of the Game.
- Kinetic – Added The Forward Path.
- Energy – Added Seventh Seraph CQC-12.
- Heavy – No changes.
- Kinetic – Added Dire Promise, Witherhoard, and Astral Horizon. Removed Crimson, Dust Rock Blues, Monte Carlo.
- Energy – Added Felwinter’s Lie. Removed Galliard-42 XN7568.
- Heavy – Added Temptation’s Hook. Removed Bad Omens and Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added The Last Word, Bastion, and The Mountaintop. Removed Astral Horizon, Ace of Spades, and Bygones.
- Energy – Added Galliard-42 XN7568 and Gnawing Hunger. Removed Erentil FR4 and The Recluse.
- Heavy – Added Interference VI, The Colony, Heir Apparent, Tractor Cannon, and Bad Omens. Removed 21% Delerium, Tomorrow’s Answer, and Roar of the Bear.
- Kinetic – Added Astral Horizon.
- Energy – Added The Summoner.
- Power – Added Black Talon, Tomorrow’s Answer.
- Kinetic – Added SUROS Regime, Monte Carlo. Removed The Last Word, Randy’s Throwing Knife, Arbalest.
- Energy – Added Hard Light. Removed Trust.
- Power – Added 21% Delirium. Removed Pyroclastic Flow, The Colony, Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – No changes.
- Energy – Removed Symmetry.
- Power – Added Pyroclastic Flow, Bad Omens. Removed Avalanche, Crooked Fang-4FR, Black Talon.
- Kinetic – No changes.
- Energy – No changes.
- Power – Added Avalanche, Tractor Cannon. Removed 21% Delirium, Bad Omens.
December 2019 (Season of Dawn Update)
- Kinetic – Added Arbalest, Spare Rations, Thorn. Removed The Jade Rabbit, MIDA Multi-Tool, Vigilance Wing.
- Energy – Added Beloved, Symmetry, Lord of Wolves, Trust. Removed Riskrunner, Hero’s Burden, Claws of the Wolf, Wizened Rebuke.
- Power – Added Crooked Fang-4FR, Bad Omens, Black Talon. Removed Swarm of the Raven, Edge Transit, THrough Fire and Flood.
- Kinetic – Added Randy’s Throwing Knife. Removed Thorn.
- Energy – Added Claws of the Wolf, Wizened Rebuke, Hero’s Burden. Removed Trust, Eriana’s Vow, Beloved.
- Power – Added Swarm of the Raven, Roar of the Bear, 21% Delirium. Removed Thunderlord, Zenobia-D, Leviathan’s Breath.
- Kinetic – Added Vigilance Wing. Removed Spare Rations.
- Energy – Added Jotunn. Removed Loaded Question, Last Perdition.
- Power – Added Leviathan’s Breath. Removed 21% Delirium, A Fine Memorial, Wendigo GL3, Deathbringer.
- Kinetic – Added MIDA Multi-Tool, Revoker, Dust Rock Blues, The Last Word, Jade Rabbit, Thorn, Crimson. Removed Sweet Business, SUROS Regime, Cerberus+1, Austringer, Outbreak Perfected, The Mountaintop.
- Energy – Added Luna’s Howl, Beloved, Not Forgotten, Trust, Eriana’s Vow, Riskrunner, Last Perdition. Removed Subjunctive, Every Waking Moment, Retold Tale, Lord of Wolves.
- Power – Added Truth, The Wardcliff Coil, The Colony, Deathbringer, A Fine Memorial, Zenobia-D, Through Fire and Flood. Removed Swarm of the Raven, Love and Death.
- Kinetic – Added SUROS Regime, The Mountaintop, Vigilance Wing. Removed Thorn, Rose, Outbreak Perfected.
- Energy – Added Erentil FR4. Removed Twilight Oath.
- Power – Added The Colony, 21% Delirium, Swarm of the Raven. Removed Through Fire and Flood, Outrageous Fortune.
- Kinetic – Added Rose, Spare Rations, and Outbreak Perfected. Removed Lumina, Bad Juju, and Militia’s Birthright.
- Energy – Added Last Perdition. Removed Fate Cries Fowl.
- Power – Added The Wardcliff Coil, Through Fire and Flood, Thunderlord, and Outrageous Fortune. Removed Fixed Odds, Bane of Sorrow, Legend of Acrius, and The Colony.
- Kinetic – Added Militia’s Birthright, Lumina, and Bad Juju. Removed Outbreak Prime, Supremacy, The Mountaintop, and Duke Mk. 44.
- Energy – Added Jotunn. Removed Kindled Orchid.
- Power – Added Fixed Odds, Legend of Acrius, and Bane of Sorrow. Removed 21% Delirium, The Wardcliff Coil, and Through Fire and Flood.
June 2019 (Update 2)
- Kinetic – Added Duke Mk.44 and Revoker. Removed Bite of the Fox.
- Energy – Added Lord of Wolves and Kindled Orchid. Removed Tatara’s Gaze.
- Power – Added Truth and Through Fire and Flood. Removed Thunderlord and One Thousand Voices.
- Kinetic – Added The Supremacy, Bite of the Fox, The Mountaintop, Austringer. Removed Dust Rock Blues, Vigilance Wing, The Chaperone.
- Energy – Added Beloved, Twilight Oath, Fighting Lion, Fate Cries Fowl, Tatara’s Gaze. Removed Not Forgotten, Kindled Orchid, Trust, Last Perdition, Right Side of Wrong.
- Power – Added One Thousand Voices. Removed Avalanche.
- Kinetic – Added Outbreak Perfected. Removed Arbalest, Duke Mk. 44.
- Energy – No changes.
- Power – Added Outrageous Fortune, The Colony. Removed Bad Omens.
- Kinetic – Added Arbalest, Thorn. Removed Go Figure, Bite of the Fox.
- Energy – Added Kindred Orchid, Last Rendition, Right Side of Wrong. Removed Wishbringer, IKELOS Shotgun.
- Power – Added 21% Delirium. Removed One Thousand Voices.
And that’s that for our guide to the best Crucible weapons in Destiny 2! Thanks for taking the time to check it out. We wish all of you trigger happy Guardians out there the best of luck in mowing down your friends.