Bungie has overhauled Gambit once again with the upcoming release of The Witch Queen. This Destiny 2 amalgamation of PVE and PVP pits two fireteams against each other as they defeat foes, bank motes, invade the enemy side, and rush to be the first to defeat the Primeval. You can read all about the latest changes in this TWAB, but we know you’re really here to understand what the meta looks like. While the latest expansion (and Gambit changes) aren’t out yet, we’ve put together an updated list so you at least understand what was good going in. Things will undoubtedly change, but this Gambit weapons meta guide should help you start out.
You May Also Like:
- The Best PVE Weapons in Destiny 2 (February 2022 Meta)
- The Best Crucible PVP Weapons in Destiny 2 (February 2022 Meta)
- Destiny 2 New Light Guide – Crucible, Vanguard, & Gambit Explained
Our picks are based on a combination of a few different sources. Our largest source is the Charlemagne Discord bot, which reports the current meta. Among other things, the bot tracks weapon popularity for each game mode. This is super useful for getting our baseline information. We also use general community consensus from the Destiny subreddit and our own experiences playing Gambit.
As a whole, the meta seems to be dominated by Hand Cannon primaries, Fusion Rifle energy weapons, and Rocket Launcher powerful weapons.
Guide last updated on February 18, 2022.
Best Gambit Kinetic Weapons
Servant Leader (Scout Rifle)
Scout Rifles aren’t necessarily in the best position when it comes to the current meta, yet this Gambit unlock stands atop the charts going into The Witch Queen. Our own Guides Writer, Collin MacGregor, says this is likely due to the “comical amount of great perks” it can roll with. Surplus, Rampage, Killing Wind, Kill Clip, Rapid Hit, Outlaw, Frenzy, Subsistence, Osmosis — the list goes on. Find a roll you like, and this thing is super solid.
Chroma Rush / Scathelocke / Sweet Business (Auto Rifle)
Auto Rifles will always be popular regardless of the meta. As things currently stand, these three top the charts across both PVE and Gambit, specifically.
Ager’s Scepter (Trace Rifle)
Whether you’re running a Stasis subclass or not, Ager’s Scepter is great at dealing with a large number of enemies. Pair it up with a matching subclass, however, and it can really put down some damage. With the right build, you can use it to have your Super up in no time at all.
Eyasluna / Malfeasance / Vulpecula / Fatebringer (Hand Cannon)
Since Eyasluna dropped during the 30th Anniversary celebration, it’s pulled the popularity of Hand Cannons up with it. Fatebringer is obviously fantastic if you have one, and Malfeasance is uniquely equipped for Gambit. Those without any of these three are probably best off with Vulpecula as it’s widely available.
Witherhoard (Grenade Launcher)
Oh, Witherhoard. What isn’t there to say about this Grenade Launcher? Between its ability to deal direct damage and control chokepoints, it’s a super good tool for players to have.
Best Gambit Energy Weapons
Null Composure / Cartesian Coordinate / Vex Mythoclast / Jotunn (Fusion Rifle)
We all know it’s the season of the Fusion Rifle. Thanks to Particle Deconstruction in the seasonal artifact, both Fusion Rifles and Linear Fusion Rifles have dominated builds for the last six months. While we certainly expect their power (and popularity) to fade with this mod going away, a few (like Vex Mythoclast and Jotunn) will likely remain super useful.
Riskrunner (Submachine Gun)
As we mentioned before, dealing with large numbers of weak enemies is one of the core jobs in Gambit. Arc classes are particularly good at this, especially when equipped with Riskrunner. Since the chain lightning ability doesn’t activate until you take Arc damage, it’s particularly useful to be able to tag yourself with your own grenade to turn on the effect.
Gnawing Hunger (Auto Rifle)
Gnawing Hunger continues to stick around as one of the most popular Auto Rifles even in the Energy slot, which has become much more competitive this season.
BxR-55 Battler (Pulse Rifle)
On average, the new BxR-55 Battler is the most popular Pulse Rifle in Destiny 2 at the moment. Part of the reason is how little recoil the weapon has. Another is the number of useful perk combinations. We recommend shooting for Outlaw + Kill Clip or whatever best fits your build.
Salvager’s Salvo (Grenade Launcher)
The perks on this thing are wild. It’s got Chain Reaction, so every enemy it kills explodes. It has Vorpal Weapon if you want boss DPS, Demolitionist if you’re running a grenade build, and Ambitious Assassin for two shots in the chamber. The flexibility this thing offers is wild!
Le Monarque / Ticuu’s Divination (Bow)
Both bows are good at dealing with small crowds of enemies while accessing a more powerful draw, which helps you deal with majors and the like.
Best Gambit Power Weapons
Gjallarhorn / Ascendancy / Bad Omens / Eyes of Tomorrow (Rocket Launcher)
Rocket Launchers were already popular in Gambit, especially Eyes of Tomorrow, but Gjallarhorn has taken them over the top now that it gives any nearby non-Exotic Rocket Launcher Wolfpack Rounds as well.
