With Animal Crossing: New Horizons, the franchise takes a full hearted leap into the present day, with enhanced internet play, chat functionality, and an in-game smartphone. When paired with the Nintendo Switch Online app, your digital NookPhone can connect to your real world iPhone (or Android device), unlocking a handful of featured including the ability to scan in QR codes of designs from Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Happy Home Designer.
How to Set Up NookLink
Setting up NookLink is easy. From the game’s start up screen you’re going to want to hit the “–” (Minus) button on your controller to open up settings.
After Tom Nook warns you to grab a parent, he’ll present you with the option to set up NookLink. Click that and then grab your phone.
Setting Up The Nintendo Switch Online App
Head over to your local App Store and search for “Nintendo Switch Online.” Download the app, sign in with your Nintendo Account, and then head back into your game. Once you’ve set up the account in Animal Crossing, a tile will appear on your phone that will turn the app into your NookPhone. We’ll get to that in a second, though.
Finalizing NookLink Setup
After quickly connecting to the internet to do a verification check, Tom Nook will let you know that you’ve successfully paired the Nintendo Switch Online app with NookLink. Jump back into your game and grab your phone.
Once inside of the app, there will be a tile with the Animal Crossing logo on it. Hit that and watch as your iPhone is turned into a NookPhone, complete with the startup animation and apps.
What Does NookLink Do?
There are five total apps in NookLink: Passport, Designs, Keyboards, Best Friends, and Settings. Let’s break them down:
- Passport: The Passport lets you view your villager’s passport. This shows your villager’s birthday, title, native fruit, island name, and the residents of your island.
- Keyboards: The Keyboard app lets you chat in game using your phone’s keyboard. This is much faster than using the in-game one, and it has autocorrect!
- Best Friends: Best Friends will tell you who in your friends list is online, what they’re doing, and where they are. It’ll also give you the ability to message them. You can send a mass message (to your whole friends list) or to an individual.
- Settings: This has legalese and stuff in it. You can also change the language and player from this screen.
- Designs: The Designs app is where you will go to scan in a QR code that contains a custom design from New Leaf, Happy Home Designer, or an online editor like this one.
How To Scan In Designs Using A QR Code
When you tap Scan A QR Code, your phone’s camera will open. Scan in the code and hit Save. Back in the game, open up your NookPhone and make your way to the Custom Designs app. Press the + button to start the Download process. The game will fetch the designs you’ve scanned into the game and upload them into your phone after you select a save slot for the design.
And that’s it! Hopefully this helps you get settled into your new Animal Crossing: New Horizons island! Much like the game itself, check back throughout the day to see what’s new here on Fanbyte. We already have guides for how to move your tent and how to get across rivers using either the vaulting pole or constructing bridges.