In a previous version of this Genshin Impact guide, we called Xingqiu a support, though he’s more accurately a sub-DPS, and a top tier one at that. He’s perfect for activating lots of elemental reactions thanks to his ultimate, Raincutter, though we’ll get more into that in a moment. In this guide, we’ll be taking a look at all of Xingqiu’s abilities and recommend a team comp, artifacts, and weapons for him.
More Genshin Impact:
- Genshin Impact Fischl Guide: Best Build, Artifacts, Team, & More!
- How to Get More Wishes in Genshin Impact
- Genshin Impact Code Guide – Redeem for Free Wishes, Primogems, & More
Xingqiu’s entire kit revolves around his rain swords. These can be gained through both of his abilities, reducing the amount of damage taken. His Raincutter ability also enables him to pump out Hydro damage and enable elemental combos even when he’s off the field. And to top it all off, he’s not so bad at dealing physical damage himself.
- Guhua Style (Basic Attack)
- Normal Attack: Perform up to five consecutive strikes.
- Charged Attack: Consumes a certain amount of Stamina to unleash two rapid sword strikes.
- Plunging Attack: Plunges from mid-air to strike the ground below, damaging enemies along the path and dealing AOE DMG upon impact.
- Fatal Rainscreen (Basic Ability)
- Xingqiu performs twin strikes with his sword, dealing Hydro DMG. At the same time, his ability creates the maximum number of Rain Swords, which will orbit your active character.
- The Rain Swords have the following properties:
- When a character takes DMG, the Rain Sword will shatter, reducing the amount of DMG taken.
- Increase the character’s resistance to interruption.
- 20 percent of Xingqiu’s Hydro DMG Bonus will be converted to additional DMG Reduction for the Rain Swords.
- The maximum amount of additional DMG Reduction that can be gained this way is 24 percent.
- The initial maximum number of Rain Swords is three.
- Using this ability applies the Wet status onto the character.
- Raincutter (Ultimate)
- Rainbow Bladework:
- Your active character’s Normal Attacks will trigger consecutive sword rain attacks, dealing Hydro DMG.
- Rain Swords will remain at the maximum number throughout the ability’s duration.
- These effects carry over to other characters.
- Rainbow Bladework:
- Hydropathic (Passive 1) – Ascension 1
- When a Rain Sword is shattered or when its duration expires, it regenerates the current character’s HP based on six percent of Xingqiu’s Max HP.
- Blades Amidst Raindrops (Passive 2) – Ascension 4
- Xingqiu gains a 20 percent Hydro DMG Bonus.
- Flash of Genius (Passive 3) – Unlocked
- When Xingqiu crafts Character Talent Materials, he has a 25 percent chance to refund a portion of the crafting materials used.
Since Xingqiu is all about pumping out extra damage with his abilities, we want weapons and artifacts which will empower his Hydro abilities and reduce their cooldowns. If you go with the Favonius Sword, make sure to put some bonuses for crit chance in your gear.
Sacrificial Sword (4-Star): After damaging an opponent with an Elemental Skill, the skill has a 40/50/60/70/80% chance to end its own cooldown. Can only occur once every 30/26/22/18/14 seconds.
Favonius Sword (4-Star): Critical hits have a 60/70/80/90/100% chance to generate one Elemental Orb, which will regenerate six energy for the character. Can only occur once every 12/10.5/9/7.5/6 seconds.
The Exile is the simplest choice here as it both helps Xingqiu generate energy faster and supports allies whenever he creates an elemental burst. Noblesse Oblige is much rarer and has a similar affect, but buffs attack instead. If you’re far enough in the game to have Heart of Depth, we can also recommend the two piece bonus which buffs Hydro damage. This is particularly handy because even when you swap off of Xingqiu, his swords will retain the buff.
The Exile (Elemental Burst Buff) – (2) Energy Recharge +20%. (4) Using an Elemental Burst regenerates 2 Energy for other party members every two seconds for six seconds. This effect cannot stack.
Noblesse Oblige (Elemental Burst Buff) – (2) Elemental Burst DMG +20 percent. (4) Using an Elemental Burst increases all party members’ ATK by 20 percent for 12 seconds. This effect cannot stack.
Heart of Depth (5-Star) – (2) +15 percent Hydro damage.
Xingqiu works well on most teams with an emphasis on elemental reactions. Even characters like Lisa and Chongyun can really do a ton of damage when combined with his Hydro damage.
- Top Tier Team
- Main DPS: Diluc
- Secondary DPS: Xingqiu
- Healer: Qiqi
- Support: Bennett
- Budget Team
- Main DPS: Chongyun
- Secondary DPS: Xingqiu
- Healer: Barbara
- Support: Noelle
- Talent Level-Up Material: Teachings/Guide/Philosophies of Gold
- Common Ascension Material: Damaged/Stained/Ominous Mask
- Weekly Material: Tail of Boreas
We’re putting the constellation information here at the bottom because it’s incredibly difficult to rank these up in any meaningful way outside of sheer luck.
Like with many other characters, there are some nice buffs in Xingqiu’s constellations, but you actually get a pretty decent buff at level two!
- Level 1 – The Scent Remained: Increases the maximum number of Rain Swords by one.
- Level 2 – Rainbow Upon the Azure Sky: Extends the duration of Raincutter by three seconds. Decreases the Hydro RES of enemies hit by sword rain by 15 percent for four seconds.
- Level 3 – Weaver of Verses: Increases the level of Raincutter by three. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 4 – Evilsoother: Throughout the duration of Raincutter, the DMG dealt by Fatal Rainscreen is increased by 50 percent.
- Level 5 – Embrace of Rain: Increases the level of Fatal Rainscreen by three. Maximum upgrade level is 15.
- Level 6 – Hence, Call Them My Own Verses: Activating two of Raincutter’s sword rain attacks greatly increases the DMG of the third. Xingqiu regenerates three Energy when sword rain attacks hit enemies.
Here’s what you’ll need to maximize Xingqiu’s level cap.
- 1st Ascension (Max Level 20) – 1 Varunada Lazurite Sliver, 3 Silk Flowers, 3 Damaged Masks
- 2nd Ascension (Max Level 40) – 3 Varunada Lazurite Fragments, 2 Cleansing Hearts, 10 Silk Flowers, 15 Damaged Masks
- 3rd Ascension (Max Level 50) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Fragments, 4 Cleansing Hearts, 20 Silk Flowers, 12 Stained Masks
- 4th Ascension (Max Level 60) – 3 Varunada Lazurite Chunks, 8 Cleansing Hearts, 30 Silk Flowers, 18 Stained Masks
- 5th Ascension (Max Level 70) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Chunks, 12 Cleansing Hearts, 45 Silk Flowers, 12 Ominous Masks
- 6th Ascension (Max Level 80) – 6 Varunada Lazurite Gemstones, 20 Cleansing Hearts, 60 Silk Flowers, 24 Ominous Masks
And that’s it! Is there anything we missed? Let us know in the comments below!