Falling Guillotine / Quickfang / Half-Truths / The Lament (Sword)
For the fans of slicing and dicing, Falling Guillotine is still the go-to here. Quickfang is good but Hunter-exclusive. Half-Truths with Eager Edge is an incredibly useful tool for navigating around the arenas quickly. It’s also a half-decent sword. If you’re looking for straight-up damage, The Other Half is better for that.
Sleeper Simulant (Linear Fusion Rifle)
Bungie has really tried to make Sleeper Simulant relevant this season. As someone who didn’t earn the gun until well after its heyday, that’s been super appreciated. It remains to be seen if it can compete with other DPS weapons after Particle Deconstruction is gone, though.
Memory Interdict (Grenade Launcher)
Grenade Launchers are mostly outclassed, but Memory Interdict seems to be the favorite among those who still use them.
- Kinetic – Added Servant Leader, Chroma Rush, Scathelocke, Ager’s Scepter, Eyasluna, Malfeasance, Vulpecula, and Fatebringer. Removed Extraordinary Rendition, Heritage, Dead Man’s Tale, Night Watch, Seventh Seraph Carbine, False Promises, and Thorn.
- Energy – Added Null Composure, Cartesian Coordinate, Vex Mythoclast, BxR-55 Battler, and Le Monarque. Removed Deafening Whisper, Truthteller, IKELOS SMG, Trinity Ghoul, Igneous Hammer, Bottom Dollar, and Cloudstrike.
- Heavy – Added Gjallarhorn, Ascendancy, Bad Omens, Quickfang, Half-Truths, Sleeper Simulant, and Memory Interdict. Removed Code Duello, Truth, Xenophage, Seventh Seraph SAW, Commemoration, and Anarchy.
- Kinetic – Added Dead Man’s Tale. Removed No Time to Explain.
- Energy – Added Bottom Dollar and Igneous Hammer. Removed Fighting Lion.
- Heavy – No changes.
- Kinetic – Added Extraordinary Rendition, The Huckleberry, Sweet Business, and Thorn. Removed Hailing Confusion, Cold Denial, Monte Carlo, Dire Promise, Malfeasance, and True Prophecy.
- Energy – Added Ticuu’s Divination, Salvager’s Salvo, and Fighting Lion. Removed Death Adder, Adored, Beloved, Xenoclast IV, Bonechiller, Seventh Seraph CQC, and Stars in Shadow.
- Heavy – Added Code Duello, Eyes of Tomorrow, and Truth. Removed Honor’s Edge, Steel Sybil Z-14, Thermal Erosion, Salvation’s Grip, Crowd Pleaser, and Interference VI.
- Kinetic – Added False Promises and Sweet Business. Removed Escape Velocity.
- Energy – Added Seventh Seraph CQC.
- Heavy – No changes.
December 2020 (Beyond Light Update 2)
- Kinetic – Added Seventh Seraph Carbine, Witherhoard, Cold Denial, Heritage, and SUROS Regime.
- Energy – Added Seventh Seraph VY-7, Cloudstrike, and Beloved.
- Heavy – Added The Lament, Seventh Seraph SAW, Commemoration, and Temptation’s Hook.
November 2020 (Beyond Light Update 1)
- Kinetic – Added No Time to Explain, Escape Velocity, Dire Promise, Hailing Confusion, Night Watch, and Stars in Shadow. Removed Mountaintop, Sweet Business, Steelfeather Repeater, Exit Strategy, Perfect Paradox, Randy’s Throwing Knife, Breachlight, Spare Rations, Breakneck, The Huckleberry, and SUROS Regime.
- Energy – Added Gnawing Hunger, IKELOS SMG, Adored, Xenoclast IV, Truthteller, Trinity Ghoul, and Bonechiller. Removed The Recluse, Sunshot, Hard Light, Seventh Seraph VY-7, Telesto, Tommy’s Matchbook, The Summoner, and Prometheus Lens.
- Heavy – Added Falling Guillotine, Crowd Pleaser, Salvation’s Grip, Anarchy, Interference VI, and Thermal Erosion. Removed Hammerhead, Heir Apparent, 21% Delirium, Truth, Wendigo GL3, and Black Talon.
- Kinetic – Added Malfeasance.
- Energy – Added Tommy’s Matchbook. Removed Loaded Question.
- Heavy – Added Heir Apparent, Honor’s Edge, Steel Sybil Z-14, and Bad Omens. Removed Night Terror, Worldline Zero, and Thunderlord.
- Kinetic – Added Breakneck, The Huckleberry, Exit Strategy, SUROS Regime.
- Energy – Added The Summoner, Seventh Seraph VY-7, Prometheus Lens, Sunshot. Removed Tommy’s Matchbook.
- Power – Added Worldline Zero, Black Talon, Interference VI, Night Terror.
- Kinetic – Added Spare Rations, Breachlight, SUROS Regime. Removed Dust Rock Blues, No Turning Back, Bygones.
