Bravely Default 2 is here and that means it’s once again time to try and familiarize yourself with the plentiful Job options. If you’ve played Final Fantasy 14 or other Square Enix games, you’re likely used to this definition of Jobs, but those who aren’t might be a bit confused. In this guide, we’ll quickly explain jobs and sub-jobs before diving into the specifics of the Monk Job in Bravely Default 2.
What’s a Job and a Sub-Job?
A Job is your character’s main class. It’s what determines your stats, which equipment you’re proficient with, and what skills you have access to. A sub-job is essentially you’re secondary class. The difference is you only gain access to it skills. The stats and weapon proficiencies it comes with do not carry over.
Because of this it’s possible to make a Vanguard which has the healing abilities of a White Mage or a Monk which also has some of the highly damaging abilities of a Black Mage.
The Monk is an interesting Job which loves to attack lots of time and activate as many critical strikes as possible.
Specialty #1: Concentration – Causes critical chance to increase every time Invigorate, Inner Alchemy, or Mindfulness is used. The effect lasts for the duration of the current battle.
Specialty #2: ??? – Unlocked at Job Level 12.
Special Ability: Eternal Inferno – Strike an enemy with a powerful fire-imbued physical attack.
- Bonus Effects:
- Restorative Power +15%
- Critical Chance +15%
- Use Martial Arts x 13
Monk Weapon Proficiencies
The Monk is particularly good at fighting with no weapon equipped and instead dealing damage with its fists. That said, it can also use staves to bonk enemies or polearms to attack from a distance.
- Swords: E
- Daggers: D
- Axes: D
- Polearms: B
- Bows: E
- Staves: A
- Shields: E
The Monk Job can earn the following abilities as it levels up. These largely help the Monk attack and debuff enemies though it can also become self sufficient using things like Inner Alchemy and Mindfulness.
- Strong Strike (18% HP) – Perform a physical attack on a target that deals heavy damage, but has a slightly reduced chance of landing.
- Inner Alchemy (20 MP) – Restore 20% of the user’s HP and cure poison, blindness, and slow.
- Bare-Knuckle Brawler (1 Cost) – Boosts user and equipment’s physical attack by 80% and aim by 30% when both hands are empty.
- Firebird (15% HP) – Perform a fire-imbued physical attack on a target. Target’s resistance to fire is reduced for two turns.
- Qigong Wave (20% HP) – Perform a physical attack that can penetrate a target’s Default defense.
- Mindfulness (1 BP) – Restore 15% of the user’s MP and cure silence, dread, and contagion.
- Flying Heel Drop (30% HP) – Perform a powerful physical attack on a target.
- Invigorate (20 MP) – Boosts the user’s physical attack by 15% for three turns. Stats cannot be increased beyond 200% of their base value.
- Tortoise Kick (10% HP) – Perform a physical attack on a target and delay their next turn.
- Flames of War (35% HP) – Perform an extremely powerful fire-imbued physical attack on a target.
That’s it for now! We’re still working our way through Bravely Default 2 and plan on adding more information to our guides as we go along. Make sure to check back later to see what we’ve added!