- Energy – Added Tommy’s Matchbook, Hard Light, Loaded Question, Telesto. Removed Subtle Calamity, Symmetry, Lord of Wolves, IKELOS SG, Mindbender’s Ambition.
- Power – Added Wendigo GL3. Removed Pyroclastic Flow, Zenobia-D, Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Monte Carlo, The Mountaintop, Breakneck. Removed Parcel of Stardust, Cold Front.
- Energy – Removed Last Man Standing.
- Power – Removed Avalanche.
- Kinetic – Added No Turning Back, Bygones, Cold Front, Dust Rock Blues. Removed Threat Level, One Small Step, Exit Strategy, The Mountaintop.
- Energy – Added Python, Jotunn. Removed Prophet of Doom, Wishbringer.
- Power – Added Avalanche, Pyroclastic Flow, Zenobia-D. Removed Edgewise, Legend of Acrius, Wendigo GL3.
December 2019 (Season of Dawn Update)
- Kinetic – Added Wish-Ender, Perfect Paradox, Steelfeather Repeater, Threat Level, Parcel of Stardust, One Small Step, Randy’s Throwing Knife. Removed Braytech Werewolf, Breakneck, Monte Carlo, SUROS Regime, Huckleberry, Ace of Spades, Malfeasance.
- Energy – Added Added Lord of Wolves, Symmetry, IKELOS SG, Last Man Standing, Prophet of Doom, Mindbender’s Ambition, Wishbringer. Removed Bug-Out Bag, Subjunctive, Eriana’s Vow, Sunshot, Misfit, Arsenic Bite, Jotunn, Loaded Question.
- Power – Added Tractor Cannon, Xenophage, Legend of Acrius, Edgewise. Removed Leviathan’s Bow, Zenobia-D, Edge Transit, Through Fire and Flood.
- Kinetic – Added Braytech Werewolf, Exit Strategy, SUROS Regime, Malfeasance. Removed Pillager, Bygones, Hazard of the Cast, Cerberus+1.
- Energy – Added Subtle Calamity, Bug-Out Bag, Sunshot. Removed Arc Logic.
- Power – Added Levithan’s Breath, Wendigo GL3, Through Fire and Flood. Removed A Fine Memorial, Deathbringer.
- Kinetic – Added Go Figure, Sweet Business, Hazard of the Cast, Monte Carlo, Pillager, Cerberus+1. Removed Blast Furnace, Outbreak Perfected, Spare Rations, Malfeasance, Austringer.
- Energy – Added Eriana’s Vow, Subjunctive, Arc Logic. Removed Telesto, Le Monarque, Ikelos.
- Power – Added Deathbringer, Zenobia-D, A Fine Memorial, Edge Transit. Removed Fixed Odds, One Thousand Voices, Outrageous Fortune, Swarm of the Raven, Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Spare Rations, Malfeasance. Removed Go Figure, Bad Juju.
- Energy – Added IKELOS, Misfit. Removed CALUS Mini-Tool, Sunshot.
- Power – Added Bad Omens. Removed Bane of Sorrow.
- Kinetic – Added The Mountaintop and Go Figure. Removed Malfaesance and Lumina.
- Energy – Added Riskrunner, CALUS Mini-Tool, Sunshot, and Telesto. Removed Trinity Ghoul and IKELOS Shotgun.
- Power – Added Tractor Cannon, Outrageous Fortune, and Swarm of the Raven. Removed Bad Omens, Zenobia-D, and Wendigo GL3.
- Kinetic – Added Lumina, Bad Juju, and Malfeasance. Removed Wish-Ender, Spiteful Fang, Go Figure, The Mountaintop, Threat Level, and No Turning Back.
- Energy – Added Loaded Question, CALUS Mini-Tool, and Beloved. Removed Telesto, Riskrunner, and The Vow.
- Power – Added Fixed Odds and Wendigo GL3. Removed Outrageous Fortune, Edge Transit, and Tractor Cannon.
- Kinetic – Added Wish Ender, The Spiteful Fang, The Mountaintop, and Threat Level. Removed Thorn, Malfeasance, Midnight Coup, and The Huckleberry.
- Energy – Added Le Monarque, Subtle Calamity, Arsenic Bite-4b, Trinity Ghoul, and The Vow. Removed Lord of Wolves, Misfit, Prometheus Lens, Trust, and Last Man Standing.
- Power – Added Bane of Sorrow and Edge Transit. Removed Avalanche and Play of the Game.
- Kinetic – Added Outbreak Perfected. Removed Arbalest.
- Energy – Removed The Ringing Nail, Kindled Orchid. Added Trust and Last Man Standing.
- Power – Removed The Wardcliff Coil. Added Play of the Game.
- Kinetic – Added Arbalest. Removed Threat Level.
- Energy –Added Kindled Orchid and The Recluse. Removed Badlander.
- Power – Added Outrageous Fortune.
And that’s that four our guide to the best Gambit weapons in Destiny 2! Thanks for taking the time to check it out. We wish all of you trigger happy Guardians out there the best of luck with those motes of light.